A warning about Stealers shonky servicing
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: A warning about Stealers shonky servicing

Fellow Frogger!

Default A warning about Stealers shonky servicing

A Pug 308D in the family has been giving trouble of late. Only been used whenever the owners are back in Bris [they've been getting dizzy doing the big trip dragging a 3 and half ton caravan] but lately used by their daughter as a daily. It's now at 60,000 ks and regularly serviced from new by the main distributor/dealer here in Bris.
    Now of late it's been unexpectedly shutting down at odd intervals. Sometimes it will restart, sometimes it wont until it's been rested.

RACQ couldn't find a fault, so it was flat topped to a Pug repair shop, but NOT the stealers because of time limitations, where like the RACQ they only managed to get a single generic code readout, which could have been anything.

So going it alone the mechanic quickly found a severely blocked fuel filter, along with a choked air and apparently disgusting pollen filter.

Evidently the fuel filter has a special print mark on it which is only on filters used by the factory assembly line. So from this we may deduce it's never been changed, and from the condition of the other filters we may say ditto.

Advertisement

The car is now running like new again but I wonder what the diagnostic outcome would have been from the stealers had the car gone to them. [insert long sigh of relief from the exchequer]

Must warn the other family member who also owns a low klm 308D serviced by the same shonky stealer.

I call bullshit how many ks on it what year model stealer is a stupid term in my long experience itís these backyard guys thatís do the most of the half assed servicing the paint mark dribble is simply not true

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Kim Luck and Mi16 Man like this.

60,000 Ks.

Dealers have been exposed a number of times for poor servicing. Backyard guys have too, but that's not the point, really.
    shanadoo likes this.

What is the point again what year model so your saying twice at least they didnít replace the filter what motor does it have

Youíve made a sweeping comment with no back up post your service book as a photo

Kim Luck likes this.

You go to the dealer because you have to, you go to the back yard guy because you want to.

The dealer has some contractual obligations, the back yard guy doesn't and because you chose to see him, you accept this as a matter of fact.

There is no excuse for the dealer to not do their job as per contract.

The back yard guy is going to do the job you ask him to do. If they are very very nice, they might poke around and alert you to other things, but it is up to you to decide where you go from there. From what I know about people, they don't want to know, they just want the cheap and easy way out hence most back yard guys don't bother very much.

That said, most people don't read their contracts very carefully, and end up disappointed with dealers and so on.

I think this situation is a matter of the owner going back and asking to see what exactly has been done on the car by the dealer and checking if that is in accordance with the contract they signed.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

When I book the vehicle for capped price dealer service. I insist that the service dude make a note on work requisition that all parts which are removed (excepting fluids) and replaced are to be given back to me.

I check what has been given back and check what I've been invoiced for. Before I settle the invoice.

It's a sad fact that this is necessary.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

As a professional Mechanic I was workshop controller for a dealership and the only qualified mechanis where me The service manager and the service advisors. Would I tell anyone to go to a dealership for anything other than waranty recall items
    , I don't think so.
    ducksonetime and shanadoo like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Deler service

Find a good speciialist and forget about the rip off dealers if you really want the best service life for your car.
    ducksonetime and shanadoo like this.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    ... I check what has been given back and check what I've been invoiced for. Before I settle the invoice.
    The apprentice might just go dumpster diving to fish something out of the skip to give you over the counter!
    shanadoo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The apprentice might just go dumpster diving to fish something out of the skip to give you over the counter!
    If I had that level of distrust I'd prefer not to use that dealer.

I also have some faith in my ability to recognize parts which are applicable to my vehicle, which after all, is not all that common.
    craig latta likes this.

If I had that level of distrust I'd prefer not to use that dealer.

I also have some faith in my ability to recognize parts which are applicable to my vehicle, which after all, is not all that common.
    I do worry that unscrupulous service managers might retain a "library" of worn or damaged parts just to show customers like you, Rob! It's a sad fact that to have trust in a dealership that it might be necessary to bring out the metal stamps............
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Really and the earth is flat and we never went to the moon

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Really and the earth is flat and we never went to the moon

I wear a tinfoil hat every time I need to communicate with Aussiefrogs, but still background noise seems somehow to materialise.....
    dmccurtayne and shanadoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I wear a tinfoil hat every time I need to communicate with Aussiefrogs, but still background noise seems somehow to materialise.....
    Wear a stainless colander as well.

Your ADSL connection is degrading the signal to noise ratio.

Having said that, there more noise than signal in some members posts.
    David S likes this.

Many years ago I had a small hatchback (non-Euro) that I bought second-hand from a dealer. They acknowledged that the clutch was poor, and they promised they would adjust the clutch cable when I brought it in for its first service.

A few weeks after the first service I was poking around the engine bay and discovered a 3 inch piece of steel pipe had been placed in the clutch cable outer sheath to take up the slack in the loose cable... When I raised it with the service manager, he blamed me, saying that I did it with the purpose of denigrating his service staff! But why would I even bother going to that extent?!?

I rarely get my Peugeot serviced by anyone else but me, but when I do it's the Ultratune guys at East Maitland (I'm near Newcastle). Those guys are brilliant technically, and are very eager to provide comprehensive information regarding what work they have done. I can't fault them. If I had the money I wouldn't do the work myself - I'd leave it to them...

Fellow Frogger!

You know.....this whole diatribe , once reduced, come down to a lot of bullshit! Go with your instincts, trust your mechanics of choice and the rest is really down to you!
    For goodness sakes guys stop trading insults and get real!!!!!!!!
    Your cars...your problems........FIX 'EM!!!!!!!!!
    GRAHAM WALLIS, Dano and shanadoo like this.

Wear a stainless colander as well.
    How did you know I was a Pastafarian, or did I let it slip before?....
    bluey504 likes this.

Tadpole

I pick my service mechanics and am willing to travel 3 hrs for the correct service. worth all the time and trouble. Allan mackay motors the best ever.
    Mi16 Man and bahay like this.

...then of course there is the opposite extreme.

I get my daily driver serviced at the local Ultratune and always scan the workshop to see if there is any grey hair there whenever I leave my car with them, there always is some grey hair on duty. To my delight they oil my door hinges, black my tyres and believe it or not at some stage they have lubricated my sun visor pivot, I know this because dust is sticking to the lube.

Exhibit A:

A warning about Stealers shonky servicing-exhibit-.jpg
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 9th October 2017 at 08:48 AM.
    JohnW and Dano like this.

Fellow Frogger!

What is the point again what year model so your saying twice at least they didn’t replace the filter what motor does it have

Its a diesel as per my abbreviation calling it a 308D. However I fail to see what the hell difference the Brand, Mileage or year of manufacture has do do with it. Bad servicing is bad servicing end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Its a diesel as per my abbreviation calling it a 308D. However I fail to see what the hell difference the Brand, Mileage or year of manufacture has do do with it. Bad servicing is bad servicing end of story.
    My i30 had the same treatment.
    The independent (note not back yard….there is a third category of mechanics) mechanic saved the parts to show us as he was so dumfounded to how a car could be so neglected.

Air and pollen filter were most likely original fitment items.

One of the good things about my recently acquired Koleos was the fact that it had never been back to the stealers after day one.
    It got serviced at an independent workshop, and at 5000km intervals not 15000 as the book says.
    When my independent mechanic (Renotech) gave it a service and a poke around, it got a AAA rating.

So based on my experience, if I was in the market for the newish second hand car, dealer serviced would be a negative.
    Everyone else (especially the sellers) seem to think it is a positive!!

Jo
    pug206gti and shanadoo like this.

When does an independent or backyard mechanic get service updates from the manufacturer, Jo? How likely are they to alert you to an urgent safety recall? Will they replace the faulty item at their cost or is that service only available from a dealer? Over-servicing a car is pointless, every 5000 km from new for a diesel is totally stupid, the car will never "run-in" and all you are doing is wasting money. Those that live on the fringes (s/h French car owners?) seem to have an anti dealer mindset, fortunately, the majority don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    When does an independent or backyard mechanic get service updates from the manufacturer, Jo? How likely are they to alert you to an urgent safety recall? Will they replace the faulty item at their cost or is that service only available from a dealer? Over-servicing a car is pointless, every 5000 km from new for a diesel is totally stupid, the car will never "run-in" and all you are doing is wasting money. Those that live on the fringes (s/h French car owners?) seem to have an anti dealer mindset, fortunately, the majority don't.
    So it takes old dirty oil for an engine to become run in.
    Hmmm Interesting concept.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

What is the point again what year model so your saying twice at least they didn’t replace the filter what motor does it have

Point is, be aware that just because the dealer has a fancy building with a front man to meet and greet doesn't mean that they know what they're doing. Or that they give a damn about your pride an joy any more than the 'backyard type of shop would.
    If you're a 'dealer' servicing only person, consider that the same experienced so declared 'factory trained' mechanic could also be the very same bloke who's now working from the backyard or suburban workshop which you're so keen to rubbish. Work receipts mean nothing, and clean oil on the dipstick after a service means sweet Fanny Adams. And as far as asking for the old parts? well how do you know they actually came off your own car ?. Very few owners dismantle the car after service to see if the work has been carried out [although some do, believe me] so go where you choose, it's you vehicle, but don't rubbish someone else's right to cry foul.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information