205 GTi Earth points
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTi Earth points

I'm making new battery leads for a 1990 GTi (Series 1.5?). There is no earth point behind the windscreen washer bottle a la Series 3 and google is not being helpful?

Advertisement

Where does the original chassis earth point live on the early shells?

Fellow Frogger!

Doesn't the neg lead earth on top of the gearbox?

Yes. One grey lead from the gearbox to the neg terminal on the battery. The second yellow & green lead from the neg terminal attaches to the body. I can't find where unless it uses the bracket on the strut tower near the header tank.

Fellow Frogger!

I had a quick look and the yellow green goes back into the harness forward under the washer bottle and is mounted to the front panel behind the headlight under an earth block. Mine has an mi16 harness mixed in too so it might not be accurate. I do recall a yellow green earth wire under the old coil bracket on the tower though.

Yep, that is one Warus found, the other is symmetrically placed on the driver side. On my car there is also a ground point on the aluminium coil bracket/mount - ignition amplifier heatsink where the coil is ground as well as the sheath of the rev counter cable and the dizzy output cable sheath (these have an eyelet terminal).

I don't think the strut tower top is a ground, but rather a grounding contact for the shock shaft (need to check that one).

From your question bluey, it seems like the second ground terminates with a crimped female spade, I am not sure where that should go. On my car there is a second ground attached directly to one of the starter to gearbox bolts.

Checking behind the washer bottle, I found where the ground you were looking for might have been in the past, but it looks like it has been abandoned in my car.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd October 2017 at 07:59 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    I had a quick look and the yellow green goes back into the harness forward under the washer bottle and is mounted to the front panel behind the headlight under an earth block. Mine has an mi16 harness mixed in too so it might not be accurate. I do recall a yellow green earth wire under the old coil bracket on the tower though.
    I've got the coil bracket wire. Will look at the headlight earth block tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Fellow Frogger!

I looked through some old photos and found a pic of it before I took it apart. You can see the larger earth wire here going behind the earth block that has the little plastic cover. This is a S1 87.

Its behind the strut top where the coil mounts. Its a similar square welded thread. From memory its may also be part of a bracket the AFM bracket mounts to.

Fellow Frogger!

A couple of shots of the original setup where Cam is talking about I think.

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

and here is the blue negative terminal cable heading over to the gearbox earth point then the green yellow coming back again into the harness and off to the front of the car which I think is the one you want.

Thread Information