Peugeot 404 oil leakage
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By peugeotnut

Thread: Peugeot 404 oil leakage

Default Peugeot 404 oil leakage

Guy need some advice here, having some oil drip in between the gearbox bell housing and the engine block. Any idea what the issue? It's definitely engine oil as it is blackish.
    Planning to dismantle the engine soon to tackle this issue, thought maybe you guys could give me a head start here.

Advertisement

thanks.

Not knowing anything about 404's, the rear main seal seems the generic cause.
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk
    306 GTi6
    405 Mi16
    Series 5 RX-7 TurboII
    E30 325i

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe the 2 rubber stripe seals of the rear main bearing cap have gone.
    I think it can be fixed without seperating the engine and gearbox.

Other option: from the main oil channel plug at the back of the block beneath the camshaft.

Or maybe just from the valve cover or the oil pipe between the block and the head.

From my experience it could be a tappet cover leak.

These can be hard to seal with a old, hardened gasket, and the oil runs down the back of the head, onto the bell housing.

Quite often you also get some oil on the exhaust manifold.

Is there any sign of a "oil burning" smell after starting ?
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Guys thanks for the info. Some parts that I have reconfirmed this morning...
    1) no leaks from the pipe at the rear of the cylinder head
    2) no leaks from cylinders head and above.

There's a bad leak at the fuel pump mounts, but the drip does not lead to the gearbox bell.

I still have to remove the engine to check the clutch condition, the car seems to lack pickup, engine is revving but sometimes just refuses to go, but on reverse there's no problem.

Maybe oil filler alloy casting into block
    Gasket maybe there leaking
    There's no round oil seal on rear of crank

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

are you sure it's not simply from the sump gasket?
    so either the rubber seals at the rear bearing or the oil plug beneath the camshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    Guys thanks for the info. Some parts that I have reconfirmed this morning...
    1) no leaks from the pipe at the rear of the cylinder head
    2) no leaks from cylinders head and above.

There's a bad leak at the fuel pump mounts, but the drip does not lead to the gearbox bell.

I still have to remove the engine to check the clutch condition, the car seems to lack pickup, engine is revving but sometimes just refuses to go, but on reverse there's no problem.
    I'd fix that leak regardless. With the forward motion of the vehicle it's plausible that the oil is finding its way towards the back of the engine.

Had the engine removed today, the leak seem to be coming from the rear part of the oil sump, hopefully it's just the gasket.. Some other issues found was a dislodged engine mounting, flywheel also needs skimming.

Is the clutch bearing suppose to be like in the second picture? one side is hook shape and the other flat.

Just wandering if I were to replace the gearbox mount do I need to remove the propeller shaft?
    Peugeot 404 oil leakage-20171004_173450.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171004_172710.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171004_172743.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171004_133548.jpg

Thanks guys for all the tips and inputs given.

Fellow Frogger!

flywheel also needs skimming.

Is the clutch bearing suppose to be like in the second picture? one side is hook shape and the other flat.

yep, that's the old style bearing.
    the flywheel looks finished to me, you gonna skim a lot which might cause problems, just remember to skim the same amount from the surface to which the pressure plate bolts.

have fun in fitting the engine back, a helper is very much desired.
    after having luck in inserting the input shaft end into the spigot bush, engage into gear, than the secret is one man turning the crank slowly while another man pushes the lump until the splines match and the friction disc slides over the input shaft. then gearbox into neutral and turning the engine to match it to the clutch housing.
    Last edited by 2pac; 5th October 2017 at 06:49 AM.

Guys..
    installed a new sump gasket and also replaced the two vertical seals on the lower main bearing holder. Not mistaken 2pac did mention about this seals in his earlier replies.

One thing I noticed is the similarities between the 404 oil pump and the 204 oil pump although the filter is totally different. Has anyone used a 204 oil pump on a 404?
    Peugeot 404 oil leakage-20171005_142759.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171005_142926.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171008_132843.jpg

Had the engine removed today, the leak seem to be coming from the rear part of the oil sump, hopefully it's just the gasket.. Some other issues found was a dislodged engine mounting, flywheel also needs skimming.

Just wandering if I were to replace the gearbox mount do I need to remove the propeller shaft?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_173450.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	100469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_172710.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	100470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_172743.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	100471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171004_133548.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	100472

Thanks guys for all the tips and inputs given.
    Peugeot 404 Utility Project

In my experience, there is no "removing the propshaft". See my entry 2/12/16.

I found when I was assembling the drive assembly that getting the splines to line up was a nightmare. Mind you, mines a ute with leaf springs that moved a lot. It may be do-able for coils, but I had to bolt everything together off the car then lift the whole shebang into place in one piece. I reckon the best thing to use is an old door fitted with 4 good castors plus a couple of jacks.

For God's sake when you lift it in fit the top GB mount 1st while you have the hole lined up.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Tadpole

When you have the flywheel skimmed see if you can have it balanced as well. I had it done once and it made quite a bit of difference in engine vibration. All depending on available cash of-cause.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsmith1100 View Post
    When you have the flywheel skimmed see if you can have it balanced as well. I had it done once and it made quite a bit of difference in engine vibration. All depending on available cash of-cause.
    Balance the clutch pressure plate on the flywheel too.

It's surprising how far out balance they can be.

Peugeot 404 oil leakage-balance-04.jpg

Lewin up here in Brisbane used to say that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Lewin up here in Brisbane used to say that too.
    IMO if you send an engine away to be balanced, you send all the rotating components too.

pressure plate
    flywheel
    crank shaft
    connecting rods
    pistons and pins
    front pulley
    Peter Chisholm likes this.

If I'm gonna overhaul the engine than I will send the required parts for balancing, trying my best not to touch the engine.
    After several attempts today I managed to install the tranny back. took me almost 4 hours This is how I found it

1) Connect the torque tube to the tranny mounting and bolt it to the car(3 bolts)
    2) Slowly slide in the tranny, make sure the universal joint slips into the long shaft gear.
    3) Tighten the lower bolts (2 of 4 bolts) connecting the tranny mounting to the tranny.
    4) Using a jack, just raise it just enough to hold the lower portion of the tranny and remove the three bolts holding the tranny mounting to the car.
    5) slowly lower the jack that's holding the tranny, just enough to tighten the upper two bolts from the tranny mounting to the tranny.
    6) Raise the tranny back to tighten the 3 bolts holds the tranny mounting to the car body.

What a relief, .
    I painted the mounting red so that I could observe the condition of the mounting in the near future.

Peugeot 404 oil leakage-20171015_164004-1.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171015_164058.jpgPeugeot 404 oil leakage-20171015_091812.jpg

They all drip a bit from the front I have found, so I wonder if anyone has mounted a neoprene front crank seal on a 404 Injection or 504 TI engine.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection in restoration NOW!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Mike,

I have modified my 403 timing cover to fit an oil seal. Cannot seem to find the picture now.
    Mike Tippett likes this.

Thread Information