Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mi16pug
  • 1 Post By PeterT
  • 1 Post By speaksgeek
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: oil catch install MI16

Default oil catch install MI16

Hi All,

Hoping I can get some help with location/installation for a oil catch can to remove the oil reticulation systems which clogs up the intake. Would like info on physical location people have installed them and also the hoses/plumbing arrangement.

Also after any recommendations of off the shelf oil catch cans which suit the MI16 or advice from others who have done it.

Advertisement

Thanks,
    Geoff

oil catch install MI16-oil-breather-mi16.jpg
    michael_ozzie likes this.

The best solution is to run a hose out of the cam cover and dump it on to the road EH Holden style.

You can add a catch can behind the LH headlight if you like, but most importantly don't suck anything back into the inlet

Can't dump the return oil line to fresh air as used as a Tarmac Rally car, won't pass scruitineering.

What about running the oil return line that goes back to the air intake into a ventilated catch can and blocking up the air intake line?

Fellow Frogger!

I'd be looking at proflow, they have a few quite good looking tanks.
    for CAMS I think it has to be 2L.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

This pic may explain it better. Put a tee in hose #6, the outlet of which goes to your 2L catch tank. Remove the hoses between the filler cap, TB and the AFM hose. Use rubber caps of the appropriate size & hose clamps to bung them. Rare Spare, Supercheap etc. sell them. You still need the hose between the AFM and the idle speed motor.

The catch tank will still vent to fresh air, as they all do.

Keep in mind that the hoses you modify/remove are rare and no longer available. Preferably, find a new hose to replace #6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oil catch install MI16-oil-breather-mi16-mods.jpg  
    ducksonetime likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks Peter - clear as. Appreciate it. Geoff

Any idea what catch can you are installing? I'm looking at buying one myself and I may have settled on a Misimoto 2-port compact oil catch can. Has proper baffling and a 50 micron filter to condense any vapours, as well as diverters so that the oil vapour doesn't just go in one port and straight out the other. Looks pretty good, thoughts or other options?
    https://www.mishimoto.com.au/compact...an-2-port.html
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo, Four Mikuni R1 carburettors, external waste gate, Microsquirt ignition, 5 speed.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    Any idea what catch can you are installing? I'm looking at buying one myself and I may have settled on a Misimoto 2-port compact oil catch can. Has proper baffling and a 50 micron filter to condense any vapours, as well as diverters so that the oil vapour doesn't just go in one port and straight out the other. Looks pretty good, thoughts or other options?
    https://www.mishimoto.com.au/compact...an-2-port.html
    To re-iterate, if you're installing a catch can that will have to pass CAMS scrutineering, it must be minimum 2L if any part of it is vented to atmosphere.
    I like the look of this Catch Can 2L w/Drain Tap & Breather Natural, but they have a few options.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    To re-iterate, if you're installing a catch can that will have to pass CAMS scrutineering, it must be minimum 2L if any part of it is vented to atmosphere.
    I like the look of this Catch Can 2L w/Drain Tap & Breather Natural, but they have a few options.
    I'm in the process of installing ITBs so I've been looking into this. I didn't know about the CAMS capacity requirement though, so thanks for that!

Might pick one of these up with a barbed fitting and blank off the other inlet.
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk
    306 GTi6
    405 Mi16
    Series 5 RX-7 TurboII
    E30 325i

I also just looked at the CAMS requirements - and yup, 2L for a sealed unit. HOWEVER (!), if you install a sealed (i.e - non-vented) unit and plumb it into existing pipework, you're all good and the catch can can be much smaller.

Peter T - do you think the attached works as a sealed system (without the oil catch can air vent as per the pic)? Seems to make sense tapping off before the return to the intake and TB and then returning clean air to the intake & TB.....thoughts?
    oil catch install MI16-oil-breather-mi16-mods-sealed.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

A big part of the point is that you no longer recycle dirty air into the intake.
    ducksonetime likes this.

I agree, the whole point is to avoid putting oil or oil vapour in the inlet manifold. I can't see how that solution in the picture is any better than the standard system. Just run a 2L catch tank, vented to atmosphere.
    ducksonetime likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information