Peugeot 205 GTI Rear Beam
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PeterT

Thread: Peugeot 205 GTI Rear Beam

Default Peugeot 205 GTI Rear Beam

I have found out through this forum that the beam in my GTI is a SI Beam. I have a damaged GTI here with the correct beam and bars. How do I determine if it meeds proper GTI beam needs refurbishing or not. So far I have only removed the ARB and removed the screws for the torsion bars. From a visual inspection the beam trailing arms seem ok but not sure what to look for?

Advertisement

If there is ANY movement of the trailing arm in the beam, it will need overhaul. The outer roller race generally disintergrates but if caught early the trailing arm shafts will possibly be only lightly marked and still within tolerances, thus reusable. A little googling will find detailed instruction on overhaul if you want to do it yourself; last year I did mine in situ but is easier on bench. If shafts are required, I was very pleased with the quality of the Polish SNF shaft and bearing kit I bought on the net; about $300 delivered.

Thanks Monteman I have found the article on pulling the beam apart, let's hope it is in reasonable condition and not to far gone

VIP Sponsor

I have done a few lately, all have needed new shafts. There is virtually no chance the beam will be in proper usuable condition.

Thanks Graham I will give an update in a couple of weeks.

You will need to borrow or make a special tool to extract the inner roller bearing; basically a 1/2"" threaded rod with a 3mm thick washer with outside diameter 0.5mm smaller than the replacement roller bearing, with two opposing sides ground down to allow the washer to pass easily through the centre of the bearing. A 1/2" elongated slot is then cut in the centre parallel to the flat sides, and relieved to allow the washer to pass through the inner bearing when fitted on the threaded rod. Make sure you measure the depth of the outer face of the existing bearing from the outer tube surface before removal to assist in driving in the replacement correctly. Even with the extractor heavily preloaded, these bearings can be hard to shift, and a little help from a 25mm steel water pipe inserted from the opposite side and a club hammer, usually gets the process underway.
    if you are replacing the shafts in the trailing arms please note this tested the limits of my 15 ton press.

VIP Sponsor

How do you pull the outer bearing Graham?

You need a pair of these. I also have a mandrel which I load the new inner bearing onto, which ensures it sits at the correct depth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 205 GTI Rear Beam-screen-shot-2017-09-28-8.08.45-am.jpg  
    CEyssens likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Graham, I removed one outer bearing with a similar washer as described by Peter T, but one was so damaged it collapsed and had to be carefully winkled out with a Dremel disc and sharp mini chisel. The long mandrel used by Peter T to keep the new bearings square is IMHP the best way to do it, but I didn't have a suitable piece of alloy bar at the time and got away with a 100mm one with a 1/2" hole through the centre, pulling it in from the other side with the metre long threaded rod.

Thread Information