• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 1 Post By Codman

Thread: Advice on buying 205 or 306

Tadpole

Default Advice on buying 205 or 306

Some lowlife stole my daughter's Porsche 924 and torched it last night! It was her first car and she has had it for 6 years so it has upset her greatly. We now need to find another car and am after opinions on the 205 and 306. She is not a speedster but regularly drives 350 kms and enjoyed the Porsche's handling- I have to admit, I looked forward to her visits so that I could drive it as well. Any faults to be aware of?

Advertisement

Most 205s are going to be either expensive as a restored car or expensive to fix properly for a fixer upper.

There is more chance you will find a nice 306 even the gti or S16 varients that are a much more comfortable daily car. They all have aircon and power steer/windows.

Like most cars of this age service history is key to finding a nice car. There durable cars and can often be neglected because of this. It should drive well without any suspension noise. Worn bushes makes them awful to drive.

Most 205s are going to be either expensive as a restored car or expensive to fix properly for a fixer upper.

There is more chance you will find a nice 306 even the gti or S16 varients that are a much more comfortable daily car. They all have aircon and power steer/windows.

Like most cars of this age service history is key to finding a nice car. There durable cars and can often be neglected because of this. It should drive well without any suspension noise. Worn bushes makes them awful to drive.

What's the budget?

If under 5k, go for the 306 (any model, but you could land even a top spec GTI6 for that money) a much safer car for the young driver.

Actually, forget about the 205 for a young inexperienced driver, even if a girl.

For my money, I would have gone for the recently sold Mi16 (2k for what looked like a really nice car with rather low km for age), no doubt a car with superior handling and safety than the ancient 924. You would have liked it too, I promise you.

Wait for Dave C to chime in on the safety of the 306 and 405Mi16 (or other).

At similar (or less) money you can find (with some effort, but no more than finding a good 924, I imagine) a 405SRI or GRI, way underrated cars, hence low prices for good ones.

The 205 is a nice toy, but prices are getting silly and it is always a possibility you will spend inordinate amounts of cash to get it where you want it, depending on luck, buying power, cars available, previous ownership, luck, your technical ability, tastes and did I mention luck? Nah, forget about it. I would avoid a modified car like the plague, which is already a tall ask here. Which means you're looking at silly money for a nice, original car (which will still have problems and need money spent to get a non-technical savvy owner going reliably).

From a safety standpoint, the 205 is made of sticky tape held together with french spit and it will dent if you look at it the wrong way in the morning.

Oh, and if you consider AC a must, do yourself a favour and again, look elsewhere.

I live with a 205GTi daily drive.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 13th September 2017 at 02:31 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I love the 205, but it is not a good car if you regularly do distances like 350km.

A nice 306GTi6 would be vastly better for that, and much safer.

FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

What a nice car!

Doesn't look to be a GTI as advertised, but vastly superior for the intended user than a 205 and a good point to start for price negotiation. And low mileage. Really nice car if all checks out. You guys have such a good choice range over east!

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I found my 306GTI's low gearing can be tiresome on sustained 100kph+ however if there is corners you forget this very quickly.
    I must say though if for an engaging daily all rounder car the 206RC seems incredible, it has great pug feel and handling, great gearing and rapid power, a lighter clutch certainly than the 205/306 with all the nicitys, air-con, airbags, cozy interior.
    pug-life likes this.

I thought that was why the GTI6 had 6 speeds, to give some decent cruising at the top of the close ratio 'box? What kind of revs are we talking at 100-110km/h?

Tadpole

The 206gti's look good. Reasonably priced and plenty to choose from. Looks like some quality father daughter time coming up checking out cars. Luckily she doesn't have to wait for the insurance payout.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I thought that was why the GTI6 had 6 speeds, to give some decent cruising at the top of the close ratio 'box? What kind of revs are we talking at 100-110km/h?
    I'd have to get out the spreadsheet again, but I was recently doing these numbers for a different reason.
    From memory, although the GTI6 does have a lower 6th gear than the 206 GTi 180 5th for example, the final drive ratio means they end up about the same - approx 3300rpm at 100? Basically, a closer gearbox, but sameish RPM in top gear.

I agree on the 206 (unsurprisingly). Mine used to do regular trips of 3.5hrs without any real issue, but it's right on the start of the torque curve, and always wants to go a bit faster than 100-110. About 130 suited it nicely in 5th.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

That would be about right for Euro freeways, these days pretty much all limited at 130km/h.

About the revs in the GTI6, that doesn't sound too bad. I think the 205GTI is at about 2750 around the same speed.

One can always go larger tyres if there's torque in reserve.

I have a 306 XSi as a daily driver, typically 40 or so kms per day? Use it on the weekends too. I've done a bit of work to it, mainly suspension as the shock absorbers and front bushes were tired at 200k kms.

Handles beautifully and is great fun to drive.

Find a good one and they're good reliable cars. There's one on this forum for sale (Sydney I think?) needing an alternator. From the pics looks very tidy. $1000...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information