604 gearbox's
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 604 gearbox's

604 gearbox's

Just wondering whats involved in converting a 604 to a manual. I read through some past posts and from what I can understand is that a reasonbly straight forward job. mallet
    The main queries I have are the following:

1) A BA10/5 or 7/5 would be the most suitable, would a BA7/4 handle the job.

2) What bellhousing and clutch would be required.

3) conversion of the pedal box and installation of a clutch slave cylinder

Advertisement

4) connection of the reversing lights

and anything else I haven't thought of

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

It's all pretty straightforward as long as you have a bellhousing for a V6 to fit a BA10. A right hand drive bellhousing.

There was never a production bellhousing for a BA7.

I think you use all 504 pedals etc, the flywheel can come from a Volvo. If you can find one.

So it's probably easier to put up with the traumatic gearbox then?

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

If I were you I would just keep my eye open for the components. Source them over a period, if you get to the point where you have all you need, great. If not, no great loss...

For instance, if you get a flywheel and clutch, but find the gearbox impossible, then you might look at the alternative of fitting some other gearbox.

Pick up a Volvo 264 auto bellhousing, get a Celica or Supra box, grab a 504 'link tube' and tail shaft and when you're ready just modify these bits to suit.

Get a plate made to adapt the box to the auto bellhousing, and make up a clutch operating mechanism within it. Get the adaptor made up to mate the back of the box to the link tube, get the right spline welded onto the shortened front of the 504 tail shaft.

One day it will all be ready and you can put it in.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    you have to run a BA 10/4,5 box
    if you aren't worried about power steering grab a LH drive bell housing
    use 505 master and slave cylinders and clutch pedal
    grab a flywheel when you get a bell housing
    use 505 clutch and pressure plate
    no mods needed to put the pedal in as the shaft is already there and you just pop the grommet out for the master cylinder
    reversing lights are simple as the wiring is already there as well from the auto box
    once you have a bell housing the box bolts straight in
    really it's all too simple
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I have a question on this topic..

Where would one get the bell housing and flywheel ?

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

The flywheel is probably easier than the bellhousing...

And you can get one made... read my earlier post.

Thanks guys, I'll try a few ovlov wreckers and see what i can find. The wreckers in Orange has 505's fairly often.

BTW Pugrambo you have a pm. deal

cheers!

Dont forget to jumper the park/neutral sensor wires, four to automajic two to manual. I forgot this step with my recent 505 conversion. Lights camera but no action. Late in the evening, go to bed, wake up during the night. Stupid, the car still thinks its an auto and is not getting a signal that it is in park or reverse. Get under put jumper wire between the two lights that did not activate the reverse lights. Hey presto, lights camera action.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

cruiserman:
    Dont forget to jumper the park/neutral sensor wires, four to automajic two to manual. I forgot this step with my recent 505 conversion. Lights camera but no action. Late in the evening, go to bed, wake up during the night. Stupid, the car still thinks its an auto and is not getting a signal that it is in park or reverse. Get under put jumper wire between the two lights that did not activate the reverse lights. Hey presto, lights camera action.
    I had to do that on my 604 when the auto switch went. It used to start only if you held the key on start while you pulled the t bar from park to drive. On the way it would start if you were luky, otherwise you had to jiggle it between drive and neutral. Wiring it up was easier.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!
    You have all overlooked an important part of the conversion and that is to remove most of the interior and cut a hole in the floor tunnel then put in a section of floor tunnel from a manual 504, with the cover plate to bolt in place, and locate in the right place to allow section of gears. No this is not a simple job. I have done a few and they are time consuming and tedious but they absolutely make the car, its really worth the effort.

Warren Gordon:
    You have all overlooked an important part of the conversion and that is to remove most of the interior and cut a hole in the floor tunnel then put in a section of floor tunnel from a manual 504, with the cover plate to bolt in place, and locate in the right place to allow section of gears. No this is not a simple job. I have done a few and they are time consuming and tedious but they absolutely make the car, its really worth the effort.
    i found the easiest thing to do here is to grab the part of the tunnel that screws into the 504 tunnel and use it as a template to cut the hole and then grab a jigsaw and cut the hole out
    use a late model 504 or a 505 gear lever setup (the one that bolts to the floor of the car not the one that bolts onto the torque tube as they tend to rattle over time) and bolt the bracket in place once you know where it goes and then bolt the cover into place

takes about 1/2-3/4 of an hour to do this part of the job once you have the seats and the centre console out of the car

take measurements from the donor car and you will find you are extrememly close to where you need to cut and bolt

i have converted a couple of 604's and 504's auto's to manual
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

pugrambo:
    i have converted a couple of 604's and 504's auto's to manual
    My father did a 505 also. I'll ask him what it involved.

Btw, what's happening with the V6 extractors over there in NSW?

Cheers,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

I'll have a set please if they're being made up.

cheers!

i was going to borrow the set from con but as yet i haven't been down to get them
    i was going to get them the weekend of the redex re-run but i found a roo instead
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I could pick them up if you want. I'd even be able to drop them out to you, It'd give me a reason to visit my mate at Narromine. Let me know if your interested in doing it that way.

cheers!

2 pugs:
    I could pick them up if you want. I'd even be able to drop them out to you, It'd give me a reason to visit my mate at Narromine. Let me know if your interested in doing it that way.

cheers!
    thanks for that
    i have the car back together again
    i just have to find time away from the business now and make a trip to sydney
    i have a few other things i need to look at while i'm in sydney as well
    i'll let you know how i go
    once again thank you
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Sean,

They are ready for you to borrow.

The way work is going, it doesn't look like I will be getting to Parkes any time soon.

con....

Could you use the flywheel off a 504? Also, could the Volvo auto bellhousing be made to fit the BA10/5 gearbox? Can the centre console be used with teh manual gearbox, or will I have to make another?
    I am seriously considering a conversion on my 604, as I am not fond of autos, especially the 604 auto, and I would like to see the old girl back on the road.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Pugnut403:
    Could you use the flywheel off a 504? Also, could the Volvo auto bellhousing be made to fit the BA10/5 gearbox? Can the centre console be used with teh manual gearbox, or will I have to make another?
    I am seriously considering a conversion on my 604, as I am not fond of autos, especially the 604 auto, and I would like to see the old girl back on the road.
    centre console is the same both auto and manual
    only the surround is different around the lever
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yes, I think the auto bellhousing from a Volvo will do the job. It has the benefit of having the starter location on both sides too.

But the flywheel is still a drama. I don't think a 504 flywheel will do, and there are very few manual Volvo 264s around (I always thought there were... but apparently no).

If the crankshaft flange and bolt pattern are the same, then I'd say you can work something out, but I'm dubious.

out of curiousity what would be the difference between a flywheel from an STI or GTI engine and the PRV V6 ??
    i have never laid my eyes on a flywheel from an STI or GTI engine
    i know i have always used 505 clutch and pressure plates behind a PRV V6 without any trouble
    so that tells me that the contact area on the flywheel for the clutch plate would be damn close between a 505 and 604 flywheel
    i also used 505 master and slave cylinders with the 505 clutch resevior and a late (79 onwards) 504 clutch pedal or a 505 clutch pedal
    you will find that the hinge pin for the pedal already exists in the 604 pedal box and there is a grommet behind where the pedal goes ready for the clutch rod to go through
    the brake pedals unlike other makes of cars is the same in the manual and auto 604's
    other makes of cars have a wider brake pedal
    i think for a bell housing you could cut the front 1/2 off the 604 auto and the back 1/2 off a 505 BA10/5 bell housing and mate them together
    all you need from the 604 auto housing is the mounting holes to mount it to the engine and the 505 housing to house the clutch and mount the box to it

as for the centre console you can order the plastic bits and the boot from peugeot and they literally clip into place where the auto bits are
    they are just 2 pieces of plastic
    grab a jigsaw and cut a hole in the tunnel and grab the gear lever assembly from a late 504 including the plate it mounts on that bolts to the tunnel and mount all that in the 604
    then use the tranny tunnel cover also from a 504 to cover the hole in again under the console

for the linkages shorten the throw linkage to give you a shorter throw on the lever as the throw is pretty long and not very comfortable in my opinion to drive
    it also makes it a lot easier to select reverse gear as the 604 seats seem to be a lot closer to the tunnel than 505's and the lever tends to bind on the seat or your hand hits the seat
    also a good idea is to shorten the actual lever as well by around 2 inches but do this after you get everything in place and shorten it to your liking
    i have long arms so i cut mine a fair way down

then put a good quality 20w/40w engine oil in the box
    if you live in a cold climate or in colder months run around 1/2 a litre of ATF in the box as well this will ease load on the synchros when the box is cold. i did this for the life of any BA10/5 that i ran and never had any trouble with cold changes and as ATF keeps it's viscosity rating as it gets warm it doesn't hurt the box either
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    sean,

if my memory serves me right, Rob Cherry (PCCV) used a Ford flywheel in his 504v6 (ex Volvo).

give him (or Bill Hamilton) a call.

con....

Thread Information