Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By jw205
  • 1 Post By CEyssens

Thread: 205 ppi

Tadpole

Default 205 ppi

Hello All,

Looking for a 205gti and trying to work out who the best folks are to carry out a PPI

Advertisement

Noted the "mechanics thread" in melbourne.

Thinking a list of suitable experts/shops in each of the capital cities may be useful for newbies?

Thanks in advance. J

Tadpole

Wow lots of folks have seen this and not one recommendation for who might be able to check out a Pug? Would have though this would be a good resource for anyone to access given that many may not have contacts, links to have someone check a car may not be close to them.

You need to ask the right questions TBH, most on here use it as a resource to build their own knowledge, also the huge influx of new users jumping on without contributing at all and asking about 205's is tiresome and plentiful, and so when someones first post is asking who can check out a 205 for them, it may not attract a lot of help.

Introduce yourself, give some background and what you are looking for, go to a Peugeot car club meet and talk to some folk, read through some posts on here, lurk and learn.

There are some great resources up in Sydney that you might be able to make use of, but very few will jump to help on a post like this.

I write this to be genuinely helpful so please don't feel I am attacking you.

Good luck

Cal

Tadpole

Thanks Cal, No offence. Yes a tad presumptive of me. Was looking at a decent gti (i.e. ideally no rust, running), fairly sound mechanically (is there such a thing?). Given its gonna be a 25+ year car, expect most will be tired given the flimsy nature of them to start with. Also appreciate above may vary/be subjective depending on each persons perspective. One persons great condition for example may not be, to others.
    Looking through a few of the restorations a lot of effort has gone into some!

Have you found the car?

What did you want inspected?

If you found a car in your price range, and with everything else you want, you're lucky. Buy it, and forget about inspections.

All of them are going to be pretty much the same by now, save for a few that have been restored , a few that have been garaged their entire life (those are not in Oz).

The rest is pretty much the same with minor variations.

Avoid modified cars like the plague (rule of thumb).

Drive it and if goes, stops and doesn't pull left or right, it's probably fine.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

It's hard to advise without knowing more about what you are after.

A mechanic could check a car mechanically for you but, frankly, the mechanicals on a 205 are usually pretty robust and most of the time they won't be determinant of whether a car is a good buy. Also, the few really good buys that come up sell very quickly so you typically won't have time to spend days getting it in for inspection. You really need to do lots of research to be able to spot a good one for yourself.
    A few thoughts for you:
    • As you no doubt know by now, the interiors of 205s are a problem - the dash plastics all crack and much of it is difficult to source to replace. Most mechanics won't know what's hard or easy to replace. You just need to learn that yourself.
    • The seats deteriorate. As a cheap fix, lots of people put in Si seats. If you want something original, you need to fix the GTI seats. That's not cheap.
    • Unless it's been re-done, the paintwork on most 205s is going to be poor. Research how much a good respray would cost you.
    • Lots of trim items are now getting hard and expensive to source (eg, the red stripes in the bumpers and bump strips). Again, a mechanic won't know this - you have to learn it yourself.
    • Most cars will need the rear beam rebuilt - about a $1k job if you can source parts yourself.
    • The market generally values originality. If someone has swapped parts around (like Si seats, s2 dash in an s1 car, s3 lights on an s2 car) that may not diminish the fun of driving it, but probably reduces the value. Most mechanics won't be able to pick all of this - you just have to learn what parts are right or not.
    • I agree with Schlitz that you should avoid a car that has been bastardised by amateurs who do cheap fixes rather than spend money on the car to fix it properly. Unfortunately, 205s have for many years been worth nothing so this is common. For example, Schlitz likes telling us how he has randomly rewired all sorts of things in his car, swapped mechanical parts around, changed how the fans trigger, done all sorts of backyard bodges. Maintaining and restoring such a car in the future will be a nightmare. A mechanic who really knows these cars might be able to pick this for you, but you also need to learn what things should look like and learn to pick a car like this and avoid them.

I hope some of those thoughts are helpful....

Richard
    Last edited by Richard W; 22nd September 2017 at 04:44 PM.
    FIVEDOOR and PDJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

[...]

For example, Schlitz likes telling us how he has randomly rewired all sorts of things in his car, swapped mechanical parts around, changed how the fans trigger, done all sorts of backyard bodges.

[...]
    Really?

Let see how much you know about my work.

I challenge you to point out one instance of "random backyard bodgery" in my work.

You have three options.

Accept the challenge, take your words back, or be considered a douchebag.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Come on Schlitz - you know you love telling us how much of the car you have rewired in your own special way. I would call rewiring the way the radiator fans trigger so they no longer come on in a staged fashion as the maker intended to be an act of backyard bodgery. I really can't be bothered to wade through your posts to extract others.

Gold.

[...]

I would call rewiring the way the radiator fans trigger so they no longer come on in a staged fashion as the maker intended to be an act of backyard bodgery. I really can't be bothered to wade through your posts to extract others.

Which is why I would call you a douchebag.

Popcorn + beer + good chair .....

I will bow out after this as I fear I can't match Schlutz's witty repartee.

To the point of the thread, however, 'modified' cars can include both cars like mine that have modifications that are easy to see (two red cam covers under the bonnet and number plates that say "16VALV" would give most people the clue), but it can include less obvious modification like Schlitz's home made rewire which would be likely to cause grief for anyone trying to work it out in the future.

Maybe you should buy an Si to get familiar with the 205, dirt cheap and you wont ruin a "proper" car if you mess something up during the learning process, and they're still a heap of fun.

Tadpole

Thanks guys (Codman, Richard, Schlitz, EvilElmo), very valid points and taken on board!

Main reason for an expert pair of eyes was to ensure a car is straight etc. Often cars that popup may not be feasible to see in person.

Did not mean to open a can of worms or facilitate some taking up a good vantage with popcorn etc :-)

Evil might be onto something there. That said will stay away from those for now.

If anyone knows of a decent/honest 205 on the 'grey' market do let us know.

Search continues!
    CEyssens likes this.

I will bow out after this as I fear I can't match Schlutz's witty repartee.

To the point of the thread, however, 'modified' cars can include both cars like mine that have modifications that are easy to see (two red cam covers under the bonnet and number plates that say "16VALV" would give most people the clue), but it can include less obvious modification like Schlitz's home made rewire which would be likely to cause grief for anyone trying to work it out in the future.

And that is why I called you on it.

Number one. My car will not be sold. Ever. It has little commercial value but great enjoyment value for me. More likely it will end up scrapped or given away given the little value it has.

Number two. All my wiring work is actually documented old school, with wiring diagrams (on paper, with colour coded pencils, you know, those things we used to write long ago). That is not for the benefit of others but my own, because I would likely not remember what I did if I didn't have those.

And the original diagrams are never exactly like what you find in your car with all the versions, years, markets and so on.

And I can't be effed reading the manuals any more with their crappy minuscule printing.

Default 205 ppi

Too funny this forum really is just as quirky as a French car 🤣

jw205 Some good advise here and on the forum in general. All the best finding the car you are after. Itís just time I suppose as they come up just in different states of being.
    My take is also that even the good ones need work from what Iíve seen on here. Iíd be looking for a good body, reasonable seats and dash if possible and one thatís been not messed with. Undoing old modifications can be a real pain.
    Oh and if one comes up, go see it straight away with intent to put a deposit if it checks out. Taking a knowledgeable person to inspect rather than ppi may be more practical, and just expect to spend some cash after you get it.
    cheers Craig
    Roland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    And that is why I called you on it.

Number one. My car will not be sold. Ever. It has little commercial value but great enjoyment value for me. More likely it will end up scrapped or given away given the little value it has.

Number two. All my wiring work is actually documented old school, with wiring diagrams (on paper, with colour coded pencils, you know, those things we used to write long ago). That is not for the benefit of others but my own, because I would likely not remember what I did if I didn't have those.

And the original diagrams are never exactly like what you find in your car with all the versions, years, markets and so on.

And I can't be effed reading the manuals any more with their crappy minuscule printing.
    If you have to eat crow, eat it whilst it's hot.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Bon apetit!

Thread Information