306, heater matrix and stop leak - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 306, heater matrix and stop leak

I guess the matrix can be regarded as sacrificial at this stage..... I think getting a custom-made matrix with non-plastic pipes with conventional hose clamps makes a lot of sense. Just don't forget how that dash came out....

Advertisement

What amazes/annoys/frustrates me about this whole class of modern cars, starting with for example Nissan Pulsars and Holden Commodes of the 1980s to show it isn't about French cars, is that the heater matrix is set up to be extraordinarily difficult, i.e. expensive to fix. Given the labour cost in the inevitable replacement, you'd like to think they'd be bullet proof, like my 54 year-old R8 matrix. Alas no.....
    505604 likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

The judicious use of AN20 90 degree barbed fittings will make this fairly easy, the hard part is mating to the matrix, needs some lather work, not that hard really.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Iíve got the matrix out and it has a manufacture date of 110500...

The leak was from the seals on the angled pipes that join the matrix end tank. The end tank looks fine. The aluminum is almost perfect. The seals were rock hard.

Not sure why they insist on having a second set of seals when a moulded end tank with the pipes on it would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So all is well with the matrix? That's nice if unhelpful to you at this stage! You mean it leaks where the pipes go into the matrix end?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Reading this thread I'm crossing all available fingers and toes as I currently have a fully functioning, leak free 306 with full climate control (heat and more importantly A/C). Not sure I have time or patience for a dash removal.
    Although I'm sure it's been done before, I reckon whoever did it left a few bolts undone...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    So all is well with the matrix? That's nice if unhelpful to you at this stage! You mean it leaks where the pipes go into the matrix end?
    The aluminium tubes and fins are immaculate and the end tank seal is good. Itís all come down to a couple of failed o-rings and plastic inside the car - which disintegrated when a bit of wriggling was done! Iíll add a pic which will show the seals I mean. Itís frustrating that if the end tank and pipes were one piece it would remove a source of leaks. Then the only seals would be engine bay side with the hoses.

Iím going to keep the car off the road for a bit longer to sort this out properly, Iím not happy with the replacement matrix I bought

Iíll look to get a valeo matrix and the hose fittings or use an electric matrix.

My daughter has just got her learners permit and the 306 will be her car to learn in and drive. So it needs to last a few more years. Itíll be hard to give up the 306!

It looks like a couple of cars use electric heaters - thereís the possibility that a Mercedes A/B series electric heater core will fit. Iím finding out the dimensions.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273481657469

If I use the electric option, to mis-quote from Jaws: ďI think you need a bigger alternatorĒ

Cheers,

Chris

hypermiler likes this.

Makes good sense to me. You don't want to that THAT job twice!! They've grown a bit since we bought the CX then.....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Get some viton o rings they will do the trick and last a lot longer. Quite easy just search for a supplier of o rings they will have them. Lucky girl!

Plus a good coolant!
    JohnW likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Matt, now Iíve given myself more time to fix it viton orings are on the list.

John, yes the kids have grown quickly and time seems to be flying by! I got to drive a DS as a P plate driver so a Peugeot 306 is not too bad.

Some pics:

Old matrix:

New matrix with dodgy seals:

Hose for bypassing the matrix ($10 or so from Auto Pro (most useful bit off a Ford falcon):

Bypass hose temporarily in place:

Iíll post some pics of the dash out for reference when itís less than 45 in the garage :-)

JohnW and 505604 like this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information