E10 as a 95 substitute - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: E10 as a 95 substitute

Tadpole

'Diesel' is the same as used by trucks. Premium diesel is the same stuff with additives to prevent all sorts of ailments on domestic cars. You can get the same effect by buying standard diesel and adding something yourself sourced from Repco, Supercheap and all of the other outfits that do oils and additives. There is no doubt in my mind that the premium stuff burns cleaner and helps keep injectors clean if you do a lot of stuff around town, but if you are just doing steady driving at a respectable engine rpm I am yet to be convinced of any advantage. I have not done the experiment myself because my nearest source of unadulterated diesel is not convenient, so I bow to the duopoly of BP and Caltex and use Premium. I went to my local Woolworths place a few months ago and filled up with the standard stuff, 70 litres, and I could feel the difference around town.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

In 6 mths of driving around Europe in a diesel motorhome I didn't see a lot of options for premium unleaded or premium diesel and in a lot of places you had 2 pumps petrol or diesel only. Premium diesel didn't seem to help when I tried it I still got about the same economy.
    Here I run all my petrol cars on E10 and when I have tried the Premium fuel I find no better performance or mileage.

Fellow Frogger!

Default E10 as a 95 substitute

Quote Originally Posted by frednierck View Post
    'Diesel' is the same as used by trucks. Premium diesel is the same stuff with additives to prevent all sorts of ailments on domestic cars. You can get the same effect by buying standard diesel and adding something yourself sourced from Repco, Supercheap and all of the other outfits that do oils and additives. There is no doubt in my mind that the premium stuff burns cleaner and helps keep injectors clean if you do a lot of stuff around town, but if you are just doing steady driving at a respectable engine rpm I am yet to be convinced of any advantage. I have not done the experiment myself because my nearest source of unadulterated diesel is not convenient, so I bow to the duopoly of BP and Caltex and use Premium. I went to my local Woolworths place a few months ago and filled up with the standard stuff, 70 litres, and I could feel the difference around town.
    I’ve always understood that Caltex premium diesel is Vortex which is what the supermarket sells.
    (apparently truck adblue isn’t suitable for light diesels either)

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

And Blue?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

The latest Peugeot deisel additive is basically truck adblu as near as anything.
    Nagaman likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Easy to decide for yourself if the cars manual say o.k.

I think the problem with E10 is that many older cars had seals and "rubber" parts like the fuel hoses and fuel pump components that broke down in contact with E10. Then there is the mileage and lots of urban myths, and it pays to promote defects in other fuels by rumour and add nice smelling stuff to encourage people to buy premium (higher priced) or "special" fuel to get people to prefer your marketed product.

Best advice is (if it is recommended for your car) is to use the product, do your own research and then just keep driving your car.
    I don't use ethanol based fuels myself mainly because of observation of bad experiences years back especially with valve seals giving up after a short time and smoky exhausts attract attention and fines..

Ken
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I think the problem with E10 is that many older cars had seals and "rubber" parts like the fuel hoses and fuel pump components that broke down in contact with E10. Then there is the mileage and lots of urban myths, and it pays to promote defects in other fuels by rumour and add nice smelling stuff to encourage people to buy premium (higher priced) or "special" fuel to get people to prefer your marketed product.

Best advice is (if it is recommended for your car) is to use the product, do your own research and then just keep driving your car.
    I don't use ethanol based fuels myself mainly because of observation of bad experiences years back especially with valve seals giving up after a short time and smoky exhausts attract attention and fines..

Ken
    A list-
    https://www.fcai.com.au/environment/...l-blend-petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    (apparently truck adblue isn’t suitable for light diesels either)
    AFAIK, there is only one version of Adblue. There are not "truck" and "light diesel" versions. The only difference is how it is dispensed: via a nozzle at the pump (cheap) versus in large bottles in the shop (not as cheap).
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    AFAIK, there is only one version of Adblue. There are not "truck" and "light diesel" versions. The only difference is how it is dispensed: via a nozzle at the pump (cheap) versus in large bottles in the shop (not as cheap).
    All I remember is that I saw a sign at a Caltex truck fueling station that said not suitable for light vehicles.

From the Caltex website:

Q: Is all AdBlue® the same?

A: Because Caltex AdBlue® is a fully VDA approved and certified product, it means our manufacturing processes have passed rigorous inspections and ongoing audits to ensure consistent product quality that complies with strict ISO standards. Only certified VDA AdBlue® suppliers are licensed to sell branded AdBlue®.

Non VDA approved urea solutions do not offer the same guarantee of performance, product quality, and consistency. Inconsistency of product due to inferior ingredients, contaminants and unsuitable manufacturing processes can lead to:

• Blocked sites within the SCR catalyst leading to downtime and costly repairs.
    • Reduced conversion of NOx causing increased frequency of system warning alerts.
    I suspect the sign you saw relates to the dispensing (ie. high flow pump or similar) and not the content.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

AdBlue is a 32.5% solution of urea in deionised water, not exactly hard to make, but the name is a trademark. There are over a dozen firms in Australia licensed to use the name.

Fellow Frogger!

From the Caltex website:

I suspect the sign you saw relates to the dispensing (ie. high flow pump or similar) and not the content.
    Don’t think it was a high flow Adblue warning.
    Maybe it’s to discourage light vehicles getting in the way.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    AdBlue is a 32.5% solution of urea in deionised water, not exactly hard to make, but the name is a trademark. There are over a dozen firms in Australia licensed to use the name.
    But is there a specific ‘truck’ version?.

Nagaman,Adblue is all the same,it's just a lot cheaper to buy it from a truckstop Adblue bowser with your own container or buy from the servo in a container.
    When you see the mark up at car dealers for a litre or two,it's a bit like people buying bottled water instead of filling from their tap.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by denxm View Post
    Nagaman,Adblue is all the same,it's just a lot cheaper to buy it from a truckstop Adblue bowser with your own container or buy from the servo in a container.
    When you see the mark up at car dealers for a litre or two,it's a bit like people buying bottled water instead of filling from their tap.
    That’s what I imagined.....I think the sign was about keeping the truck area clear.......nothing to do with being ‘unsuitable’.

IWS

From AdBlue for cars and other passenger vehicles | Yara

"SCR technology and the need for AdBlue® is becoming more and more common for cars and other passenger vehicles; such as 4x4s, mini-buses, MPVs or cars. You can now buy vehicles equipped with an SCR system that uses AdBlue from manufacturers such as : Renault, Peugeot, Citroën, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, GM / Opel, Ford, Toyota and Mazda. More and more manufacturers will introduce cars with SCR systems as the Euro 6 standard limiting nitrogen oxides emissions for cars and light-goods vehicles will be implemented in 2014 in the European Union."

1000+ Posts

Well there, That was all easily dealt with and done and dusted, both subjects, amazing.
    Nagaman likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

With E10 being 44.2c/L cheaper than the ‘flagged’ Melbourne Woolies 95 price rise, it’s a no-brainer.

I suspect you're being a little disingenuous with the margins - there maybe a clue in the "flagged Melbourne Woollies" term.

As an example, E10 near me is being sold for $1.409, whereas 98 is $1.609 - nowhere even close to a "44.2c/l" margin.

At any rate, if saving a bit of cash now is important to you, go for it
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

I suspect you're being a little disingenuous with the margins - there maybe a clue in the "flagged Melbourne Woollies" term.

As an example, E10 near me is being sold for $1.409, whereas 98 is $1.609 - nowhere even close to a "44.2c/l" margin.

At any rate, if saving a bit of cash now is important to you, go for it
    I happen to visit Melbourne often enough to make the small diversion via Broadmeadows an easy proposition........the comparison this morning still stands.
    Some people might consider a $25-30 saving reasonable.

Fellow Frogger!

I have used +10 for the last 10 years without problems in a 306 XSI Renault Scenic Renault Clio VW transporter and tested all against 98 with no appreciable difference in consumption or performance. I tend to think that a lot of pumps marked premium are not very.
    Some experts on the three brands have assured me that the world will end and the vehicles will disappear in a cloud of steam and even the 306 engine is shown in the charts as being unsuitable for ethanol mix showed no ill affects after some 70000 km in my care.
    Just my experience Regards Dennis.
    Armidillo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
    I have used +10 for the last 10 years without problems in a 306 XSI Renault Scenic Renault Clio VW transporter and tested all against 98 with no appreciable difference in consumption or performance. I tend to think that a lot of pumps marked premium are not very.
    Some experts on the three brands have assured me that the world will end and the vehicles will disappear in a cloud of steam and even the 306 engine is shown in the charts as being unsuitable for ethanol mix showed no ill affects after some 70000 km in my care.
    Just my experience Regards Dennis.
    Filled up again this morning (123.9c/l) and the notice on the green handle 95 pump says UP TOO 10* ethanol.
    There is no guarantee it’s not PULP therefore.
    I can’t detect any reduced economy after 7k on PULP then 5k on E10.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information