Peugeot 306 Wet carpet Front Passenger Footwell - How to dry?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By seasink
  • 3 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By N5GTi6
  • 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Rally
  • 1 Post By Mickles
  • 1 Post By Pugfan306HDI

Thread: Peugeot 306 Wet carpet Front Passenger Footwell - How to dry?

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 306 Wet carpet Front Passenger Footwell - How to dry?

Hi All,

Its my first post on the AF forum!

After a downpour of rain I found that the front passenger footwell was a mini swimming pool. I think I've sorted the water ingress issue (blocked sunroof drain under the windscreen wiper scuttle tray) and now I need advice on how to best dry the carpet.

Advertisement

I've read that I should vacuum as much of the water out with a shop vac (or equivalent) then douse with Sodium bicarbonate to soak up remaining water. Is this the way to proceed or do I need to lift the carpet? If so, what are the steps to do so?

Thanks in advance!

1000+ Posts

A sunroof did that to me once.

The baking soda is more a last step to keep mould at bay and attract the last of the moisture. Before then as well as the vac use towels, and give the car a day or even two with doors open and a decent fan blowing right through all the time. The short term enemy is mould and stink, and after that is rust.

If the lights on bothers you, take out the globe.
    Pugfan306HDI and Splintex like this.

COL

In my experience with wet carpet is to sponge out as much water as possible or if you have a wet & dry vac suck out as much water as possible. Park the car in the sun with all the doors open and dry the rest naturally.

Another hint also, turn off all the courtesy lights so that you don't end up with a flat battery.
    Pugfan306HDI, Roland and Splintex like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Tadpole

Thanks Seasink and Col,

Sage advice, I'm glad I don't need to lift the carpets!

This far I've dried as much as possible by hand but the carpet is still soaking wet. Intend to vacuum tonight and open the car up to air dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan306HDI View Post
    Thanks Seasink and Col,

Sage advice, I'm glad I don't need to lift the carpets!

This far I've dried as much as possible by hand but the carpet is still soaking wet. Intend to vacuum tonight and open the car up to air dry.

Vacuum any standing water first - Fold a few bathroom towels and place in the footwell - stand on them to sponge up remaining water. Keep the windows open for as many days as possible with the car parked in the sun outside where you might also get a breeze - don't leave it parked indoors where you get no air flow. No real need to keep the doors open.

Cheers

Justin
    Pugfan306HDI and Splintex like this.
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Vacuum any standing water first - Fold a few bathroom towels and place in the footwell - stand on them to sponge up remaining water. Keep the windows open for as many days as possible with the car parked in the sun outside where you might also get a breeze - don't leave it parked indoors where you get no air flow. No real need to keep the doors open.

Cheers

Justin
    Thanks Justin,

As a progress report I vacuumed last night and that made a considerable difference compared to blotting the carpet dry with towels.

During the day my car is parked in the open near a train station which leaves little opportunity to leave open so have placed some moisture absorbing beads in the area in the meantime.

When I get home tonight I'll towel as advised and open up to get some airflow in.

Regards,
    Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place a cardboard box upside down on the floor (open side down) and shove the exhaust side of the vacuum cleaner in and let it run for a couple of hours. Leave all the doors open.

Good Luck.

PS We have owned a water bed for over 40 years and they often leak and soak the carpet.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Tadpole

Wow that's a great solution. Thanks! ;-)

During the day my car is parked in the open near a train station which leaves little opportunity to leave open
    For a few days then, you might like to leave all windows cracked open about 1 centimeter. Not enough that someone can push them down further and get a hand in.
    Just that small amount of airflow will make a difference....esp on a hot day.
    Pugfan306HDI likes this.

1000+ Posts

Dry it quickly. The mould has already started. Rotting carpet isn't pleasant.
    Pugfan306HDI likes this.

Tadpole

After heavy rain in Melbourne today I have discovered that I haven't resolved the issue with the leak.

It would appear the water is running down the front of the door near the hinge and then entering onto the carpet where the speaker grill is.

I've cleared the drain for the sunroof so what are my next items to review for the cause of the leak?

I had the audio system upgraded which involved them taking off he doors and installing sound deadeners and I recall them having issues with fitting the new speakers so suspect that they either removed the waterproof membrane or at least removed it when fitting the speakers. Could
    This be the cause?

Is it also worthwhile removing and rotating the door seal to see if that's the issue?

There is a water shield over the speakers , if it is damaged or dislodged you will get water running into the car .
    A solution can be made with some heavy duty plastic and common sense .
    Pugfan306HDI likes this.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

After heavy rain in Melbourne today I have discovered that I haven't resolved the issue with the leak.

It would appear the water is running down the front of the door near the hinge and then entering onto the carpet where the speaker grill is.

I've cleared the drain for the sunroof so what are my next items to review for the cause of the leak?

I had the audio system upgraded which involved them taking off he doors and installing sound deadeners and I recall them having issues with fitting the new speakers so suspect that they either removed the waterproof membrane or at least removed it when fitting the speakers. Could
    This be the cause?

Is it also worthwhile removing and rotating the door seal to see if that's the issue?

Has the leak only started since they removed the doors ?

If the water is running down the front of the doors where the hinges are that isn't a problem in itself. The issue there is that the water is travelling across the door seal. I would suspect that the door isn't sealing around the front vertical edge of the frame for some reason.

Was the seal damaged ?

Is the striker plate applying enough pressure to the door frame and ensuring that the seal meets the full peripheral of the door correctly ?

Poke a single strip of paper between the door frame and the door seal and close the door. Pull on the piece of paper - is there resistance like the seal is gripping the paper or does the paper slide freely ? Do this at 30cm intervals around the door frame.

It's possible if they removed the door that it hasn't been replaced correctly and might need adjustment against the seal.

I would have thought though that they would only need to remove the door cards and not the doors themselves to install sound deadening material but I guess it's possible they removed the doors.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Tadpole

Thanks Rally & N5GTI6,

I removed the grill and speaker and from a quick inspection it would appear that the shield behind the speaker has been removed completely - I will retrofit a seal with plastic and see if that helps.

Leak only started after audio install and has I took it back to them but was issue was unable to be resolved.

Door may be out of alignment so will test seal with a strip of paper too. Even if they didn't remove the door I'm sure the sound deadening material adds weight and could affect the door seal.
    Last edited by Pugfan306HDI; 24th August 2017 at 12:15 PM.

Without going on a rant about installing audio into a 306... You can only fit very shallow 5-6" speakers in the doors. 5" jbls used to work or blaupunkt made some good 6" ... That was it. Otherwise you create problems.
    Also, there shouldn't be loads of sound deadening in the door, just a strip of the dynamat stuff to kill vibration.

Get the plastic sheet weather seal back in there asap.

An check the inner seal on the door frame, down by the front lower corner. It also holds the carpet in. Normally you'd lift that to run cabling under the carpet. If that's not reseated then water will ingress there.

I've had water ingress (a lot) into the driver's side, yup swimming pool is descriptive enough. I lifted the plastic door sill and then lifted as much carpet as I could so I had a reasonable gap. Used a sponge to soak up as much water as possible then propped a hair-dryer in there with the intake outside to the open air and left it in there for the day. I used some plastic containers to lift the sponge insulation so I could get the hot air under there as well and every hour or so moved things around so I was getting hot air into all areas. Did a good job the first day and did a bit more the second day to make sure all moisture was gone. Checked the floor pan to make sure there was no rust anywhere, vacuumed out any bits floating around and refitted everything.
    BIGRR likes this.

Tadpole

An update as I've been able to spend time on the problem. A two steps forward, one step back process.

Source of Leaks.

Ran water along the outside of the door, the mirror and over the sunroof. From this I initially saw water coming beneath the speaker and also along the A pillar. Removed speaker to find water shield had been completely removed. Unfortunately speakers were soldered on so I was unable to remove the doorcard to inspect whether the rest of the doors waterproof membrane had been removed following instal of sound deadening and a crossover for the split speakers installed.

Also noticed another a slight drip running down the front side of the door seal from the dash which, after removing the door seal , A pillar cover, roof handle and sun visor could see a slight drip coming from the roof. Could not locate the source though and it was a really slight drip did not investigate further. Will have my mechanic look into this next service or beforehand if it gets worse.

Potential fix of water leaks:

I fashioned a water seal from plastic sheeting and installed behind the speaker. Retested and it would appear that water is still coming though below the speaker but I think this is an improvement on before as its now flowing outside and not onto the carpet as per before. I will follow this up as a warranty issue on the speaker install.

Also reseated door seal paying particular attention ensuring carpet was not pinched on the join. Seal and carpet seem to be in better alignment compared to before.

Carpet Drying:

Wet/dry vacuumed the carped and as advised used the blower function of the vacuum and an upturned box to dry. This seems to be working a treat as the motor is slightly warming the air as well and the box ensures the airflow is concentrated along the carpet. Not sure my neighbours would be sharing my enthusiasm based on the sound of the vacuum for the last couple of hours.

So all in all not that much of a resolution. Will at least get the carpet and underlay dry and monitor the situation.

Tadpole

To conclude this thread I think I've finally fixed the issue - hopefully this will help someone in the future. I did this in two parts:

1. MacGyvering up a waterproof membrane behind the speaker. (Thanks a lot to the 'professional' audio installers for removing!)

2. I also noticed that the rubber seals on the roof rail and door were dirty/blocked/compressed and fairly weathered. So with the application of a lot of elbow grease, I cleaned out all the muck in the roof rails and noticed that when the windscreen had been replaced the seal along the a pillar was pinched. After cleaning all the seals and door rubbers I then applied Autoglym Plastic Trim and Rubber Conditioner.

Since then I haven't had any unwanted swimming pools. Fingers crossed it will stay that way . ;-)
    BIGRR likes this.

Thread Information