Differences, unique details 504 1969 model years, compared to 1970?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Alain
  • 1 Post By Wildebeest
  • 3 Post By Simon

Thread: Differences, unique details 504 1969 model years, compared to 1970?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Differences, unique details 504 1969 model years, compared to 1970?

Hi, I wonder if there is something different in 1969 504 compared to the 1970 model year? I know the steering wheel is different on the 1969 model.
    Are there any differences in the body?

Advertisement

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

The earliest 504s had no vents on the C pillar... I'm not sure when the vents were introduced but it's easy to see of course.

Another difference is that the front side windows are different on the earliest cars... later cars have a tiny triangle in the leading corners where the early ones do not.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

When all else fails get a copy of a 504 parts book - all will be revealed by reference to chassis numbers.

I don't think we got the 1969 504 in Australia although I did see one once. I think the C pillar vents came in around 1973. The 2 litre engine came in 1971 which also had the handbrake under the dash until 1973 or 1974. I'm unaware of whether Australian releases were the same year for year as the overseas ones.

Fellow Frogger!

Vent on C pillar came 1972 model year, and smaller front side windows also in 1972

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Douvrin504 View Post
    Hi, I wonder if there is something different in 1969 504 compared to the 1970 model year? I know the steering wheel is different on the 1969 model.
    Are there any differences in the body?
    I once had a 1969 Barossa Red French built 1.8L 504 sedan with bone coloured interior (late 80's) complete with a "Nouvelle-Caledonie" sticker on the rear.
    It was the most comfortable 504 I have had with superb bucket seats (the type with the lift up headrest that pushed down flush with seat back top) and the ramp adjustment.
    This car was a gem compared to later versions that I have owned. It felt much lighter in the steering and on the road with excellent fuel economy and was a joy to drive.
    One I should have kept !

Alain
    Wildebeest, Dano and Tom_95 like this.

My first 504.
    1970? 1800cc single Solex. Can't recall the handbrake position, pretty sure it was between the seats. No full console.Manual. "Barber shop" front seats with slide out headrest, would have to be Peugeot's best. Plastic steering wheel. Rubber insert between rear bumper overiders. No side "c" air vents. Trapezoidal headlights. Instrument background "art Deco ?".
    The difference in price between the 404 and 504 at the time was about 1000 quid.
    Dano likes this.

Both my 1970 and 1971 504s had the handbrake under the dash. As far as i can recall, the handbrake between the seats came with the centre console (in 1973 ?). 2 litre engines came in 1971.

Have to agree with all comments above, about how comfortable the front seats were. They were superior to the Australian alternative. For an 1800cc motor and a heavier body than the 404, it motored along quite nicely.
    Last edited by Dano; 14th August 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Apologies, but this reply won't help the original poster. However following is a brain dump completed a few years ago as a favour for someone looking for quick brief Australian Peugeot info, after I had supplied them with other Renault info. Then I never heard from them again - so it must all be wrong......

Anyway, I'm happy for this to be ripped to bits to come up with something that may be useful – given my Peugeot knowledge is limited. It comes from a few sources as well as observations over the years. But please, if it is wrong, say why, not “just 'coz” and not because you heard someone whose girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw what they think was a 504 with it on :-)

Oh, and it only relates to the Australian 504.

504 – Introduced May 1970. 1800cc motor, four speed manual. Locally assembled by Renault Australia with initial local content of 38%, to increase to the required 45% local content (with a maximum of 2500 sales) within 12 months.

404 discontinued in June 1970, following the introduction of the 504. Renault Australia apparently had plans to continue the 404 for another year. In discussions with the various Government departments, Renault assumed, or hoped, that the Government would see the 404 as a different model to the 504 under the Small Volume local assembly plan. To count as a different model, a car required an engine capacity of at least 25% difference to the other model, and a 75% difference of body panels. The 404 was 1,618cc, the 504 1,796cc.

Initially local content of the 504 was 32%, with an 18 month allowance to increase to 45% as a separate model under the plan. In the meantime they were allowed concessional duty rates on imported parts applying to the 45% plan. Following 504 production commencing, the Government finally decreed that the 404 and 504 were in the same 45% plan, the concession on the duty for the imported parts was revoked. Renault Australia was unable to immediately increase the Australian content, and was then required to pay full duty on the imported parts for the 504, increasing the initial retail price from $3,535 to $3,835.

June 1971 – 2 litre motor introduced, also available 504 Ti with Kugelfischer fuel injection (4 speed manual) and carburettor automatic (three speed ZF transmission).

Australian front seat frames introduced with separate head restraints replacing the French sourced front seats with recessed head restraints.
    February – Introduction of flow through ventilation (extractor vent on C-pillar).
    July – Four Lucas sealed beam headlights replace the previous trapezoid headlights.
    July – Introduction of locally sourced Borg Warner three speed automatic transmission.

Handbrake located between seats, new radio console incorporating twin speakers, new style head restraints, fixed buckle front seat belts, modified exhaust system, increased windscreen wiper area. Locally sourced Borg Warner Type 35 automatic transmission.

Relocated fuse box, metric km/h speedo, South Australian made Uniroyal 180 Steel Cat Radials fitted as standard equipment. June 1974 – tombstone front seats, standard heated rear screen, additional lining for the boot

Flush fitting door handles, revised door locks, revised soft feel steering wheel, new gear lever muff, inertia reel seat belts to front seats, revised instrument graphics, evaporative emission control equipment installed, standard push-button radio, increased French content – Paris Rhone distributor, Ducellier starter and SEV coil replace locally sourced Bosch.
    February 1975 – Introduction of the 504 Family Saloon and Station Wagon (fully imported).
    August 1975 – Introduction of the locally assembled Peugeot 504 LTI (Luxury Touring Injection), standard features; Kugelfischer fuel injected motor, Borg Warner Type 35 three speed automatic, features special metallic colours, special badges, tinted side glass (locally sourced), tinted band laminated front screen, sliding steel sunroof, stereo radio cassette player, carpeted luggage compartment, QI high beam lights.

Keyhole seats replace the solid tombstone seats. ADR27A emission compliance entails a change of engine, 8:1 compression XNA motor 2-litre motor fitted with twin single choke Solex carburettors. Peugeot factory authorised air conditioning kit available to replace the previous Renault Australia authorised Autoclima dealer fitted air conditioning kit.

Black slatted grille with two chrome horizontal bars replaces the previous chrome slatted grille, with the gold Lion replaced by a stylised outline. New range of paint colours, introduction of the 504 Special, with tinted glass, laminated windscreen, metallic paint, centre roof aerial, AM/FM stereo cassette and cloth faced trim.

504 - Carpet kick pads on the lower edge of the door trims.
    Familiale and Station Wagon continue as full imports.

504 – GL & GL Special (Manual & auto) Revised 2-litre XN1 engine with twin choke Solex carburettor and 8.8:1 compression ratio. The sedans feature revised French sourced front seats with separate head restraints replacing previous tombstone seats. Introduction of the 504 Diesel in both GL and GL Special forms.

Familiale continues as a full import.

The first 504 Diesel to be used as a taxi in Australia is delivered by Borgelts Motors in February 1979. A Satin Spruce 504 GL Special was purchased by owner-driver Phil Venning for Suburban Taxis. It is joined in December 1979 by a second 504 GL Special Diesel taxi by Phil’s brother Andrew.

504 – ‘504’ nose badge deleted, chrome Peugeot script on sedan bootlid replaced by plastic badge.
    Sedans locally assembled, Familiale continues as a full import

505 – GR sedan locally assembled, introduced October 1980. 2-litre carburettor motor.

504 – Sedans continue unchanged as locally assembled until closure of Renault Australia West Heidelberg factory in September 1981.
    Familiale continues as full import until the closure of Renault Australia. With sales and distribution taken over by Leyland Australia.

505 – Sedan continues as locally assembled by Renault Australia until the closure of their plant. Local assembly of the 505 sedan taken up by Leyland Australia at their Enfield NSW plant.

505 – GRD (Diesel) introduced March 1981
    FedGrapes, Demannu and Tom_95 like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Like probably many others, I've owned a number of 504s and at least one from almost every year from 1970 to 1980 and still have a few. Your summary is interesting and seems about right. If only we had all made notes as our 504s came and went!

You know, I reckon I must be the only person who doesn't like the early French seats. Could never get really comfortable and they lacked shoulder support (if you are tall). I reckon the best seats are the 1980 ones which are similar to 604 seats.

Fellow Frogger!

Loved the early French seats but know what you mean about shoulder support. We got around this by fitting a foam "pillow" below the headrest, filling in the offending hole.

My 504 was great, but after you've had a 505, it's hard to go back to 504 seats.

People have beeen known to turn them into office or deck chairs.

VIP Sponsor

I agree, the worst seats ever for me at least. They just seem too soft. Feel good at first then you start to fidget and move around, the original road test in 1968 said the same thing.
    I thought the best 504 seats were the local high back ones but with the corduroy covering, apart from not having the outdated plastic covering they were firmer than the earlier high back design.
    Best seats for me are the 405 S2 SRi, not the Mi16 and the 205 Si comes second.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Like probably many others, I've owned a number of 504s and at least one from almost every year from 1970 to 1980 and still have a few. Your summary is interesting and seems about right. If only we had all made notes as our 504s came and went!

You know, I reckon I must be the only person who doesn't like the early French seats. Could never get really comfortable and they lacked shoulder support (if you are tall). I reckon the best seats are the 1980 ones which are similar to 604 seats.

Fellow Frogger!

1.8 lt engine, harder revving but weaker. Column shift, under dash handbrake.

I agree with Alain here. Those early seats are v comfy.I have a 69 504 with a Wibasto roof that was original dark brown........the same colour as Nicky Lauder's in the the movie "Rush". I am unable to restore myself so am putting it up for sale. Please contact if interesred.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information