People say I'm Mad!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon11 People say I'm Mad!

Hello all... As you can see I am a Froggy Forum virgin. (It's taken a while to become a member!)

I am a born and bred Melbourne boy, but been living in London for 4 years after travelling. It was here that my love for the 205 GTi came about.

The missus and I thought after a year of living here, that transport was needed, so I sourced out a lovely 1988 205 in need of some TLC. Since I have owned it I have spent many hours down the local breakers, replacing bits and pieces to bring here back to her former glory.

My time in London is coming to an end, by my love affair with the car will not! She is coming home with me! At first I started believing that maybe I AM mad... maybe these Pom's are right, go out and buy something decent to take home to warrant the 1100 ($2700) shipping charges, not to mention the approx $1500 for customs clearance and import taxes. Until I descovered the Froggy Forum and started reading the affairs between man and Peugeot right there in Australia. Thanks to you all... I now know I am sane, and looking forward to possibly meeting up when the car is home, and registered for the Aussie roads.

Thanks also to the forum, there are a number of issue which I will be trying to sort out before export, like the squeaky rear-end (trailing-arm bearings,) new rad and thermostat, and possibly a twin thermo fan conversion to cope with the Aussie summers. If there are any other small jobs or parts which cost a lot to fix in Australia, I would love to hear any suggestions you may have. Who knows... considering I can fill the back of the car when exporting, I may be able to throw in some hard to find parts for some members!

Anyhow, this is my introduction to the forum, and look forward to talk to fellow Pug lovers.

Advertisement
    MayheM

If you're a smart pommie-ensconsed Thicktorian, why don't you try to make some money out of us?

You know these 'breakers' well enough, I'm quite sure... suss out things that we need here and bring some with you.

Post on the parts for sale and listed forum asking people what they'd like sought out, get a load of stuff and pile it into the car before it gets onto the ship then come out here and make a motza on it.

Start with 604 5-speed boxes (and even just bellhousings), flywheels and clutches. Maybe Mi16 heads. Cast the net, see what you can do...

Can you fit a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo in the boot for me - Pleeeeease...?
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Bring me the McLaren F1 that's at BMW on Queens Rd in London!

Thanks for the well thought replies and introductions!

I don't want to make money out of anyone... and I don't want to make money out of the car either.

Plus there is this amazing thing that the Australian Government have in place, maybe you have heared of it.... Customs Tax & Import Duties.

Lets be realistic people.
    MayheM

Ok i'll change the order to a 205 T16 then shall I.. the McLaren was a bit too much 2 ask....

HI welcome to the forum.

You don't need to make money out of us, just bring parts that 205 owners here really need. Interior bits, rear reflective panels these sorts of things go for high prices here. If you can bring a doggy bag of 205gti bits you'll have some money to pay off that customs clearance.

You won't be ripping us off, you'll be doing us a favour. Plus chuck one leather interior in the boot for me.

Look forward to meeting you once you come back home. Where abouts in melbourne do you come from??

Welcome to the Forum, ahhh how we all love the 205gti's My mum owned one for about 3 years back in the 80's but she sold it before I ever had a chance to drive it apart from up and down the drive as a kid and changing gears when she nods her head

Are there many 106's or 106GTi's cruising around London? I saw 1000's of 206's last time I was there, but it was only a brief 24hour visit for me so I didn't get the chance to go hunting.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Get yourself a 'H' van or something, you could park the 205 in the back, AND fill it with heaps of parts for us from the wreckers over there

No ?? OK, find yourself a C35, park a 2cv in the back (after all there's already stacks of rust free 205's out here) and fill it with all the hard to find parts

You could bring back something like:

R5 GT turbos
    CX 2500 GTi Turbos
    XM 24valve V6's
    R21 turbos
    2cv's

Can't think offhand of a Poogoe worth the effort of importing (when we get most of the models locally) Anyone ??

We have stacks of good rust free 205's out here... Go on... Bring in something that you can sell easily in the future

However if you like the 205 you have and intend to keep it for pretty much ever, who cares what other people think Bring it back & live happily ever after

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If you bring any of those shitters that Shane mentioned then we'll cancel you both from the forum!

Ok Luca,

what poogoe can you think of that's worth importing (that we don't already have ). Remember it's a french car forum, don't start on fiats, saabs, ovlovs or anything else

OK, your right I missed:

R25 V6
    R25 V6 turbo
    XM 2.2 turbo diesel
    BX 4x4 GTi

I'm still trying to think of a poogoe worth importing ... anyone ... ???

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Did i mention the 205 T16 in my previous thread? Yeaaaas i diiiiid!

Your honour.....I rest my case.

He cant bring anything else back as a private import because he wont have owned it for 12 months. But, he can bring in 15 year old cars if he hurrys up before the rules change. Bring in something that will make money (pay for the Pugs import costs ) like an Alpine or something of any make that people want here.

And whatever you bring back, fill it up with bits to sell or keep the pug going for years to come.
    And you are not mad Mayhem - there is lot to be said for sentimental value - had I known the tricks, I would have brought home my R21 GTS Wagon from the UK - worth squat there and here, but it had a lot of good memories attached and was a great travelling car.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Did i mention the 205 T16 in my previous thread? Yeaaaas i diiiiid!

Your honour.....I rest my case.
    Yeah right... Were talking everyday available usable cars. How many 205 T16's were there made, 50??....

Your talking race breed rally cars. If you have the $$$ to purchase one of them, your not going to worry about the $$$ saved by bringing in one as a personal import.

Hey, what about a group 'B' BX racer if were going to talk unusable exotics It's probably faster the the 205 T16 anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The court has decided Shane that you are clinically ill and need to see a doctor about the cars you like.....

Awards Luca with full cusdody of the T16.

Yeaayyy (like Fonzie)

The court has decided Shane that you are clinically ill and need to see a doctor about the cars you like.....

Awards Luca with full cusdody of the T16.

Yeaayyy (like Fonzie)

Luca,

your a sad case mate I recommend 1 Acadiane van, a 56 DS19 and some bed rest as a cure. (hang on getcha bloody hands off, if there is a '56 DS19 for sale anywhere IT'S MINE !!! ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Yeah right... Were talking everyday available usable cars. How many 205 T16's were there made, 50??....

Your talking race breed rally cars. If you have the $$$ to purchase one of them, your not going to worry about the $$$ saved by bringing in one as a personal import.

Hey, what about a group 'B' BX racer if were going to talk unusable exotics It's probably faster the the 205 T16 anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Shane,

250 205 T16 where made for road use and then all the rally versions. Most however are locked up in private collections over europe. And the race version of the T16 0-100kms in 3.2 secs!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    Shane,

250 205 T16 where made for road use and then all the rally versions. Most however are locked up in private collections over europe. And the race version of the T16 0-100kms in 3.2 secs!

Nick
    Yep, there the ones. The Group 'B' cars. I think you'll find most of them are within a fraction of a second as quick as the T16 (even the BX). Only problem They are all so suicidally fast, they completlly outlawed the class

I think they'd need to come with there own coffin if you were to attempt to drive one in competition.

Now back to **normal/everyday** cars. Can anyone think of a poogoe worth bringing in

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Has this thread been marked as the 205 sticky so no AF member asks any more FAQ's about the 205 coz it's gonna be a good read in 18 months....

Anyway Shane i've got hope that u can be converted mate... it's never too late.....

Anyway Shane i've got hope that u can be converted mate... it's never too late.....
    What do you mean ... I already own What do you think the BX and Xantia are ... There just 405 and 406's with vastly superior suspension under 'em and much more usable hatchback bodies . As for all the non hydraulic cit's well .... ==

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

= Pininfarina

& = may as well have been designed in the old USSR.

MayheM... what I meant was that there are a stack of people here who can't source some bits for their Pugs etc... and it's the bits for those cars that need to come in.

I don't mean to try and cheat the Customs people... declare them... they won't cost two bob over there, but they are like gold here and people will appreciate your effort and help you out with your freight bill...

The crazy stuff... forget that.

As I have owned it for 2 and half years, I could have imported it using either method. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to import a vehicle over 15 years old. Anything newer and you get hit with high taxes, and come to registration time, it's needs to be fitted with an import identification plate.

I will keep an eye out on the parts wanted page. As purr-geot said, the majority of parts will be boxes of bits, rather than gearboxes or engine heads! BTW purr-geot, the reflective rear panel has not been made over here for years. It happens that I have one on my car, although some nutter backed into it and cracked it. I'll definetly be keeping an eye out for one (or two) on my regular visits to the breakers. (sorry Ray Bell 'Dismantlers')
    (I'm from Cheltenham BTW)
    MayheM

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

a pair of 605 exhaust manifolds from a 12 valve V6 605
    a couple of RHD V6 bell housings or volvo ones
    low compression V6 carb inlet manifolds
    38 DGAS webers

all these things are very useful
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Why not get some goodies from Demon Tweeks or the like. Discs, 57i kits and all the mundane service things you will use over the next few years. Pads, filters, etc. If not for others, for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information