Help needed with 1988 Peugeot 505 GTI mystery . . . - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help needed with 1988 Peugeot 505 GTI mystery . . .

Yes, the waters definitely don't need any more muddying so I'll leave the fuel consumption thing alone for now.

Advertisement

The ECU clicking noise is definitely still there; as I mentioned, it's done that ever since I got the car. It's in occasional bursts which can sometimes last for quite a few seconds. Any straightforward tests I can do on the ignition switch or anything else that could be causing it?

As soon as I have the next episode, I'll post the results of the tachometer test.

Fellow Frogger!

My ECU is above the glovebox -- passenger side. I think the S2 GTI kept it on that side. Is that where the clicking's coming from?

If it's on the driver's side, it'll be a relay of some sort, and the tachymetric relay would be the most important to check. It definitely moved between the S1 and S2. Mine's under the bonnet, yours is somewhere above your knees.

This relay controls power to the fuel pump and, for safety (in case a fuel line ruptures in an accident, say), cuts the power whenever the engine stops. It watches two wires -- the starter motor and the coil -ve -- if either is active it powers the pump. The relay itself is mechanical and subject to wearing out. Since you have a spare car, you might try substituting its tachymetric relay and see if that helps matters. It's also possible that the wires aren't carrying the signal to it very well -- e.g. bad grounding. There's a whole world of delights in auto-electrics.

Here's a photo of the tach relay in my car. Shows you where it might be in your spare, and also gives an idea what it looks like.
    Help needed with 1988 Peugeot 505 GTI mystery . . .-tachy.jpg
    As for the ignition switch, I expect you've already done the only test I have in mind. In the normal running position, see if any slight movement of the key in any direction (axial, radial, be creative...) brings on the relay clicks.

Have fun,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robs View Post
    Is that where the clicking's coming from?
    It was.

I had a chat today with someone who recommended I check the ignition coil connections as the next step after checking all the various earths (which I'd already done thanks to everyone here). The four on top seemed okay but I pulled them off, gave the blades a wipe and put them back on. The braided copper earth wire that runs to the bottom of the air chamber (I think that's the right term) seemed to be brushing against a bracket that was part of the ignition coil area so I moved it slightly and wrapped some insulation tape around part of it.

Having done that, I drove to town and back. Maybe it's a fluke but there wasn't a single click from the ECU area during the whole trip, something which hasn't ever happened before. Nor was there another incident, which may of course be just coincidence.

Anyway, FWIW, I thought I should pass it on. We shall see if this apparent good fortune holds!

Fellow Frogger!

That's interesting. The ECU itself (mine at least -- I did open it up) has nothing that'll make a noise. And I can't think of anything else in that area in my 505 that would make clicking noises. Perhaps someone who's delved into the S2 GTI can suggest a suspect on the LHS dash.

Is it possible the click is actually on the other side of the firewall? I have imagined it as the click of a relay, but the spark jumping from a high tension lead has a fair snap to it. If the coil lead was arcing to that earth strap (to the plenum chamber BTW), the sound might well carry into the cabin as (probably rapid and regular) clicks. Your work at the strap may have made the spark less likely to jump to it. Probably worth pulling out the coil high tension wire (coil to dizzy cap) and seeing if there are signs of arcing and that the terminals are still well attached. If you have a multimeter, you could check that its resistance is something around 10k Ohms. When you refit it, try to keep it well away from paths to ground.

Certainly if your coil has found another path to ground you'll lose power. Once again though, the "flooring it sorts it out" behaviour doesn't fit. But who knows -- maybe your accelerator cable also rubs on that earth strap and moves it out of the way when you floor it. Stranger things have happened.

Have fun,

Rob.

Yes, there's much that remains puzzling about the whole sequence. Still, it felt really good during the drive yesterday (some of that may be psychosomatic of course!).

On your question, I guess it is possible that the clicking was coming from the other side of the firewall. I would have sworn otherwise but that might also be because I'd convinced myself it was coming from the ECU.

Anyway, if anything "new and interesting" develops, I'll do an update.

Thanks again for all of your help.

robs & everyone,

Sorry guys . . . I should have provided an update long ago.

As mentioned on 16 August @ 5:57 PM I'd gotten some help in trying to sort all of this out and the first suggestion (checking the ignition coil connections) worked a treat.That someone was Baz Broom, who I believe has occasionally contributed to AussieFrogs (he got in touch via a PM).

He was kind enough to help me sort through quite a few things, including getting to the bottom of some battery charging/alternator problems that popped up soon after. Turned out there must have been previous alternator problems because at some point an Ingram voltage regulator had been rigged up externally (beside the battery) and connected to the Motorola regulator on the alternator. At the same time, there had been a rather flimsy connection from the alternator to the battery warning light (if I get some of these terms wrong, by the way, that's down to me!). It was almost certainly the final failure of this connection which turned this slightly weird alternator arrangement from "barely working" to "not working at all".

Baz suggested that while we could probably rig up something that would keep the car going, it made much more sense to get a new alternator and pointed me to Lewis Partridge at Peugeot Spares. As you all probably know, he was terrific and, having got the new alternator and a few other bits and pieces, I installed it and crossed my fingers that the battery warning light would go on when I turned the key! It did and, as Baz said it would, the car has been quite a different beast ever since. Seems a quality alternator makes a whole lot of things work better.

Anyway, so far so good. No more hesitations or other problems, touch wood. The car feels lighter and generally more responsive. Long may it last . . .

Thanks again to everyone who helped, particularly robs who went well above and beyond. With a bit of luck I won't have to come back with more news on this particular topic.
    Shobbz likes this.

Gosh I love a happy ending !

Thanks for the followup.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information