New car snapshot: Peugeot 307CC
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default New car snapshot: Peugeot 307CC

    From drive.com.au

    Top down or up, Peugeot's 307CC proves it's two cars in one ... and this year's hands-down darling of the cafe latte set.
    http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-...XJ2D7WITD.html

    - XTC206 -

    Advertisement
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    It's like a mullet.
    OK in the front. Absurd at the back.

  3. #3
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    It's like a mullet. OK in the front. Absurd at the back.
    It'd be a nice cruisin' car ... but the "darling of the cafe latte set" comment was the crack-up.

    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    It'd be a nice cruisin' car ... but the "darling of the cafe latte set" comment was the crack-up.

    - XTC206 -
    What's absurd is the price: $50k.

    Let's hope they don't sell too many of them else you won't see the 407. Why would you sell 407s when you can sell this thing for the same money (& better profit margins) to people who clearly don't care about the price?

    It's a similar thing with the 206CC; it's roughly the same $ as a 406 but much better profit margins for the dealers. Try buying a 406 & you will see what I mean; dealers are geared to selling these handbag cars.

    Barry.

  5. #5
    Sense Pug307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    What's absurd is the price: $50k.

    Let's hope they don't sell too many of them else you won't see the 407. Why would you sell 407s when you can sell this thing for the same money (& better profit margins) to people who clearly don't care about the price?
    VFACTS figures have 82 for last month (10% segment share), more than the 206CC. Dealer registrations would affect this though.

    Just to compare, the 406 sold 16 units last month (0.4% segment share). It's on its last legs.

    Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

  6. #6
    Member R10 Rich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Boronia
    Posts
    49

    Default Nah it Rocks

    I recon the 307CC is an Awesome car. Arnt Merc the only other car maketh than make hardtop convertables? That says a bit in itself.
    I'd love to get one, unfortunatley I have the small issue of being a povo uni bum in the way. Oh well.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts TroyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R10 Rich
    I recon the 307CC is an Awesome car. Arnt Merc the only other car maketh than make hardtop convertables?
    Isn't the Daihatsu Copen a hardtop convertable?

    I think the 307CC is a nice looking car, easily the nicest looking of the 307 range. The only things I would balk at are the price and the (lack of) performance.

    Troy.

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    I don't reckon the 307CC is expensive. And the dealer margin Barry for Pugs is one of the smallest on the market. Dealers are not 'geared towards selling 406's', they have to give them away, cos no-one wants the f*cke*s.
    I think the EPA should be onto the 307CC, and that there should be some sort of 'environmental FINE 'for it . Visual pollution.

  9. #9
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Isn't the Daihatsu Copen a hardtop convertable?
    Yep ,.. if you like a 660cc 50kw engine - is Turbo though (8500rpm redline) and lugging 1040kgs (the 206GTi is 1050kgs, 2ltr, 102Kw - you do the maths)
    [edit] it can't be 1040kgs ... it's more like 830kgs - still]

    That or the Lexus SC430 - got a spare $160,000

    Megane is on the way too.

    - XTC206 -
    Last edited by XTC206; 29th April 2004 at 09:07 PM.
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    I don't reckon the 307CC is expensive.
    Compared to it's obvious competition it probably isn't. I'm sure the price was arrived at by it's market position, above the Japs/Koreans, below the Germans. Nevertheless it is still $18-20k above the cooking models, or a hefty 50% price premium. It's gotta be better for the bottom line to be selling these compared to selling 406/407s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    And the dealer margin Barry for Pugs is one of the smallest on the market.
    I can believe the dealers don't necessarily pocket all the profits; but someone has to be. And what dealer doesn't dream of an endless stream of latte sippers who don't care about the price they pay? (Bit like Volvos in the 80s perhaps?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Dealers are not 'geared towards selling 406's', they have to give them away, cos no-one wants the f*cke*s.
    I think the EPA should be onto the 307CC, and that there should be some sort of 'environmental FINE 'for it . Visual pollution.
    I'm only going on my personal experience some 2 years ago trying to get a test drive of a 406. It was pretty scary to see all those yuppie types crawling over the 206CC like it was a Ferrari, and even scarier that it was hard to pick the salespeople from the customers. I couldn't find *anyone* who knew enough about 406s to convince me to buy one. In the end I was told that if I wanted to drive one then buy it - that's the sales pitch this particular salesperson used to sell 2 206CCs that week. Didn't work on me.

    I may have totally the wrong impression, but all the dealerships I visited were putting all their effort into everything but 406s, and I remain convinced the dealers are making more margin selling a 206CC compared to a 406 HDi for around the same drive away price.

    And a final quick quiz - who would buy a 307CC when a 406SV is around the same money?

    Barry.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    I may have totally the wrong impression, but all the dealerships I visited were putting all their effort into everything but 406s, and I remain convinced the dealers are making more margin selling a 206CC compared to a 406 HDi for around the same drive away price.


    Barry.[/QUOTE]

    They (the dealers) put the effort into the other cars cos no-one wants the 406. When someone reveals themselves as a 406 buyer, the car will be given away cos the dealers are so desperate to get rid of their old stock.
    So why should a salesman enthuse if he aint gonna make money selling a car no-one wants to pay any money for.
    As of a year ago Barry...the dealer margin on 206 CC 2.0 was $323 less than on a 406 HDI. Plus Tax.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Anyway guys b/c this thread is about the 307CC let talk about the piece of shit....

    The thing doesn't look good.
    The thing would be under powered.
    The interior is trying too hard.

    It probably would have been a good car if they fixed all this b4 they relesed it.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    I mean yuk.
    Like wandering into a public toilet and finding George Michael in there.
    Just wanna walk the other way.
    Mercedes showed this kind of hard top convertible doesn't have to be ugly.
    Although Toyo/Lexus haven't helped the argument much with that monstrous blob they make.

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts TroyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Although Toyo/Lexus haven't helped the argument much with that monstrous blob they make.
    You mean this thing Warwick? Can you say that the 307CC looks worse than that? It's an ugly way to spend $160k.

    Troy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New car snapshot: Peugeot 307CC-sc430.jpg  

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! Jez 405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    542

    Default

    I reckon the 307CC is one of the few convertibles that look better with the top up than down. Others being the 996 Cabriolet (not a compliment...) and the MGF.

    They could have been a little less heavy handed with the rear styling though. If only it had a fraction of the 306 Cabriolet's elegance.

    ed: TroyO - no posting of offensive pictures, please....
    Last edited by Jez 405; 2nd May 2004 at 01:59 AM.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Compared to it's obvious competition it probably isn't. I'm sure the price was arrived at by it's market position, above the Japs/Koreans, below the Germans. Nevertheless it is still $18-20k above the cooking models, or a hefty 50% price premium. It's gotta be better for the bottom line to be selling these compared to selling 406/407s.



    I can believe the dealers don't necessarily pocket all the profits; but someone has to be. And what dealer doesn't dream of an endless stream of latte sippers who don't care about the price they pay? (Bit like Volvos in the 80s perhaps?)



    I'm only going on my personal experience some 2 years ago trying to get a test drive of a 406. It was pretty scary to see all those yuppie types crawling over the 206CC like it was a Ferrari, and even scarier that it was hard to pick the salespeople from the customers. I couldn't find *anyone* who knew enough about 406s to convince me to buy one. In the end I was told that if I wanted to drive one then buy it - that's the sales pitch this particular salesperson used to sell 2 206CCs that week. Didn't work on me.

    I may have totally the wrong impression, but all the dealerships I visited were putting all their effort into everything but 406s, and I remain convinced the dealers are making more margin selling a 206CC compared to a 406 HDi for around the same drive away price.

    And a final quick quiz - who would buy a 307CC when a 406SV is around the same money?

    Barry.
    I'd have to disagree. I think the 307CC is a fare price for it's additional architecture over a cooking model. There aren't many panels shared with the standard model rearwards of the bonnet, and I'll bet that the underfloor structure is substantially different as well.

    I think most of the buyers see the value in the 307CC - compare it to a creaky old SAAB of OVLOV chop top and you'll quickly see the value. How about an ALFA - equally as creeky as the two above.

    You have to understand that the newer models always get more attention in the dealers and from buyers - it's only natural, and frankly all 406 models are great bedtime reading - they quickly put me to sleep. Who'd buy a 406SV? Check the vfacts figures - not many.....now look at the figures for the various CC's - vastly greater numbers. Bring on the 407 - it might have contentious styling, but at least it stands out. The 406 was just bland - might as well buy a Camry...

    Speaking of ugly - what about the rump on the previous model Megane chop top.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts Warwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    TroyO you misunderstand. The Lexus is as ugly as the proverbial hatful of arseholes.
    The 307 is like a pocketful to me.

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts TroyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    TroyO you misunderstand. The Lexus is as ugly as the proverbial hatful of arseholes.
    The 307 is like a pocketful to me.
    Ahhh Ok, I just wanted to be clear on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    ed: TroyO - no posting of offensive pictures, please....
    Sorry about that, I just had to give an example of how ugly the Lexus was, and showing a picture was only way to demonstrate that.

    Troy.

  19. #19
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Anyway guys b/c this thread is about the 307CC let talk about the piece of shit....
    The thing doesn't look good.
    The thing would be under powered.
    The interior is trying too hard.
    It probably would have been a good car if they fixed all this b4 they relesed it.
    Hang-on didn't one of the AF's take one for a spin and against a 206GTi (0-100 8sec) the 307CC (0-100 + 200kgs more) was heaps quicker handled better and was the better car.

    No ... on second thoughts I think "cafe latte set" is the perfect metaphor.

    - XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    They (the dealers) put the effort into the other cars cos no-one wants the 406. When someone reveals themselves as a 406 buyer, the car will be given away cos the dealers are so desperate to get rid of their old stock. So why should a salesman enthuse if he aint gonna make money selling a car no-one wants to pay any money for.
    As of a year ago Barry...the dealer margin on 206 CC 2.0 was $323 less than on a 406 HDI. Plus Tax.
    Yep, but the 206CC buyer isn't going to argue about the price, so the effective margin will be higher than for a 406. I think we agree here on the outcome, if not the causes.

    Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    Who'd buy a 406SV? Check the vfacts figures - not many.....now look at the figures for the various CC's - vastly greater numbers. Bring on the 407 - it might have contentious styling, but at least it stands out. The 406 was just bland - might as well buy a Camry...
    Also true, but I'd argue that for the money a 406SV is much more car. It doesn't scream 'look at me' like any CC does, and for people who don't care what they spend that is a serious problem. On the other hand though the 406 coupe is held in high regard, same car yes? I don't blame the dealers for picking up this trend and running with it, after all they have bills to pay as well. But in the long run you won't get cars like the 406 being offered, and I think that is a shame. Peugeot (& french in general) made some of the best medium sized cars through the 60s-70s-80s. The trend for Peugeot in particular, to my eyes, is disturbing. Where is the equivalent today to say the 504?

    I guess we can look forward to Volvo making a CC 4WD, catering for the 'look at me' brigade who like the vertical supremacy & want to feel safe. And I'm sure I'll be told what great value that one will be too.

    Barry.

  21. #21
    Fellow Frogger! Jez 405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Also true, but I'd argue that for the money a 406SV is much more car. It doesn't scream 'look at me' like any CC does, and for people who don't care what they spend that is a serious problem. On the other hand though the 406 coupe is held in high regard, same car yes? I don't blame the dealers for picking up this trend and running with it, after all they have bills to pay as well. But in the long run you won't get cars like the 406 being offered, and I think that is a shame. Peugeot (& french in general) made some of the best medium sized cars through the 60s-70s-80s. The trend for Peugeot in particular, to my eyes, is disturbing. Where is the equivalent today to say the 504?
    I agree. I'd have a 406 SV over a CC any day, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to do so.
    I'm hoping more people will buy 406's so that when their residual values coincide with my budget, I'd have lots of Diablo Red 406 SV manuals to choose from.

    Caffe-latte set.... interesting that the one person I know who owns a CC (206) runs a chain of cafes around Melbourne's universities.... but I'd hate to generalise...
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •