I've been in a crash :(
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default I've been in a crash :(

Someone pulled out of a 'give-way' into my path today and all I could do was skid to a halt into his front quarter pannel.

Advertisement

This is the damage done to my 505. His new commodore ute wasn't nearly as bad.

How much will this cost his insurance company do you think? Naturally I'm getting quotes tomorrow.

Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

That sucks!

Hope it gets fixed quickly with no probs.

Dayem the 505 is still a good looking car.

nJm

Yes, the 505 is still a beautiful car. I can't wait to see the the reaction of the accident repair places when I rock up with a 21 year old Peugeot. They seemed to think finding a door for a Toyota Cressida was hard, just wait til they have to get a headlight for a pug!

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of decent ones sitting in wreck's yards.

They better replace the headlight protector as well. I haven't seen that many of them around.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nick,

I'm sure they will be fine.......505 headlights are as easy as pie to get...as for the headlight protectors I dont think you can get them new anymore. I've got a set here somewhere....bloody awful things I think they get film on the inside of them, besides they make the lights like birthday candles. You should see one getting broken as a blessing to chuck the other one !

Anyhow good luck with it all....seems to be very minimal damage to the guard and should be fixed with ease!

Cheers
    Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

The headlight unit in 505's are really expensive if you get orig pug parts, there are cheaper alternatives but they do not come with the chrome trim around the headlight so there will be a gap when you fit the unit. If the plastic chrome trim is not broken you may be able to reusue it.
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Nick,

I'm sure they will be fine.......505 headlights are as easy as pie to get...as for the headlight protectors I dont think you can get them new anymore. I've got a set here somewhere....bloody awful things I think they get film on the inside of them, besides they make the lights like birthday candles. You should see one getting broken as a blessing to chuck the other one !

Anyhow good luck with it all....seems to be very minimal damage to the guard and should be fixed with ease!

Cheers
    Ben
    just use normal car polish on them and they come back up to near new and clear
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm

I got my first quote. $1070.30.

The parts they list as requiring are:
    HEADLAMP COVERS $65.00
    D/S TAPE & CLIPS & URATHANE $10.00

They don't mention actually replacing the headlight. I think they are going to find a new glass cover and use the rest of the existing headlight.

Oh and I went back to the intersection where it happened. The guy went through a STOP sign! Bloody idiot.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Nick bro, hope ya ok man.
    Are youg going to be charged an excess from your insurer, if so, stuff insurance man, your better off doing it yourself. Go to Graham Birrel tell what you'll need & he'll fix you up no worries with cheap rates. Dad's go heaps of headlights for 505's of him.

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Nick bro, hope ya ok man.
    Are youg going to be charged an excess from your insurer, if so, stuff insurance man, your better off doing it yourself. Go to Graham Birrel tell what you'll need & he'll fix you up no worries with cheap rates. Dad's go heaps of headlights for 505's of him.
    Fortunately it was the other guy's fault.

See

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    How much will this cost his insurance company do you think? Naturally I'm getting quotes tomorrow.
    Hopefully it's fixed up soon.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

Just one more grumble. I can't open the bonnet.

I hope I do get it all sorted very soon. I'm still waiting on another quote.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Yeah hopfully it's on the road in no time! dings in that area of a car are always the most expensive

I once had a girl in a Peugeot 206XT 5 door run into the back of me, she didn't hit very hard, like it would have been less then 5km/h and at the time I had my foot off the brake and the clutch in as I was just taking off... so neither of us had any visable damage, as much as I looked and looked, I couldn't see anything.

When she hit, I pulled over, as did she. We got out and she was like "Oh my god! I am so so sorry!! I just looked down for a second and the traffic stopped! sorry sorry" I am like "hehe thats ok, I don't think there is any damage, nice little 206 btw " she was like "Oh yeah umm ahh yeah I love my car, I used to have a 306" We both inspected the rear of my car and couldn't even find a slight scratch on the bumper, so I gave her my last AussieFrogs sticker which I believe she put on her car, but I don't think she frequents this forum. lol
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Damn shame! Ted at Europarts has some brand spankin' new 505 panels hanging above his counter if required. The panel beaters will no doubt bog it up though. Pity. Not a nice spot for a bit of bog. My condolences. Hope you're back on the road very soon.

UFO

Well the headlight protector failed anyway so you wouldn't want to replace it

Seriously though, I bought some of that 3M stick on HL protector film 12 months ago for my XM. I followed the instructions (shock horror) and got a very good result.

So far no chips or cracks and the stuff also doesn't catch leaves etc behind it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yeah I have used that stuff too, Used it on my dads car that he and I rally a bit. It's great stuff.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Sorry to hear you've been in a crash nJm.

Make sure you get a good repairer though. I remember when we had our first accident in the 505, it was towed to a repairer who didn't have a clue about peugeots.

He replaced the headlight with a generic that was held in place with some springs. The bonnet wasn't put back correctly and therefore didn't close fully. I was fuming. The insurance company were good though, they insisted on peugeot parts and all that, just wish we had known of a better repairer.

Good luck with your repairs and I hope you get your car back in all its glory
    1985 505 SR......Even after all the hell it gave.....I still love it....how can you not????

Hey Nick, sorry to hear about the crash. That's another 505 with smashed panels... Glad to hear it wasn't too serious though. I'll be interested to hear about your experience with your panelbeaters, I'm planning to get my panels fixed up very soon as well.

I hope it all works out well

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

nJm

Got my car back tonight! I couldn't really see how good the paint job was in the dark, but it certainly feels nice and smooth

They put in a brand new 505 headlight which they got from European Auto Imports. It is different to my old one - the chrome 'frame' is flat and shiney. The original headlights on my car had textured chrome frames, so if you look closely you can see it has a different headlight on one side. Also, the new one is much whiter than the old one (both have the same globes in them) so I guess the reflector in the remaining old light has discoloured.

The car is driving well, although when I picked up the car the cooling fan was coupled to engine revs, and it took a good 20 minute drive before it turned off.

They have ordered headlight protectors, however they have to be shipped out from Europe, and it might take up to 8 weeks.

I'll take a photo on the weekend in sunlight so you can see what the job was like. One thing that does concern me is it looks like they just painted over the bonnet without preparing it - it still has the same dimples from stone chips that became rusty. Oh well, at least it is all painted now.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Sorry to hear about your accident Hope you are ok! In answer to your question.

Having been involved with parts, It looks like headlight $200 fender $300 bar cover $350 and a bar re enforcement $250 and bonnet to be straightened and any clips or bolts! call it 1200 bucks w/o labor. How much was your car valued at?

I think if it is more than 70% of the cars value they right it off!

His insurance excess could be anything in value I know with some company vehicle insurance you could pay up to $2000 excess
    Last edited by AlsPug504; 3rd June 2004 at 10:19 PM.

nJm

The bodywork cost $1071 I believe. Not sure about the headlight.

I had a look at Redbook and it values my car at $2100. I'm hoping if I hold onto it long enough and look after it it might go up in value (as has happened with 504s in recent times).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Default crashes suck!

yup,
    bloody commodoore drivers!

1000+ Posts

Glad to hear you got it back Nick.
    So, when are you driving it to Sydney? Think of how much fuel you'll save (less drag) with that nice shiny bodywork!

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I'm hoping if I hold onto it long enough and look after it it might go up in value (as has happened with 504s in recent times).
    Well, I'm hoping the same with our 504. It certainly doesn't owe us anything, but those of you who've seen it will understand why - it's a very very nice example of a 504

Derek

nJm

I had a quick look at the car today before I drove to work. The paint work on the bonnet is pretty crap. It has lots of imperfections. It is obvious they have just sprayed over the old paint, without filling all the (large) stone chips. Also, all the cracks in the clearcoat are still visable in the new paint. I think I should take it back and get them to do a good job.

Still, it looks better than when I bought the car
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Default Bloody Commodore Drivers?

undefined
    Don't be too hard on Commodore drivers, mi205, I've got a very good VT Acclaim AND a very good 505 STi. They each have their good points (The Peugeot's more fun though, and that's important!)

Thread Information