Knocking sound 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default Knocking sound 405

Hi everyone I hope everyone is well and happy out there in Peugeot land.
    My 405srtd has developed a Knocking sound in the front of the car. I guess it maybe a shockabsorber rubber? Or it could be something else. What is the best way to check my shockabsorbers? Or look for other reasons. LuLu.

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    My 405srtd has developed a Knocking sound in the front of the car. I guess it maybe a shockabsorber rubber? Or it could be something else. What is the best way to check my shockabsorbers? Or look for other reasons. LuLu.

go along to a suspension place and get them to do a check on it

they normally charge around $25-30 for it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Default knock knock

Who's there?

Probably one of the upper McPherson strut mounts.

Check all ball joints and suspension bolts too though.

If it is the upper shock mount and you can live with the noise, do so, as I have for the past 150,000 km May as well wait until the shocks need changing too, and perhaps a driveshaft or two. Economies of scale you know.

I think it's more likely swar bar bushes. But you won't know 'til you stick your head under.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Thanks

Econimies of scale,yes one of the reasons I bought a srtd is that they are potentially an economical car to run considering the size and the comfort creatures, possibly the best Peugeot ever, I asume, with my limited knowledge.
    My car has 220000ks most of which was done in western NSW I believe. Engine is running very sweet I have replaced swaybar bushes new tyres and wheel alignment in the past month now this knock has happened.I will check ball joints and suspension bolts not sur how to go about it.

Just wondered how the heater matrix business worked out?

JohnW

LuLu, My humble experience with cars that have recently had work done on them and begin to knock, bang, rattle is that you mechanic has left something LOOOOSE, cheers josephk
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Just wondered how the heater matrix business worked out?

JohnW
    As far as I can see all the heater pies ar connected, so it could be the heater matrix. I plan to take the car to a local auto elecritian who has done some A/c work for me and get his advice as how he would go about checking the system. Are heater matrix fixable or is it best to replace it? cheers lu lu

As far as I can see all the heater pies ar connected, so it could be the heater matrix. I plan to take the car to a local auto elecritian who has done some A/c work for me and get his advice as how he would go about checking the system. Are heater matrix fixable or is it best to replace it? cheers lu lu
    LuLu,

If you read carefully what we've written for you before, you'll see that if the pipes are connected, this may suggest the opposite of what you are thinking. If the pipes are there, probably there is engine coolant circulating through the heater matrix, and therefore it is quite possibly OK. The problem is therefore more likely to be associated with the controls that open and close the flaps that allow cold air from outside to pass through the heater matrix.

If the heater matrix ever needs fixing, it must be replaced.

You should buy a Haynes manual for your AC man as a reference for where things are. It isn't necessarily a simple thing to sort out without some knowledge of the type of controls and where they are (and how to get to them!).

Good luck.

JohnW

Thread Information