gti6 clicking noise when I step off the throttle quickly
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 gti6 clicking noise when I step off the throttle quickly

When I step off the throttle after accelerating, I can hear this click coming from the front, doesn't sound like it's from the engine bay or anything, more towards the footwell, not sure though. It's not very loud, and I've been hearing it for a while though (couple months from what I can remember) I'm finally making this post because I think it's a little louder now.

The click is most pronounced when coming off the throttle quickly to change up to 2nd, and 3rd. Because of this, I thought it was something to do with the gearchange at first..but then I tried stepping off the throttle after brief medium acceleration in 4th without changing up or down, and I can still hear it, albeit it's definitely quieter than when changing up to 2nd and 3rd gear. The click doesn't happen if I come off the throttle very gently, but if it's abrupt'ish I can hear it. Also, it's always just a single click per every time I come off the throttle quickly.

Advertisement

Anyone experienced this or has any ideas on what is could possibly be? Other than that click, the car runs fine, no change in performance or economy etc. but it's just annoying and worrying whether it could lead to something else
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

rek

Does it sound like the sort of click that may be fixed by greasing the pedal's pivot point further up in the footwell? My clutch pedal is sometimes kinda squeaky and that's all it takes to fix it up.

I would be guessing that if that's not the problem, it's something to do with the routing of the throttle cable, and part of that whole deal is tapping something when the pedal is abruptly let go.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Quote Originally Posted by rek
    Does it sound like the sort of click that may be fixed by greasing the pedal's pivot point further up in the footwell? My clutch pedal is sometimes kinda squeaky and that's all it takes to fix it up.

I would be guessing that if that's not the problem, it's something to do with the routing of the throttle cable, and part of that whole deal is tapping something when the pedal is abruptly let go.
    I don't think it's the accelerator pedal's pivot point, because it seems to be louder when I come off the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, and not as loud in 4th. Also my footwell description isn't quite accurate, and though I'm not the best at pinpointing sound locations (I'm shite at it actually), it sounds a little higher, somewhere between the footwell and steering column.

Your mention of the throttle cable routing seems to make sense, since I'm guessing the noise is louder when I come off the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear, due to the decceleration being greater, and causing something to hit against something else. Now that I think about it, bloody hell that could be anything engine mounts on their way out, exhaust manifold hitting something, I dunno. I'll get my mechanic to have a look at it before it gets much worse.

cheers mate!

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

when you are driving and you put you foot and lift off several times is the clicking still there ?

i tend to think it may the engine mount

i have had the same thing for quite a while but i haven't looked at the engine mount yet

when you find out what is causing yours let us know

i know it's an annoying click and it would be good to know

it sounds like a relay clicking on and off ????

if so it's the same as mine
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I've tracked down your problem for you.

You're lifting off the throttle. Keep the boot into it and you won't get that noise !!!
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

I reckon it could be an engine mount too.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

I can be pretty sure it's an engine mount from the description. It's directly in front of you, just the other side of the firewall. If it's a squeaky squarky clicky type sound, the mount is probably ripped out of the body (like I did). If it's just a clicky type sound, the mount is either loose or the rubber is torn/broken. If it goes on too long like this, you'll probably end up ripping the mount out of the body...

Derek.

Pugrambo, yep it does sound like a relay clicking noise! I had a real good listen to it today, and trying to pinpoint the location of the sound, it sounds like it's somewhere in front of me, close to where the dials are but slightly lower, if that makes sense. I'll probably change my mind about where the location is tomorrow Yep when I put the foot down and off several times the clicking is still there.

Also, the click comes not only when I step off the throttle abruptly, but when in 1st and 2nd gear, it does it even when I come off the throttle anything but completely gently..i.e when I ease very gradually off the throttle then there's no noise, but any other time, yep there is a noise.

N5, I like your way of thinking

Lincoln, Deka, you've scared me now. I checked the mounts *visual inspection* and it looks fine, but I will be getting my mechanic to have a good look soon.

cheers guys, will let you know the verdict.

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Yep when I put the foot down and off several times the clicking is still there...
    Jastanis, you should know you shouldn't drive in stillettos...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Jastanis, you should know you shouldn't drive in stillettos...
    you caught me stuey, my double life is no longer a secret. It sure makes for interesting heel and toe'ing too heheh.

- 306 gti6

Pugrambo, yep it does sound like a relay clicking noise! I had a real good listen to it today, and trying to pinpoint the location of the sound, it sounds like it's somewhere in front of me, close to where the dials are but slightly lower, if that makes sense. I'll probably change my mind about where the location is tomorrow Yep when I put the foot down and off several times the clicking is still there.

thats exactly what my noise is

i'd be interested in knowing exactly what it is as i have pulled the car apart looking for it and have found nothing

the only thin i haven't checked is the engine mount and hence that is my suspicion of what it is but i'm hoping it's not

if it is i'll have to be very careful if i need to weld it back up
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I think I have seen this problem before and from what I heard it is easily fixed.... Buy a new car!

Next problem!

The Car doctor is in the house!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

1000+ Posts

Lincoln, Deka, you've scared me now. I checked the mounts *visual inspection* and it looks fine, but I will be getting my mechanic to have a good look soon.

cheers guys, will let you know the verdict.
    Looking at them won't help You need to pull the mount out and have a look. Someone who's experienced the problem will be able to tell straight away when driving it I'd say. Lets hope for the best! Mind you, my repair cost about $180 - which was less than the cost of buying a new mount

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    I think I have seen this problem before and from what I heard it is easily fixed.... Buy a new car!

Next problem!

The Car doctor is in the house!
    Jim, you still living at home dude? Pushing on 30 soon aren't you?

I'd love a new car but I wouldn't know what to buy that would be equivalent to the '6 in terms of the space/size I require, performance, and style and under 50 grand. There are a few cars out there which surpass it in 1 or 2 of those categories, but not all. For how small the '6 looks on the outside, it's got an amazing amount of space.

I reckon when I finally do get something else, I'll get a camry or whatever reliable/economical as a daily driver/troupe carrier and a second hand lotus elise for a weekend thing. It's just getting harder and harder to find a car that'll fulfill both duties.

Deka, there doesn't seem to be any diffeernce in performance/handling so if it is the mount, it's at the initial stage of deterioration. I'll get it checked out soon anyway. I still can't get it out of my mind how much like a relay sound it is. It seems to make it as I take my foot of the accelerator only when the pedal passes a certain point. The location of the noise is too high to be coming from the pedal area itself. It sounds like a loud switch flicking off.

- 306 gti6

check things which are in rotation within the engine bay.......i.e radiator fan, alternator far or even air con far if you have one.

might be something loose so when the engine is off load it temporarily taps together with some'n else to make the clicking sound.

thats my wild guess/stab in the dark anyhow........

I found a replacement
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I found a replacement
    I have to agree, the St170 is a good replacement, but I'd be putting the RS kit onto it. I'd rather naturally aspirated power too, but apparently the RS turbo is setup really well with barely noticable lag.

btw remember we were talking about the pollution control etc muting the power delivery in the st170, and Quentin mentioned his xsara with the same engine as the '6 had pollution control whereas the '6 doesn't have all that. I checked his xsara out briefly, just the throttle response anyway, and it is distinctly different to the '6. It doesn't seem to respond as quickly as the '6 and seems to have a lot of overrun on the throttle. Dunno if all xsara vts's do that though.

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

I'd love a new car but I wouldn't know what to buy that would be equivalent to the '6 in terms of the space/size I require, performance, and style and under 50 grand. There are a few cars out there which surpass it in 1 or 2 of those categories, but not all. For how small the '6 looks on the outside, it's got an amazing amount of space....

....I still can't get it out of my mind how much like a relay sound it is. It seems to make it as I take my foot of the accelerator only when the pedal passes a certain point. The location of the noise is too high to be coming from the pedal area itself. It sounds like a loud switch flicking off...
    Jude, FWIW a GTi6 in white is a fantastic looking machine to my eyes, especially with dark tint. I'd love one.

Derek will correct me if I'm wrong, but the noise is probably the fatigued/cracked metal clicking against each other with the flexing of the metal, going by Dezza's description.

Stu

Jude, FWIW a GTi6 in white is a fantastic looking machine to my eyes, especially with dark tint. I'd love one.

Derek will correct me if I'm wrong, but the noise is probably the fatigued/cracked metal clicking against each other with the flexing of the metal, going by Dezza's description.

Stu

i agree that it is probably the engine mount

i have just never had the time to get out there and do the job to see if it is or not in mine making the sound

the sound is as i asked the question earlier to make sure i wasn't going mad as to it sounding like a relay
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Stu
    Cheers Stuey!

I haven't got the tools or space to check it myself but will have it at the mechanics sometime next month. Will keep you all posted. Thanks lads.

- 306 gti6

Thread Information