406hdi alternator problem 2001 model
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406hdi alternator problem 2001 model

I drove around for about a year without a working alternator by paralleling a tractor battery to the standard bat & charging with a 25A charger when I got to mains power. Now trying to fix. The Valeo alt brush cap was full of dust so i thought the reg had shorted so bought a new reg assembly from the UK fitted but still no good. 0.5V on the small terminal and 12.5V on the big one regardless of running or stopped. Altern will excite if fed 12V on one of the brushes & neg to chassis. Seems like a computer problem. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Altern will excite if fed 12V on one of the brushes & neg to chassis. Seems like a computer problem. Any suggestions?
    I'd suggest a regulator problem, at least at this point in time, especially after back feeding the regulator with 12v+ via the brush.

And possibly a damaged rotor, depending on how long the 12 volts + was left connected.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tadpole

I used the old suspect reg for this test which was done driving the alt off engine using an electric drill. I read on another forum that my model is fed from the computer using PWM to control output. There was still no output after a UK sourced reg was fitted.

Thread Information