407 Reviews
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 407 Reviews

Default 407 Reviews

The 407 press launch was recent, so reviews should be arriving soon.

Here's one of the first, from 4CAR

The review is somewhere in the middle - they seem a bit muted about it, it seems to exude a sense of disappointment. Whilst they are positive about the interior's comfort and spaciousness, there's the usual about the ordinary French auto gearboxes (this one's a 6sp from ZF - IMHO it's all in the programming) and the suspension has disappointed somewhat, especially in the top of the range car

They are positive about its handling in certain variants, but, like the 307, its ride comes in for criticism, especially in the V6 variant with the adaptive damping. If anything, the disappointment comes from Peugeot setting certain expectations.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to throttle steer - how well do 406s throttle steer? The 307 certainly throttle steers if you want it to.

Nevertheless, I look forward to driving one. I'm sure it will be good value.

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Hi Pug307...

Auto Express also tested the 407, so you perhaps can have a different mind about it...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk

Unfortuneately the test isn't available on their site yet
    Pug forever!!

Icon10 407' first day !

First publicity spot and first day for sale....
    in France of course !

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    The 407 press launch was recent, so reviews should be arriving soon.

Here's one of the first, from 4CAR

The review is somewhere in the middle - they seem a bit muted about it, it seems to exude a sense of disappointment. Whilst they are positive about the interior's comfort and spaciousness, there's the usual about the ordinary French auto gearboxes (this one's a 6sp from ZF - IMHO it's all in the programming) and the suspension has disappointed somewhat, especially in the top of the range car

They are positive about its handling in certain variants, but, like the 307, its ride comes in for criticism, especially in the V6 variant with the adaptive damping. If anything, the disappointment comes from Peugeot setting certain expectations.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to throttle steer - how well do 406s throttle steer? The 307 certainly throttle steers if you want it to.

Nevertheless, I look forward to driving one. I'm sure it will be good value.

In my experience the 406 handling responds to the throttle very well.
    Makes up for the steering.
    By the way the one with the Goodyears (NCT 5 I think) was much better than the one with Michelins (XH1).

Graham Wallis

I agree with you Graham.
    By the way, do you have a brother Dr Peter the wine man?

Justin, when you drive one, see if you can drive it at night so you don't scare people un-necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    Justin, when you drive one, see if you can drive it at night so you don't scare people un-necessarily.
    Tell you what, I'll park it in your driveway so it holds the 405 hostage You can sit there for days admiring its svelte beautiful lines

Or, I can follow the AF cycling lads around Albert Park every Sunday in the 407, just to motivate you to cycle faster

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Default Just found this

Hi all,

Just found this review by accident when reading an article about Microsoft and its licence to print money, in the same newspaper.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=515529

They sum it up with
    So, if you are a keen driver, should you buy one? Given today's rivals, it is one of the best prospects in its class for enriching a journey. But, frustratingly, it could surely have been better still.
    They also mention it could well be a EuroNCap winner with the huge nose, for benefits in passenger and pedestrian safety it brings.

Derek.

Fellow Frogger!

Couple of interesting things.

First one is the price: 16450 is A$40000 roughly, or much the same price as a 406 2.0 HDi is here.

Second one is they don't list the Citroen C5 as a rival. Curious. A C5 2.2 HDi VTR lists at 17995 but can be got for 14995 or A$36500. I'm sure even better deals are there to be had, but if that C5 was that price in Australia if would have to be a bargain.

Barry.

nJm

The C5 is being facelifted this year isn't it? I hope so as its styling (if it has any ) is what would put most people off. It isn't just bland, it looks awkward, especially at the front with the up-turned nose.

I think the 407 will sell well in Europe due to its styling. As respectable as the Mondeo - and to a lesser degree the Vectra are, they are quite conservative. I would have to say that Europe tends to be a lot more adventurous with fashion than Australia .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Couple of interesting things.

First one is the price: 16450 is A$40000 roughly, or much the same price as a 406 2.0 HDi is here.
    The good thing is that the price hasn't really moved relative to the 406, plus tariff cuts are due just as the 407 arrives.

Whilst there isn't a direct equivalent to that model in the review in the current range (there isn't a 136HP S model, only the SE and we're dealing a 2.0 in the 407, not the 2.2 in the 406). The 407 110HP S is actually GBP 50 cheaper compared to the 406.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg
    Second one is they don't list the Citroen C5 as a rival. Curious. A C5 2.2 HDi VTR lists at 17995 but can be got for 14995 or A$36500. I'm sure even better deals are there to be had, but if that C5 was that price in Australia if would have to be a bargain.
    Citroens are extremely cheap in the UK, they discount like hell. As was said in a CAR article last year, Citroen is PSA's value/discount arm now. One of the frequent promotions they have is "We'll pay the VAT for you".

Could you imagine having a campaign like that here - "Hey, here's 17.5% off the car, and of course you can still haggle more with the dealer!"

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information