Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dcc236
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By ozie

Thread: 407 v6 diesel issues- help

Tadpole

Default 407 v6 diesel issues- help

My 2008 407 SVHDi has the dreaded engine light on and diagnosis by two reputable garages has so far been inconclusive. Yes there is a fuel problem but not clear whether its the fuel rail, control valve or diesel fuel pump? In any event to find out for sure means dismantling half the motor. I have sourced a remanufactured diesel pump overseas for A$750 + fitment another $700 but not keen until I get some certainty. Has anyone had experience , can recommend how to get to bottom of this? Appreciate input thanks.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

If it were me, I would get my hands on or visit someone with Peugeot diagnostic tools and use them before spending money on parts that may or may not be your solution. The codes they give you should give you a good indication of what the problem is or where to start.
    Roland likes this.

1000+ Posts

I agree. It isn't just the error code numbers that are needed as the extra information that can be provided only by the PSA software. Too much money is involved to put in parts speculatively.

Do you know the codes that have been read? The Peugeot commentary on them may be useful.
    Roland likes this.

Tadpole

the two codes that came up were : p0082 diesel high pressure fuel pressure too low and p1351 pre/post heating relay circuit.
    I agree with both of you re having PSA software scan vehicle but would appreciate independent garage to do so as if it's the pump I can source o/seas but if Peugeot scan they want $3100 for pump. Any ideas?

1000+ Posts

I hope I'm not all mixed up this morning - I thought P0082 refers to the valve timing control solenoid, No 2 bank, and P1351 is the glow plug relay.

Where in Sydney are you? There are some independent garages that can help you with the right test gear. Some that come to mind are www.colliersauto.com.au/ Granville, Car Mechanic Chatswood Chatswood, and Christie's Autocare at Penrith. Revivemylion is a mobile mechanic.
    Last edited by seasink; 17th March 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    andrepug likes this.

Hi Ozie - Welcome to AussieFrogs !!!

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Revivemylion. Now there's a good name!

Quote Originally Posted by andrepug View Post
    Revivemylion. Now there's a good name!
    I've been told he an ex-dealer mechanic, charging dealer prices, but he works from your driveway.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

1000+ Posts

See http://www.revivemylion.com/. John isn't cheap, but knows his job. He can diagnose. Recommended.

is the engine check light the only problem?

Tadpole

Just thought the forum should know that as a hunch given the codes indicated a fuel problem and in light of the fact that my fuel filter had just recently been replaced, I decided to change the fuel filter. No more codes, no engine light, nothing but smooth performance as before. Considering the hundreds of $$ spent in diagnosis before, I think if these codes come up the first most economical thing to do is change the fuel filter. It may not be the issue and importantly mine had been replaced just a few months before but there you have it, a simple solution.
    andrepug likes this.

A long time truck driver once told me that they always look at the fuel filter/s first as it's a common cause.

Quote Originally Posted by ozie View Post
    . . . my fuel filter had just recently been replaced, I decided to change the fuel filter..
    . .
    So just for interest - was the "new" filter that was the first replacement, a faulty unit, or did you find that it was full of gunk etc. when you replaced it with the second new filter?

If it was blocked then has the tank got a load of crud in it?

Cheers
    Roland

Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

1000+ Posts

I bought a pump for a misdiagnosed 306 from england , exchange ,and found that the return freight was more than the ,holding deposit they had charged till they received the old pump ,trap for young players ,especially as it wasn't the pump that was the problem ,check the simple things first ,pugs

Tadpole

No the new filter looked fine. My first thought was that after the light/codes disappeared that there might be something in the tank but the car has now run for weeks without further issue. A friend did say it was possible some micro film could develop on occasion on the filter but to date nothing conclusive.

Thread Information