Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By denxm
  • 1 Post By neural revolt
  • 1 Post By PeterT
  • 2 Post By qvik
  • 1 Post By Stuey

Thread: Purflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps

Default Purflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps

Having grown tired of trying to contort my arms into ever decreasing crevices and using tools that don't quite do the job, I've decided to get an oil filter cap.

I've discovered that an outfit called Beta Tools are making Purflux specific oil filter wrench caps

Purflux® oil-filter wrenches - Beta Tools

Has anyone here used one and comment on the fit? I found the Australian distributor and they said they've never sold one.

Purflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-r48347_hr.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by qvik; 7th March 2017 at 11:10 PM.

While oil filters are reasonably easy to install by hand.

"Oil gasket, clean seating area, screw until contact, tighten 3/4 turn. Start engine. Check for leaks."

I very much doubt the pictured "oil filter cap" is going to be good enough to undo a filter after 12 months or 20,000ks.

More often than not they seem to weld themselves on and need a decent device to get enough leverage to get them off. (I use a chain wrench)

cheers
    Roland

Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    While oil filters are reasonably easy to install by hand.

"Oil gasket, clean seating area, screw until contact, tighten 3/4 turn. Start engine. Check for leaks."

I very much doubt the pictured "oil filter cap" is going to be good enough to undo a filter after 12 months or 20,000ks.

More often than not they seem to weld themselves on and need a decent device to get enough leverage to get them off. (I use a chain wrench)

cheers
    Roland

[I]"au contraire[I]" Roland,
    Back in the day of the Renault 19 the original fit Purflux filters had a cap, as per the picture attached. When the 19's came through for first service I would remove the caps. They were attached with a silastic type adhesive. I had a few of these that I gave to my fellow Peugeotists.

Unfortunately most of them were binned by my co-workers who couldn't see the point in keeping them.

I have seen a similar kit of various removal caps in Auto One. Probably meant for a workshop situation.

Unfortunately the picture doesn't show the hex for easing removal with a spanner.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 7th March 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Ah - I wondered if it had a hex shape on the top but forgot to mention it!
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

I think it uses a 1/2" drive

I have a webbing/seatbelt type filter remover with 1/2 in drive,it's the ducks nuts,never a problem,found it's the best to use.
    robmac likes this.

For difficult to remove filters, I used a 12" screwdriver, hammered thru the filter and used as a lever.. worked every time, even if a bit messy.
    BIGRR likes this.
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

1000+ Posts

These caps have been used for years. If you have room to fit the socket holder and hold the cap on, why not get one?

I've got one. It has a 3/8" square drive hole. It's the only way to remove an oil filter.
    Alain likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Agreed. So I've ordered one.

On both my 306 and Scenic, the oil filter is pretty much flush with all the encumbrances around it. I can't even use the screwdriver method, because if I could pierce the filter I couldn't turn it.

So the best way is to get leverage from top of the filter. It helps that I have a 72 tooth ratchet so I don't to turn it too much.

Sent from my D5833 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

"Young Dave" Cavanagh has/had some Purflux filter tools.....angled handle....how do I know.....I bought one off him some years ago.

May have some.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    "Young Dave" Cavanagh has/had some Purflux filter tools.....angled handle....how do I know.....I bought one off him some years ago.

May have some.
    Thanks for the free plug Pete but I don't stock them anymore. We still use them and there great but I just buy them off my mate Dave at Qualitool in Geelong. Dave will post anywhere and is a fellow frogger. Because he's into French cars and runs a tool business he has a wealth of knowledge about what tool suits what job.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

As with a few of my 'special purpose' tools I've made my own Peugeot oil filter removal tool.

It's basically a large ring spanner with the 'teeth' cut into it to match the notches in the Purflux filter base. I had some spare 3mm sheet steel lying around one day 20 or so years ago, traced the base of a filter onto the steel, added a 30cm (or so) long handle to one side, and cut it out with an angle grinder. It did every oil filter change on the GTi6 for 11 or so years. Still have it.

Access was such that I couldn't see the the OP's tool working in that particular situation as there wasn't room to stack a 1/2in drive on the end.

Similar story with the 308 2.0 HDi oil filter - the factory tool is rubbish as it involves extra steps to use it. I bought a 27mm combination ring spanner with a ratchet end, and simply cut off the open end of the spanner. Quick and easy to use, and a one tool, one step process to use it.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Fellow Frogger!

I had one I bought off ebay, worked well but got stolen along with all my other tools.

I'll get another one, very handy.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

1000+ Posts

On the HDI plastic caps I use a short handled slogging spanner. Overkill, but perfect.

So the tool arrived yesterday. I thought I'd share in case people are interested.

It's a Beta Tools 1493-76-L12. I got it off ebay for about $19 but it's available slightly cheaper through as Aus distributor called Unipac.

76 is for 76mm diameter and 12 is for 12 notches. It fits a 1/2" drive. It fits perfectly on the Purflux LS867B and LS932 oil filters and gets a confident grip. If I have one gripe, it's that driver on the socket wrench gets too far into the cap resulting in it having to sit about 5mm off the top of the filter. However it doesn't affect grip.

Purflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-dsc_0911.jpgPurflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-dsc_0912.jpgPurflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-dsc_0913.jpgPurflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-dsc_0914.jpgPurflux specific Oil Filter wrench caps-dsc_0915.jpg
    Wildebeest and leithant like this.

1000+ Posts

Hi Dave...Maybe put Dave's no. up.

1000+ Posts

qvik, I have that exact tool, sold under the Sealey Tools brand. Looks like the same factory turned them out. I too suffered for years until I got the 206 and some monkey before I owned the car had tightened the filter so tight even using the screwdriver through the filter method took me an hour to remove it. Never again, I ordered the tool that day.
    qvik likes this.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information