Broke the 505 (again)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By signwilson

Thread: Broke the 505 (again)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Broke the 505 (again)

Yesterday while fixing another car & rummaging for a stubby screwdriver realised it was 'hidden' in the back of the 505. Retrieved the keys, went outside, found the sd, shutting the tailgate it went all wobbly.

What happened was the single bolt holding the nearside hinge plate to the bracket had sheared.

Found a replacement (M6 x20mm), propped up the tailgate with a bit of wood, fitted same. Problem now is the offside hinge assembly has distorted due to the load of holding the whole gate.

Advertisement

What's my best solution? I'm thinking remove whole thing, position anvil & hammer hingeplate flat again, but doesn't seem to be much clearance to do that. Can the hingepin be driven out? Anyone else had this happen? (single M6 bolt per side doesn't seem overly generous!)
    Broke the 505 (again)-img_0341.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)

Haven't had that particular problem with my Estate but I would think that you will have to remove the whole tailgate (very very heavy) and get to work straightening all that is bent.

Good luck

Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 2nd April 2017 at 07:54 PM.
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    406 SV Sedan D8 - Manual (1998)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Roland, yes I got a sense of the weight of the thing when it broke. Job may have to wait until plenty of help is available.

There seems to be a cable coming through from car to tailgate each side (I guess 1 for wiper, 1 for heated window with number plate light thrown in somewhere as well). Anyone know if you disconnect these within the tailgate, or is there somewhere behind the roof headlining to separate them & pull through to remove with tailgate?

Horrible feeling I may need a replacement tailgate if the distortion extends to the frame metalwork :-(

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

It will only be the hinge they are a pain I pulled mine out and re welded it. they are not very solid you have to move the hood lining to get at it
    baldrick56 likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks SW, I'll report how I go. "not very solid" sums it up, can anyone tell me how many bolts hold the tailgate in a 504 wagon &/or 404 wagon?

Remember years back parking a hatchback at a coastal carpark with a full gale blowing. Opening the lid to get stuff out the back, the whole car rocked from the wind force on the open back - try that in a 505 wagon & the back end would be off on its own voyage!

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Fellow Frogger!

Still not fixed yet, needless to say I'm keen on it not happening again post-fix. To that end I've just ordered a bumper-pack of 'Grade 10.9' M6x20 m/c screws from the USA. Looked at Grade 12.9 from Blackwoods - these were over $40 each (plus a wack of postage). I can get Titanium screws for $34 ea, but irritatingly can find no comparator for 'grade' or breaking strain to compare to the steels! Also whilst the titanium is apparently 'corrosion proof' I'm not so certain about the tapped bracket it goes into - strikes me you'd be setting up a nice little galvanic cell if these were used. Any thoughts anyone?
    Rob

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick56 View Post
    I can get Titanium screws for $34 ea, but irritatingly can find no comparator for 'grade' or breaking strain to compare to the steels! Also whilst the titanium is apparently 'corrosion proof' I'm not so certain about the tapped bracket it goes into - strikes me you'd be setting up a nice little galvanic cell if these were used. Any thoughts anyone?
    I can't see a reason to go anything beyond a stainless fastener, and a high strength steel will be a good equivalent to whats in there already. Titanium and plastics appear mostly for aeronautical (hobby or not) applications as they are stronger by weight, but for the same sized fastener they'll actually be weaker than a steel bolt.
    406 HDi

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks HM, still awaiting the new bolts at the moment.

Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Fellow Frogger!

Ta..daaaaa,

it's fixed now, though events didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped . Had trouble opening the tailgate, so distorted was the mounting, put the car in the garage & used my engine crane to hold the weight of the tailgate while I removed the bolts. Spent some time tracing where the cables sprang from & disconnecting & prising apart the infernal little plastic connector housings. Tied bits of string around the disconnected cable ends, including the ones from the courtesy light in the load bay because yes, the cables run all the way from the front, into the tailgate, then back our again to the wee light. Having disconnected the bolts, I started to move the thing away from the car, pulling cables as I went. It quickly became apparent that there are so many 'projections' into the void of the "D" pillar from trim fixings / seatbelt mounts etc, that the cable snags on everything all the time. As I cajoled & pushed & pulled it also became apparent that the pvc sleeve 'protection' to the wires is absolute caca in quality terms. A section of loom appeared where the coloured insulation was exposed in a tear (photo). I really didn't think I'd be reliving this nightmare so soon after writing about it {see my post "They said it was easy" - ohhh shameless plug!}

Pausing here, I thought maybe I could drive out a hingepin thus avoiding the need to completely remove the thing. Grabbed a pin punch & hammered at it, no movement at all Up to plan "C" by now I measured carefully the mounting brackets riveted to the shell. As I feared the offside one had distorted, taking up a slight "U" shape (photo). Managed to beat it back to profile with a hammer & drift, & better still without loosening the rivets. Using a vernier depth gauge both brackets were the same offset from the roof fold now.

As I'd given up the idea of completely removing the tailgate & sadly didn't have a second engine crane to lift my blacksmiths anvil to the height of the hingeplate I determined to 'reprofile' same using the trusty 'molegrips.' By progressively tightening with spacer-pieces under the jaws I managed to flatten out the plate (photo) until it was acceptably flat & measure checked the same as the other one when at the limit of its travel.

After that it was simply a matter of carefully lowering the tailgate until I could fit my brand new grade 10.9 machine screws, used some threadlocker as well. About another 45mins of re-jigging electrics, hose, & trim that I didn't need to remove. At the end of it all the tailgate shuts easy, all my careful measuring hasn't quite achieved perfection as I have a 7mm panel gap nearside & a 9mm one offside - but I'll live with that

Broke the 505 (again)-p1020630.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020631.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020635.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020638.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020643.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020647.jpgBroke the 505 (again)-p1020648.jpg
    Baldrick,

1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 Holden Astra Equipe

Thread Information