Aussie Diesel Fuel Quality
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: Aussie Diesel Fuel Quality

Aussie Diesel Fuel Quality

I am still looking at a 406HDi but have been hearing some rumblings about the diesel fuel quality in Aus. Something about waxing etc. Does anybody happen to have any articles or write ups or even better real experiences with poor quality diesel?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Paul,
    The latest Citroen club mag has a good article on Peugeots decision not to import any more diesels because of our poor quality fuel.
    I'll show you next time your passing through.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

XTC
    David Cavanagh:
    Paul, The latest Citroen club mag has a good article on Peugeots decision not to import any more diesels because of our poor quality fuel.
    I'll show you next time your passing through.
    David.
    We aren't getting the high compression diesels, but I thought the regular ones were coming. If only the govt would regulate the sulphur levels and such ... a diesel can be as clean as any other engine and convert more power.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

The 406HDI will operate happily on our diesel, the quality issue is stopping the newer more advanced diesels coming into the country. A simple solution is to make your own Ah Biodiesel gotta luv the smell from the tail pipe and people salivating at traffic lights.

My 505 SRB(biodiesel)T runs on B100 most of the time and has a sticker on the back, Caution this car farts french fries. My Intercooled Turbo Landcruiser also runs B100 and in addition to the above sticker has McDiesel Inside. Check the tdi website, they have the sticker diesel inside taken from intel inside. I modified it for Biodiesel. For more information on using and making try <a href="http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html" target="_blank">http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html</a>
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Yep. Its just the "next generation" diesels that we are missing out on. The current peugeot diesels are apparently pretty tolerant.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

XTC
    So is this good or bad news for our cars ?

*Cabinet may set ethanol petrol target*

More Australian motorists could be filling up with petrol containing ethanol if federal Cabinet agrees to new measures to encourage use of the biofuel.

Cabinet is expected to consider a proposal for a voluntary target of 2 per cent ethanol in petrol today.

Ewan McPherson from the Australian Institute of Petroleum says that would be a good move.

"That won't mean that each litre of petrol will have 2 per cent of ethanol in it," Mr McPherson said.

"What you'll see is that parts of the country will have ethanol in their fuel, probably in the range of 8 and 10 per cent, other parts won't.

"We've been working with the Government to get ethanol into the marketplace for some time on a reliable sound basis."

But Ian Ballantyne from the Australian Canegrowers Council was hoping for more.

"Two per cent is very small but it's a start, 5 per cent would be better and 10 per cent is our goal," Mr Ballantyne said.

"If they don't ultimately mandate for the use of ethanol, we think that it will probably fall short."

Cabinet is expected to also consider support for ethanol producers and an education campaign to promote the biofuel.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've just started running a Merc VITO 108CDi which has a small Turbo Diesel motor.

I've had two tanks of Shell Diesel and one of Woolworths diesel just to see if there was any running difference. Apparently not from current driving.
    Does anyone know where Woolworths gets there diesel from?
    Will it be Shell soon when they take over Shell outlets?

ipb

I'm afraid we are likely to be seeing more ethanol around in petrol XTC.

While I feel some sympathy for the apparent financial plight of the cane growers it seems crazy to me to be producing fuel from sugar cane. The cane industry is already an environmental nightmare. (- just try breathing in Queensland when they are burning off ! Air quality in coastal Queensland at such times makes Newcastle in the 1950's look good. The run off from the cane areas is doing pretty nasty things to the reef too)

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

ipb205:
    I've just started running a Merc VITO 108CDi which has a small Turbo Diesel motor.

I've had two tanks of Shell Diesel and one of Woolworths diesel just to see if there was any running difference. Apparently not from current driving.
    Does anyone know where Woolworths gets there diesel from?
    Will it be Shell soon when they take over Shell outlets?

ipb
    Its Coles who are taking over some of the Shell outlets ipb.

According to Woolworths / Safeway :

BP supplies the majority of fuel sold to Plus Petrol customers in WA, SA, QLD and Tasmania. In NSW and Victoria, the majority is supplied by Trafigura, an international supplier that purchases from available refineries overseas. Trafigura also buys fuel from local suppliers Shell, Caltex and Mobil. Caltex also supplies fuel to a number of Plus Petrol outlets on mainland Australia.
    see <a href="http://www.woolworthslimited.com.au/shareholdercentre/news/publicdocuments/18-01-2002_a.asp" target="_blank">http://www.woolworthslimited.com.au/shareholdercentre/news/publicdocuments/18-01-2002_a.asp</a> for more info

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Fellow Frogger!
    I run a 406 HDI and have clocked up 180,000kms so far with no problems at all. The only difference in fuel economy is in winter around here with the winter fuel mix and our economy drops fractionally. We get around 5.5 to 5.9 lt/per 100km.

Bloody 'ell; here we go again!!

When leaded fuel was the go, we had such a variety of lead content from one State to another it was unbelievable.
    I went to a service conference sponsored by OMC (Johnson/Evinrude outboards) and was shown eaten out castings from electrolysis on a motor from a Police Patrol boat in Brisbane & then told about teh lead content % in each State with WA having the highest, Qld second highest & NSW & Vic the lowest (but I can't remember in which order) and it got better; apparently there was some cases where the metropolitan % was different to the regional and you wonder why you have problems tuning your car. no wonder they went for EFI in such a big way; takes the onus off the Oil companies to maintain standards. Should get interesting if they pull the same stunt with this "Moonshine" fuel. mallet mallet deal

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The idea of the different lead contents in metro areas was to reduce the city pollution levels. It was common knowledge those days that your car went better if you fuelled up in the bush... downside was that the fuel was dearer.

The answer? Buy your fuel at an outer city outlet that was fed from country supplies. Warragamba was cool...

Hi all,

BP have just released ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel). I believe now 50 ppm sulphur as compared to legislation requiring 500 ppm as from 1 January 2003.Obviously a "greener" product and BP claim reduces engine corrosion and extends lubricant life with no adverse impact on performance. Also no difference in price. Apparently now available in Brisbane and will be distributed thoughout during August 2003. Has anyone used it? See BP Home Page.

Peter J.
    PJ

UFO
    Rod Hagen:
    I'm afraid we are likely to be seeing more ethanol around in petrol XTC.

While I feel some sympathy for the apparent financial plight of the cane growers it seems crazy to me to be producing fuel from sugar cane. The cane industry is already an environmental nightmare. (- just try breathing in Queensland when they are burning off ! Air quality in coastal Queensland at such times makes Newcastle in the 1950's look good. The run off from the cane areas is doing pretty nasty things to the reef too)

Cheers

Rod
    Hey Rod, I read Pug forum occassionally too!

From what I recall from recent visits to Qld and NNSW, very little cane is burnt off before harvesting these days. (Correct me if wrong Qlders) The newer machinery makes harvesting fine without the burn and the yield from the cane is better.

However, I too would hate to see an unreasoned increase in Ethanol content other than producers (such as Manildra at Nowra) lobbying for it.

Ethanol as a fuel is fine, BUT (this is a big BUT - said the hooker to the client) Aussie spec cars are not fitted with the correct seals etc and lots of other bits I imagine, to use ethanol without serious damage occuring.

Brazil can use something like 50% ethanol in their cars cause the specs of the engines allow it.

As for diesel sold in Aus, most of it comes from Singapore regardless of supplier.

Dad uses diesel in his Landy TD 4WD and has not reported any hassles with any brand fuel.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ray Bell:
    The idea of the different lead contents in metro areas was to reduce the city pollution levels. It was common knowledge those days that your car went better if you fuelled up in the bush... downside was that the fuel was dearer.

The answer? Buy your fuel at an outer city outlet that was fed from country supplies. Warragamba was cool...
    From what I was told at that seminar, there was no difference between City & Country; it was from State to State.
    I used to offside on a fuel Tanker in Holidays years ago & in those days you just queued up behind whichever tanker was in front regardless of whether he came from out west or locally. Also, the Urangan Jetty when functional unloaded the bulk tankers straight into the Elizabeth Street terminal & tankers collected that from as far south as the Sunshine Coast & North to Rockhampton.
    As far as the prices go, that was a classic case of conning.
    Maryborough was cheaper than Hervey Bay, Caloundra was cheaper than Maryborough. Reason was that it was worked on a "grid" price based on the distance from Brisbane, so if the fuel was unloaded at Urangan & then carted to Caloundra, they paid less for the fuel than Hervey Bay/Maryborough did even though they were based at where it came in due to being further away from Brisbane. One grid ended supposedly halfway between Hervey Bay & Maryborough, hence the higher price in the Bay; well that was the excuse they gave anyway.....amazing how devious minds can work isn't it?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Icon6

G'day,
    there used to be, or maybe still is, a bloke in the Peugeot club than ran a 404 ? on used fish & chip oil. I wonder, is he still going ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    there used to be, or maybe still is, a bloke in the Peugeot club than ran a 404 ? on used fish & chip oil. I wonder, is he still going ?
    It was/is a 405. He presented at a CCCNSW meeting some years ago. Can't remember his name - maybe someone else such as SLC206 knows?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    Is he the bloke with the great flock of sea gulls following him around..?

I can't remember his name either, but he had a white 405
    UFO likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Easy, the big issue was them being ambushed for off road fuel excise, because they had no excise they were excluded and bye bye industry. There are one or two plants still.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

And a guy running a 406 in Launceston who makes his own biodiesel.

Been driving the diesel Koleos for six years and 100,00km plus. Every now and then the DPF filter warning light comes on so a total 200km belt up and back the highway at 100 km/h + is indicated. The offending light goes out for about six months. My commute these days is in heavy traffic to and from Port Melbourne. I've never noticed any diesel fuel related issues and I buy my fuel from the same servo 95% of the time.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Easy, the big issue was them being ambushed for off road fuel excise, because they had no excise they were excluded and bye bye industry. There are one or two plants still.
    what is the issue there?

Thread Information