95% of current cars go to scrap...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Peter Chisholm
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: 95% of current cars go to scrap...

Default 95% of current cars go to scrap...

... after the autonomous apple iCar/equivalent is introduced..
    ... most people think driving is a hassle anyway..
    ..they don't need a garage, no parking costs or stress...
    ..its cheaper to uber hire-on-command with their phone...
    ... the government hikes up rego costs for people that insist on driving themselves, they are dangerous in the new system...
    ...classic cars are about all that is left, to LOOK at?..

Advertisement

We saw massive swathes of old cars leave the road after compulsory RWC's were introduced, in combo with good Korean cars costing $12K and with a 5 year warranty. It would not take long for Kodak-cars to become irrelevant either.

If this was right, Kodak cars instantly worthless, but real classic cars? Drag to a track and that's it?
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

VIP Sponsor

Kodak cars??

I am referring to Kodak film going out of business almost overnight after the intro of digital cameras.
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

1000+ Posts

A bit Melbourne-centric. I can't remember a time without roadworthy checks.

When I was a student we all drove ancient but roadworthy bombs - the oldest were prewar cars about 30 (Ford As). Most were about 10 years old (Prefects, early side bashing Minors, Austins). Few Holdens then - too new, and too thirsty. Cars were then a grear deal dearer relatively than now.

Only a few rich and silly fathers had kids with new cars. It doesn't seem much different today. Just change the marque names.
    pug206gti likes this.

Maybe he means annual RWCs which, correct me if I'm wrong, only exist in NSW?

1000+ Posts

New South Welshmen can't remember when there weren't annual RWCs. It doesn't seem to have made the NSW "car park" newer, or caused a rush to the scrappers, but someone may have statistics. It's Vics that complain now that RWCs have arrived.

I see cars going off the road only because the whole-Australia market has devalued them to less than repair and maintenance cost.

NSW folk refer to the "pink slip" which according to the net costs about $35. Exactly what does a pink slip actually check?

Not sure what you mean by Vics complaining now that RWCs have arrived. Have always been required in Vic in relation to selling a car and we still don't have an annual RWC.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    NSW folk refer to the "pink slip" which according to the net costs about $35. Exactly what does a pink slip actually check?
    At rego (thats what everyone I know calls it) time, I look for inspectors who's only check is that i have $35 dollars cash.

Jo
    borosa likes this.

1000+ Posts

The rules in NSW are like other states - the ADR stuff must be in good order, and there is a collection of extra rules, like oily underneaths and holes in seats. Inspection standards vary. Jo finds a bloke who doesn't care for his lucrative registration status. The blokes around me here are tough. All cars get hoisted. Toughest of all are the inspectors from the RMS.

You get the odd kind mechanic. I know one who if he sometimes picks something lets me fix it without a reinspection fee. I make a point of doing the inspection first myself. He likes thrashing my DS3 on a back road for the braking test.

When Mr Plod finds something it had better not be on a recently inspected vehicle, or the RMS can pay the rego inspector a visit, as well as wrecking the vehicle owner's day. The computers match data.

So for about $35 do a full RWC? Seems very cheap.

Not an impossible scenario. When you view Melbourne from my favourite angle (3000feet) the traffic does look illogical, masses of vehicles flowing along the arteries. Eventually a more practical, faster and safer system will surely evolve. Wait until Melbourne reaches the projected 9 million and that may stimulate change. Will old cars still be allowed?

VIP Sponsor

Standards aren't as high in NSW, I have bought three cars from there, all were unroadworthy. Would make it hard if Vic goes to annual roadworthies plus our much higher standards.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    At rego (thats what everyone I know calls it) time, I look for inspectors who's only check is that i have $35 dollars cash.

Jo
    popinandgettaa likes this.

All it takes is a few self-driving cars to drive off a washed out bridge or similar incident and it will all be off. Seriously, this is not going to happen on a wide scale for over 50 years.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2005 smart fortwo cdi pulse cabriolet, written off @247,274 km
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

1000+ Posts

It's actually $39 for a car still registered, more if not. There are also reinspection fees after repair. Blue slips cost more still. I know of a place that does no other work using two men, and it can be quick when you are set up for it.

Standards do vary. Jo and Graham have found slack places. They exist, at least until the government computer spots something. We used to make jokes about chucking the brake testing gear up and then catching it. Some think that they can have multiple inspections at different stations without repair until a slack place clears them, but the computer notices.

Top mechanics and dealers never are lax in my experience. Failures lead to repair jobs, much of their business.

As I said, at the stations around here all cars are hoisted for a suspension and underbody check, which takes longer if the car isn't regularly serviced there. Over the years I have been picked for such trivia as a worn rubber accelerator pedal or a touch of oil at a gearbox seal.

I have scrapped several fairly good older cars because I knew that they would be picked up at rego, and the cost of repair exceeded the market value of the car. Their last drive still registered was to the wrecker.

Quote Originally Posted by sanders View Post
    Not an impossible scenario. When you view Melbourne from my favourite angle (3000feet) the traffic does look illogical, masses of vehicles flowing along the arteries. Eventually a more practical, faster and safer system will surely evolve. Wait until Melbourne reaches the projected 9 million and that may stimulate change. Will old cars still be allowed?
    Perhaps there will be a city entry fee that is high for old cars that don't fit with the new system. Rural/ everywhere else will be a share of autonomous and normal driving.
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    All it takes is a few self-driving cars to drive off a washed out bridge or similar incident and it will all be off. Seriously, this is not going to happen on a wide scale for over 50 years.
    I agree that accidents like that would slow down introduction but I bet you we see very serious changes in the next 10 years.
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

As Melbourne and Sydney are already suffering serious transport congestion the planned doubling of the population will demand new solutions. Alternatively people could simply accept spending hours in traffic every day as part of life as the cities slide towards third world status. I notice Melbourne is already taking on some of the transport quirks that made driving in Jo'Burg so exciting.

Fellow Frogger

So, how does the generic self driving car take me from the city to the sticks and then down my rough dirt track avoiding the sharp stones and rocks that would take out the tyres and sump with a moment's inattention. Not workable in that situation and with the proportion of 4WD and SUVs sold, you can see where the market has already headed.

It could also all fall over quite easily and is probably on borrowed time and just 'assumed' that GPS will work.
    Our future is in ruins: the archaeology of space, satellites and orbital junk - Hack - triple j
    Buy a sextant!

1000+ Posts

I don't think any of those new cars will ever visit Shane's place.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

In Australia almost nobody lives outside the cities. It is one of the most urbanised countries in the world (not at the top though).

Those few who do live in rural areas will likely not be in the market for autonomous vehicles for quite some time, if ever.

Autonomous vehicles are quite capable of driving safely even without GPS, although route planning would likely require intervention prior to commencing a drive. The automatic systems can remain in control even when unexpected events happen.

Legislation is the main sticking point at the moment as someone has to be in charge of the vehicle when it is being used. I know California started working on updating the legislation many years ago and have not yet managed to bring in the necessary changes. Victoria is definitely working on it now, again with slow progress. I foresee autonomous vehicles being used in private road networks initially (airports for example).

I first experience six monthly inspections for older cars in NZ. I believe the main aim of the NZ Government was to prop up the car maintenance industry financially using the political excuse of making the cars including exports on the road safer. However, majority of accidents were caused by drivers incompetence and not the vehicle. There were still un roadworthy cars driven on the roads even with these authoritarian measures. The cost of rego & inspections reduced the ability to physically maintain the vehicle. NSW 12 monthly RWC for cars over 5 years old are a pain, and aimed at persuading drivers to buy new vehicles. Some less than 5 year old cars have worn out brakes and all sorts of issues related to wear & tear and abuse so it does not address safety. I found some good inspectors which were reasonable, but others were trying to bleed as much money out of you as possible. I now prefer to have the inspector independent from the repairer for this reason. A repair at an inspection point can cost 300% more than your French vehicle service agent. I also prefer a French car experienced mechanic because they know what they are looking at. Anyway my personal experience with generic service centers including NMRA approved is your french car is returned in worse condition than delivered. A recent discussion with a openly honest smash repairer highlighted this maintance sabotage is common across Sydney. You are paying for series sabotage of your vehicle with unapproved generic (cheap) lubricant/filters and damage to maintenance panels e.g leaving out screws are replacing with wrong fasteners. I guess the commercial vehicle sector wants you to buy a new car and drive it for 5 years then buy another new car, it's the way the global disposable world is going.

Unless classic car groups united, I expect them to be caught up in these easily introduced, generic laws.

Thread Information