405srtd heater problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405srtd heater problem

Hi everyone my SRTD is going like a dream. I have one problem my heater is not working. The A/C is going fine I hope its something I maybe able to fix. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Iam very impressed by AUSSIEFROGS its great to see so many people with a great knowledge of French autos willing to share and disscus issues. LuLu.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    Hi everyone my SRTD is going like a dream. I have one problem my heater is not working. The A/C is going fine I hope its something I maybe able to fix. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Iam very impressed by AUSSIEFROGS its great to see so many people with a great knowledge of French autos willing to share and disscus issues. LuLu.
    LuLu,

It could be many, many things. However, presuming you bought the 405 secondhand, the suspicious in me suggests a check of whether the heater matrix is actually connected to the cooling system. A leaking matrix is fixable but not a simple task, and a previous owner might just have changed the hoses behind the engine so as to isolate it.

I hope this is a red herring, but it's worth a check.

Good luck

JohnW

I would tend to agree with John. Check that your heater hoses are not simply looped back on each other rather than going into the heater matrix. I would be easiest to remove the intercooler to aid your diagnosis. This is an easy task, the two 10mm bolts at the front and three 6mm allen key bolts at the rear will have it clear. The heater hose comes off the back of the head.

HTH
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Default Reason For

Thanks for the info is there a reason why the heater hoses would be disaconnected. I will have a look this weekend if this is the case. LuLu

Thanks for the info is there a reason why the heater hoses would be disaconnected. I will have a look this weekend if this is the case. LuLu
    If the heater matrix inside the car is leaking it requires removal of the dash to replace it. Therefore disconnecting it is a quick and cheap workaround. PITA though if you want the heater to work.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Default sorry for being so ignorant

So if the heater matrix is leaking will that mean I am going to have constant hot air comming through the vents if I reconnect the hoses?
    Is there diagrames available of the heater system so that I can gain a understanding of how the system works. LuLu

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

if the heater matrix is leaking then the car will have a constant flow of coolant into the car and out of the engine

for starters see if the hoses are hooked up and then go from there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

So if the heater matrix is leaking will that mean I am going to have constant hot air comming through the vents if I reconnect the hoses?
    Is there diagrames available of the heater system so that I can gain a understanding of how the system works. LuLu
    LuLu,

I'll try to keep this basic and logical.

1. The heater matrix is like an extra radiator, but behind the dashboard. Hot water (coolant) from the engine circulates to both the radiator and the heater matrix.

2. When you turn on the heater, you allow air through the heater matrix, and it is heated, just like the air moving through the radiator.

3. Sometimes the heater matrix develops a leak (which lets hot coolant run inside the front of the car by your feet) and the easiest way of fixing it is to stop the water from reaching the matrix. This isn't a fix but it stops the leak, especially before selling the car!! This is my suspicion but not necessarily the problem. It may be the air controls, for example.

4. The correct fix for a leaking matrix is to replace it. This is a nasty and expensive job, as the entire dashboard has to come out, or at least part of it, depending upon the exact model.

5. So for you, the first check is whether something has been done to the two rubber hoses behind the engine that connect through the firewall to the heater matrix. If the hoses do not connect through the firewall, either being blocked off or if you see a loop of hose from one outlet pipe to another, that looks "different", for example with non-standard hose clamps and bits of pipe etc, then expect that the matrix has failed and the previous owner did the cheap fix. It is usually obvious if there has been a cheap and nasty fix.

A diagram is available if you buy a workshop manual (Haynes is the usual one) from a motoring bookshop, in all capital cities. This will also show you what an awful job it is to replace the matrix.

One key to avoiding this problem is proper servicing of the car, with coolant changes exactly as specified.

Good luck - we'll be interested to hear what the problem is when you have worked it out.

Cheers

JohnW

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

LuLu

check out my thread about the 604 heater

that may explain a little to you as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information