• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 3 Post By johnbouy

Thread: 2006 407 Wagon Air Conditioning Mystery

Tadpole

Default 2006 407 Wagon Air Conditioning Mystery

I have a 2006 407 wagon with the 2.7L HDi twin turbo engine. It has been into a Peugeot Dealer (Pacific Euro) with the following problem:

Advertisement

When first powered up if the cabin is cool or moderately warm the air conditioner blows cool/cold air right away. However if the cabin is warmer to hot when powered up the air conditioner blows warm air for a variable amount of time (typically between 3 to 5 mins). After this period the pitch of the fan changes slightly and it starts to blow cold air. The dealer has had their A/C tech look at it and he has said everything is normal (i.e. pressures ok and Planet readouts all nominal). I thought maybe a flap motor was bad or sticking but they say everything tests ok. So either the dealer doesn't know anything about the A/C which I doubt, I am too fussy about the 407s ability to cool but it has worked well in the past or there is something obscure wrong with the system. So for all you knowledgeable Peugeot people anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?
    Johnbouy

2006 407 SW HDi 2.7L 6 spd auto

1000+ Posts

I drive a C5, but the heater/AC is much the same as the 407. Is your car AC in Auto mode? In that mode when started up on a hot day with an over-heated interior, the fan goes mental and blows a lot of warm air through the unit in an attempt to cool it, then cold air starts to come from the vents and the fan and the air flow slows. As the car gets toward the desired temperature the fan may be slow enough to be barely heard.

Under manual control the fans do as you set.
    UFO likes this.

Tadpole

Yes, it always is in auto mode. The problem is that this has only become a problem this summer. Past summers I don't recall the A/C taking as long to cool down the car. I believe something has changed but I guess that I can't be certain that it has. Will try manual to see if there is a difference.
    Johnbouy

maybe a faulty temp sensor either internal or external
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    2006 C6
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    1976 Mercedes 206D

Fellow Frogger!

My 407 V6 petrol a/c does the same on auto so I just have the fan on "two" and it is no longer a problem. In fact when it gets too cold I put the a/c control back onto auto and it keeps the temp (I set both sides on 23) as it should.
    FLASH

Tadpole

Ok an update. I have put it on manual, set to recirculate, set both side temps to 15, fan speed high. Still has the same problem. It will blow warm air for between 3 and 5 mins. It does the same thing with external air as opposed to recirculate as well as on auto. Balki: The Peugeot dealer service has had it on diagnostics and pressures are all ok, no error codes etc. They say there is nothing wrong with it. I know that it is not performing as it used to as it delivered cool/cold air almost as soon as it was turned on in the past. Something has changed and the dealer cannot seem to find anything wrong.

Can anyone recommend a good a/c mechanic who understands Peugeot in Sydney? I need to go down there later in Jan so I can get someone who understands the French temprement to look at her.
    Johnbouy

1000+ Posts

Just as a general note - I am pretty certain that a temperature sensor could be faulty without tripping any error conditions or recording any codes - as long as the sensor provides some data, the computer assumes all is well...

Not as clever as we'd like to think, but there you go!

Cheers

Alec

UFO

FWIW, my C5 X7 does similar on a really hot day when driving slowly around town. It seems to be that once the engine is turning fast enough the system decides "OK, we can activate the AC compressor now". Within seconds there is cool.

Tadpole

Well it seems that the problem may have been found! I decided to take the car to a Sydney dealer last week when I took my granddaughter home. They found that the A/C coolant pressure was bouncing around (previous Newcastle dealer didn't see that). To make a long story short the engine coolant system was buggered. Both rad fans burned out and coolant leaking slowly from hoses. Explains why I was getting intermittent too hot stop now messages and why the temp gauge was rising when stopped at lights but going back down once moving again. The A/C system is tightly coupled with the engine cooling system (via temp sensors) and they think it will come good once the cooling system is repaired. I guess it pays to have the car serviced by people who REALLY know the French temperament;-))
    Armidillo, BIGRR and dhaw like this.
    Johnbouy

1000+ Posts

Actually working radiator cooling fans are essential for all cars (and all air conditioners). The Newcastle guys just sound incompetent - cooling fans should be running at low speed as soon as air con is switched on - an alert mechanic would pick up failed fans very quickly.

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

I am in agreement about the Newcastle repair people. The final wash up was that the two fans were dead! The rad has a pinhole leak and one coolant hose was about to go boom. They replaced all those and the rad overflow resevoir because they deteriorate. I now have a 407 that runs on 90 degrees and has airconditioning! All is well in the Pug universe.
    Johnbouy

Cost?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Thanks for updating us and good to hear your machine is AOK again.

Thread Information