AL4 Solenoids change - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: AL4 Solenoids change

Quote Originally Posted by Khman View Post
    OK I should have time do it before the end of the month.
    Before the full change of oil, I'll need to top-up as I've dropped some last time when I changed solenoids and I'll drop some more when I'll do it.

Advertisement

do you know a cheap transmission fluid that can do the trick just the time to test everything? A full change will be done when everything else is checked / fixed.
    Check the crowd in Rosewood QLD on Gumtree they have the last 1lt of Transmission oil but haven't had time to check it's correct grade for AL4.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Check the crowd in Rosewood QLD on Gumtree they have the last 1lt of Transmission oil but haven't had time to check it's correct grade for AL4.

Thanks for the tip.
    I check and it seems they only have PN 9730.A2 which is for the 6-speed.
    For the AL4, the PN is 9736.22 - any one feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

I hope tomorrow, I'll have time to go to Peugeot Nambour. 1l of transmission fluid for little less than $15 and then I'll need time to check the filter and top-up

So I don't have the transmission fluid yet, but I've started to work on the car.

As the car also have an output speed sensor defect, I have started to remove few part to have a look at it before opening the transmission.
    The speed sensor itself was changed two years ago so I'll assume it's good. Then the defect - if any - should be on the wiring or on the ECU.
    The only thing I've found so far is some yellow fluid/grease on the big grey plug as per the photo. Can anyone tell me if it's good or bad? I haven't found it on the other side of the wiring.

AL4 Solenoids change-img_4600.jpg

Looks like coolant. Is you tank low? Maybe it's been there for a while trapped in the crazy Grey plug that is supposed to be water proof!

No coolant in this area AFAIK and I can only see it inside the plug.
    I had a small coolant leak close to the radiator last year which is fixed now.
    I also had to change the brake master cylinder and booster last year but brake fluid was leaking inside the car not in the engine bay.

The wiring harness looks good so far as well as the plug on the ECU and the ECU itself. This evening, I'll try to see if there's an electrical glitch on the harness as the speed sensor default is not permanent.

No electrical glitch on the harness. I've remove the corrugated tubes between the grey plug and the ECU plug and shaken it all the way I could and the electrical resistance never changed.
    So I don't know what's the issue with the output speed sensor ??

I went this morning to the Peugeot dealer in Nambour...
    Over the phone this week, I was told $14.5 for 1 liter of transmission fluid for an AL4 for a 2003 Peugeot 307 - fair price.
    And this morning, the guy told me $43 for 1 liter !!! after few minutes of talk, I told him I will never buy it at that price and just left....... Same guy can't multiply the price by 3 in couple of days. I'll call Peugeot Brisbane next week and record the call to show them if they decide to change prices the same way. Anyway, just spent the day in Kondalilla National Park and forgot about Nambour...

So this Sunday, I'll remove the filter and clean the valve body but after that I think I'll be too low on oil to check if the car is going well or not.

It's probably worth changing the speed sensor. They do fail in an intermittent all or nothing fashion as described. Maybe you jast have a bad one.

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    It's probably worth changing the speed sensor. They do fail in an intermittent all or nothing fashion as described. Maybe you jast have a bad one.
    On the transmission, I have 3 different issues: output speed sensor, pressure regulation and no converter lock-up.
    I was thinking that if I found nothing for the speed sensor,the pressure or the converter, maybe the issue is the ECU ?

Would it worth it to found a used ECU from a wrecker or something like that ? I'm just exploring all possibilities and this would be one of the last ones.

Did you track down some top up oil yet. $43 is ridiculous.

Did you track down some top up oil yet. $43 is ridiculous.

Yes but not the usual way. Peugeot Brisbane has the same price than in Nambour...
    Nearly every weekend, my mother in law goes to garage sales and I'm mostly the driver in case she buys something heavy. Yesterday, we went to several garage sales in Deception Bay and I found a sealed bottle of ATF for AL4/DPO for just $2... Bottled in 2013, but still sealed so I assumed good and used it to top-up the transmission this morning.
    By the way, on the bottle, there's a warning to use the ATF within 6 years of manufacturing date. Led me to think: if a brand new ATF in sealed OEM container as a life-time of 6 years, how come the ATF used on a transmission has an unlimited life time (sealed for life right)?

Anyway, took the car for a drive this morning and problem still here. After 4 km, transmission went into limp mode.
    So I would think the pressure issue can come from:
    - oil pressure sensor - as in this thread Another AL4 victim - Looks like an easy fix
    - Oil pump: seems to be inside the transmission, so out of my reach
    - ECU: easy to change but maybe expensive to source ?

Any other ideas or reason for pressure issues in the transmission?
    My wife starts to be bored with the car sitting in the garage or on the front yard and still not fixed...and so do I...

I replaced mine that had all the insulation worn off thinking that was the issue. .no difference what so ever. Did you clean the valve block?.

Good deal on the oil. Shelf life is just something every manufacturer needs advise. You're right its sits in the gearbox longer than 6 years according to PSA

Fellow Frogger!

So what should be my next step before I changed fluid transmission ?
    Well you asked. Next step, remove the trans and fit friction and piston kits and two new bands and that'll fix it for sure.

Which electro valves did you replace, you should have fitted both the EMV & Lu, they should have come as a pair. Did you check the connections before closing the box?. Appears the Lu ain't workin". Oil presure sensor may be faulty, may not. Easy to check.

About all this pressure stuff.
    The reference pres is just that [reference] The operating pressure in all positions should be within 10% of that particular reference.
    If the convertor pres in park is 10% above the reference, then the convertor is pregnant. That's it and good luck.
    PS -There is nothing wrong with Penrite oil.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Well you asked. Next step, remove the trans and fit friction and piston kits and two new bands and that'll fix it for sure.
    Aim of all this is to to fix - or at least to try - the transmission as cheap as possible. The car worth less than the overhaul of the transmission...and I don't have tools and knowledge to remove the trans.

Which electro valves did you replace, you should have fitted both the EMV & Lu, they should have come as a pair. Did you check the connections before closing the box?. Appears the Lu ain't workin". Oil presure sensor may be faulty, may not. Easy to check.
    I changed both solenoids the first time. This time, I've cleaned the valve body,control circuit filter and converter anti drain valve, swap solenoids. I've check wires between the grey plug and the ECU and they're good.
    No change so far on the first 15km. I'll drive the car to work today to see, who knows?

How to check the pressure sensor?

About all this pressure stuff.
    The reference pres is just that [reference] The operating pressure in all positions should be within 10% of that particular reference.
    If the convertor pres in park is 10% above the reference, then the convertor is pregnant. That's it and good luck.
    PS -There is nothing wrong with Penrite oil.
    I don't remember all values for pressure but it was quite never close to the reference and never stable. and that was after the first change of solenoids.

Lots of people advise me not to mix ATF. When reading thread from everywhere in the world, some people had no issue with non OEM ATF, some had. So far, I prefer to stick with the OEM one as I don't want to add another variable in the problem.

Khman you could check if the wiring from the sensor to the Grey plug has not deteriorated as this may cause the within spec reading but fluctuating. Otherwise I'm stumped.
    Shanadoo has a new spare or I can grab the one off the spare petrol box I have but I'm wheeless at

Khman I have a pressure sensor that you can use to see if your one is dodgy. You wiĺl need to pickup next time you're on the coast.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

After driving 1 week, it seems things are just a little bit better.
    When driving in city, no change at all. Transmission goes into limp mode 2 times on the first 2-3 km then seems OK.
    When going/coming back to work, transmission goes into limp mode 1 time before the highway, then no more. Before was going into limp mode at least 2 times before the highway, and sometimes just before arriving.
    However, shifting is still not smooth wherever I drive.

I will have a closer look at the pressure sensor next week.

Fellow Frogger!

After driving 1 week, it seems things are just a little bit better.
    When driving in city, no change at all. Transmission goes into limp mode 2 times on the first 2-3 km then seems OK.
    When going/coming back to work, transmission goes into limp mode 1 time before the highway, then no more. Before was going into limp mode at least 2 times before the highway, and sometimes just before arriving.
    However, shifting is still not smooth wherever I drive.

I will have a closer look at the pressure sensor next week.
    I reckon that box needs overhaul. The longer you drive it the greater the chance of reducing it to a very expensive exercise or scrap value.

I reckon that box needs overhaul. The longer you drive it the greater the chance of reducing it to a very expensive exercise or scrap value.
    In August last year, I went to see several used car dealers around Morayfield and Strathpine to sell the car without trade-in. Only one gave me price for the car, all other declined it (even the one who advertise for cheap cars under $3000). And the guy gave me only $800, without test driving the car or knowing about its issues, just because it's a Peugeot and it's more difficult to sell compare to Nissan, Toyota...
    So anyway, the car is already closed to its scrap value, hence the reason I try to fix it myself.

If the pressure sensor doesn't fix it, I will not attempt any further fix. I'll seek another car for my wife and trade-in the Peugeot for whatever the price they give or sell it unrego on Gumtree.

Khman just want to know if you can feel the converter lock kick in now? You should notice if you drive it manually say in 2nd and around 60km/h you will feel a sort of gear change.
    As shanadoo stripped down 2 of my AL4s boxes last week I now understand that pressure difference is more likely a internal piston leaking causing the problems and temporary slipping will be very worn or deformed clutches. Once mine is overhauled with new pistons, brake bands and clutches this will have eliminated all the issues as long as the valve block performs as it should!

Last edited by dimistyle; 12th March 2017 at 12:21 PM.

Khman just want to know if you can feel the converter lock kick in now? You should notice if you drive it manually say in 2nd and around 60km/h you will feel a sort of gear change.
    As shanadoo stripped down 2 of my AL4s boxes last week I know understand that pressure difference is more likely a internal piston leaking causing the problems and temporary slipping will be very worn or deformed clutches. Once mine is overhauled with new pistons, brake bands and clutches this will have eliminated all the issues as long as the valve block performs as it should!

No can't really feel it as the transmission behave the same as before.

Overhauling the transmission will be too expensive for us for this car. My wife would definitely disagree on it even if she likes the car.

Hi Mates,

An update on the car: I sold it as is for $1,100.
    I put an ad on the car to sell it, a guy asked me about the issues on the car as I selling "As is". I explained him, he just looked at the engine and listen to it. Few hours later, he called me back to buy the car without negotiating the price and without test driving it !!

So no more trouble on the car for me.

Thanks to all of you who helped me go through the wonderful AL4. I learned a lot about transmission.

Cheers
    dimistyle likes this.

Doublepost

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information