• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcc236

Thread: 307 Air conditioner

Tadpole

Default 307 Air conditioner

2001 Peugeot 307 hatchback.

Hi my name is Jill and I have the above car and absolutely love it but the air con isn't working. If you touch the bits under the bonnet it is very coldso we have ruled out gas. The problem is most times it doesn't blow air into the car. Sometimes it will work but it is very rare and in this weather I need it going. Can anyone help please. Someone suggested it could be the actuator?. I cant afford to take it to the professionals to fix it but I have a friend who may be able. Many thanks in advance. Jill

Advertisement

Sent from my MID-744 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Jill, is the problem that the air blows out the vents but isn't cold, or that air doesn't blow out the vents?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

I think from Jill's 3rd sentence that the problem is cabin blower fan - a well known problem in Xantias!

Fellow Frogger!

If the 307 air cond system is similar to the 407's, replace the cabin filter. It made a huge difference in both our 407's. They were that badly clogged with dust and rubbish there was no cool air flowing through them.

If it is the blower fan that is faulty, it is a devil of a job to replace.
    Armidillo likes this.

1000+ Posts

This is the heater unit in the Citroen C4. I think it is similar to the 307 (someone please correct if it isn't). The fan motor and resistor are shown, hidden up behind the glove box. The cabin filter door is under the bonnet.
    307 Air conditioner-c4-heater.jpg

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I think from Jill's 3rd sentence that the problem is cabin blower fan - a well known problem in Xantias!
    Yeah, that's the way I read it, but was just checking because of the reference to checking the cold bits under the bonnet and gas, suggesting maybe the air isn't cold.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Thank you everyone but we have replaced the cabin filter and the pipes under the bonnet get very cold suggesting that the gas is right. Sometimes the air con will work a bit then other times not at all. It seems to not always blow air through the vents then other times it will. We have no one in our town who works on these or knows anything about them

Sent from my MID-744 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

It does sound like it could be the actuator. This is just a servo motor that controls the flaps that direct hot and cold air from the aircon & heating. They do break, but you can get the part quite cheap second hand off eBay. The problem is I think it's quite hard to get to on a 307 as per seasink's pic....behind the glovebox. See #17 on the pic. The French description is spot on.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Sometimes the air con will work a bit then other times not at all. It seems to not always blow air through the vents then other times it will.
    Jill it sounds as if the problem is with the cabin fan. This lives under the glove-box - it shouldn't be too hard to remove the covers below the glove-box and reveal it. Worth checking the connectors and the wiring - are the plugs fully plugged in? Is everything in good condition, or are the plugs (& possibly wiring) looking blackened or melted? Here's a link to a discussion in another forum, & a couple of hopefully useful youtube clips...

A/C fan erratic operation, Peugeot 307
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbSwRwXqFp0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpY2xJz3MYg

While you might get more help if you had a Peugeot 504/505 or a Citroen DS, a number of people on this forum are familiar with the 307. The lack of much advice on offer is probably a sign that these sort of problems are not too common in the 307.

Cheers

Alec

May also be something simple?

On our 206 did all the expensive things like a regas etc.

Problem turned out to be a faulty aircon Off/on switch on the dashboard. Had to install (that is - our mechanic did) a secondhand console section from the wreckers. Works fine now.

You most probably have a burnt earth pin in the fan circuit

Fellow Frogger!

Son has an early 307 that recently had a poor flow through the centre vents, get a torch and check whether there is dislodged foam in behind the vents as I found in son,s car. through flow has improved. It also had a problem with the large connector under the glovebox which caused the air to sometimes not work.

Thread Information