307 steering rack removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 steering rack removal

Hi, does anyone have knowledge of or experience with rack removal and replacement? My 307
    is an '04 but apparently little or no difference with later ones.

Advertisement

Thanks

Hi Kelpiebat. I replaced the clutch in our 307. To cut a long story short the Subframe had to be removed which the steering rack is fitted. I don't think there is any other way to get to it. but others may know. What do you think is wrong with it to need removal. I had play in mine and new inner tie rods fixed it. If you do go down the removal path, I have a link with step by step instructions and photos to do the job, although it was for a clutch change.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks lockwood116. You are right to question the reason because the word is they are very robust but in this case the previous owner appears to explored unknown territory in the car and both protective boots are torn and no longer attached to the rack with the left 1 looking to have been allowing dust entry for a long time and the seal (ceramic, I'm told) is leaking profusely. The difficulty for removal is in finding the room to clear the shaft that attaches to the steering column, which required the lowering of the sub-frame by around 60mm. It is out now and the hunt is on for a good replacement.

Thread Information