Help - 306 Heating/Air Conditioner issue
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Help - 306 Heating/Air Conditioner issue

Hey all,

I've had a quick read on the forums for similar issues and found some possible answers, but I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks around here could give a more definitive answer before ripping into the dash.

The car:
    1994 306 S16

The problem: Regardless over whether I try to cool the car in summer or heat it in winter, it always seems to blow air at whatever the ambient temperature happens to be at the time. The cabin fans work at all settings, the AC fans come on when switched on and engine idle adjusts accordingly. I've had the AC checked and re-gassed, but that didn't seem to help. As for the heater, both the hoses for the heater matrix get hot when the vehicle is running, so I guess it isn't blocked. All relevant fuses have been checked.

Advertisement

Thoughts: Most seem to suggest it is most likely one of two things - either the HVAC panel is broken or a small motor which controls the mixture of the hot and cold air has failed (I haven't been able to find any pictures or write-ups about this, so I'm not sure if my car even has one). If someone could point me down the right path, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!
    Present - 1994 Peugeot 306 S16

It would probably be worth plugging it in to PP2000 to check that the temp sensors on the unit are working. (I'm assuming it's climate control)
    I saw one with a failed sensor on the heater core and it would only blow full hot or full cold.
    I know multiple temp sensor failures would be realy unusual, but you never know.

Could well be the small motor which controls the flap. They are a very common failure problem.
    It's mounted on the driver's side of the heater. A small rectangular unit which is approximately level with the clutch pedal.
    You normally find that the teeth on the gears inside have sheared off.

cheers
    Roland
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    It would probably be worth plugging it in to PP2000 to check that the temp sensors on the unit are working. (I'm assuming it's climate control)
    Yeah, it does have climate control. I have access to PP2000, but was unaware that this could be tested via software. Does it require specialized equipment? I'll have a look into it. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Could well be the small motor which controls the flap. They are a very common failure problem.
    It's mounted on the driver's side of the heater. A small rectangular unit which is approximately level with the clutch pedal.
    You normally find that the teeth on the gears inside have sheared off.
    Ah, I was wondering where it could be found. I've previously had a quick look around the passenger side, under the glove box. The Haynes manual didn't seem to give an indication. I'll check it out and see what the story is.

Thanks fellas!
    Present - 1994 Peugeot 306 S16

Thread Information