Where to source this locknut?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen

Thread: Where to source this locknut?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Where to source this locknut?

I can't find the old one anywhere and the Haynes suggests that you need a new one anyway. I need something urgently that would hold the steering ball joint in place for the move. Would another nut fit for a temporary hold that I could source locally and quickly? If so does anyone know what size/type it is? (4 in diagram) series 1 205 Gti

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

just get a nyloc nut from the nearest store.

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    I can't find the old one anywhere and the Haynes suggests that you need a new one anyway. I need something urgently that would hold the steering ball joint in place for the move. Would another nut fit for a temporary hold that I could source locally and quickly? If so does anyone know what size/type it is? (4 in diagram) series 1 205 Gti
    any hardware or auto parts shop you just need a nyloc nut, just measure the ball joint thread, a rough guess 10 mmm

Fellow Frogger!

Are the threads standard?

Metric threads ARE standard. The one you're looking for might be a 1mm pitch (10mm come in 1.5, 1.25 and 1 pitch).

For just pushing a car about you don't need a lock nut. A normal nut will do because the tie rod end studs are tapered, so don't do it up too tight if you want to undo the tie rods again after moving.
    MayheM likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

The only reason I asked was I found what I thought was a 10mm nut in the bit's and pieces container which fit onto the end of the thread but would not engage like the threads were different.

1000+ Posts

Always a lucky dip when you root around in old nut and bolt collections. There are many standards. BSW, BSF, UNC, UNF, and M series from vehicles are all likely to be mixed there, not to mention pipe threads. Pugs use M series metric.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks seasink that's what I thought I needed but wasn't sure about the different standards so an M10 it is.

It's M10x1.25, which is fine. M10x1.5 is regular coarse. M10x1.0 is extra fine and found on brake lines for example. You may struggle to find an M10x1.25 at Bunnings.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Awesome thanks Peter. We have a Konnect shop and good old BBF which used to be called Banks Bolts so hopefully either one has the 1.25. The one I tried at home must have been the 1.5.

Pic-a-part?

Same tie rod ends on, 404,504,505,405 etc.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

Ended up being the thread on the tie rod arm being buggered. It was just out enough to look ok from further away but after cleaning I can see the damage. I have managed to get a nut on enough to keep in in place whilst moving it and have secured the tie rod to the hub with wire as well wrapped nicely together. Seems to work fine until I get new tie rods. I might as well look at trying to get hold of an Si rack and get power steering going as well eventually. Do the Si racks use the same tie rods if I buy new ones?

Thread Information