• 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By Wildebeest
  • 1 Post By broomy
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 3 Post By Wildebeest

Thread: problem with ba7/5 tranny

Fellow Frogger!

Default problem with ba7/5 tranny

I removed the tranny from the car in a vertical position (with a hoist and a rope under the bell housing) and all the oil spilled from the rear shaft. Does it mean the oil seal needs replacing, or it's just not meant to seal in this situation?

If I'm looking at a new seal, is it possible to remove and install it without removing the rear case?
    And if the case needs removing, any tips for doing that? Maybe replace at the same time the infamous bearing? ( I put the tranny back in, and left the link tube disconnected)
    thanks

Advertisement

If you did not have the prop (propellor) shaft in place, the oil would have leaked out. It does not mean you need a new oil seal.

But as they are quite cheap, I would recommend replacement. And yes....replace the infamous 5th gear roller bearing.

All possible by only removing the rear part of the case.
    2pac likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm trying to understand how it's built.
    can you confirm that the bearing is the one marked in red arrow, and the output shaft is the one with yellow arrow?
    problem with ba7/5 tranny-big-4686603f06.jpg

and in the parts catalogue, i suppose the bearing is the one circled in red?
    and the blue shaft is the extension of the yellow shaft?
    problem with ba7/5 tranny-untitled.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails problem with ba7/5 tranny-untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by 2pac; 19th November 2016 at 07:59 PM.

If that is a BA7/5 gearbox, that bearing you pictured is definitely not the one which gives problems.

That one is a needle roller bearing. It is for the 5th gear.

I've only seen inside the extension housing of these boxes a couple of times, so I'm no expert, but it is definitely a different bearing.

Have you seen this thread ? BA7 or BA10?
    Last edited by Beano; 19th November 2016 at 09:01 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm looking at this thread and it confirms me.
    BA7/5 bearings

the bearing in the pictures is definitely a roller bearing, not needle bearing.

I just saw this thread, I will give you the info tomorrow ,its my bed time. In the meantime Scotty will probably give you what you need, most off these are easy to find.Fitting can be a bit tricky.in places but not hard.

It seems I was wrong.

A mechanic friend showed me the bearing from my gearbox and from memory it was a needle roller bearing. That was 10 years ago.

OK, I'll encl a bearing list,is a jpg so should work,I'll try to att some relevant pics,mainly to do with the 5th gear.All the bearings I used were non genuine bar one - which I stuffed up,so with care you won't need that one,mine came thru' the wonderful Genuine parts system cost A$150 abouts. -- Robbery!
    I kept pics of gearbox o/haul but I will put the relevant ones on today,the Haynes ones are crap.There are a couple of traps, main one is when refitting the rear cover ,coat the the rear roller bearing[that's the $150 one with grease so no rollers "cock" out otherwise you knock one out of that brass cage on assembly -everthing gets bent etc,too risky to reuse IMO.
    When refitting rear cover use soft or rubber hammer-gently - the hole with plastic plug over the %th gear bearing is NOT concentric with the gear and bearing so don't use it as an aligning aid.

Default adding to post

something went wrong ,big brother told me I wasn't logged on which I was,anyow I'll add some picks,a fair proportion of my post has gone so I'll wing it.problem with ba7/5 tranny-pulling-5th-gear.jpgproblem with ba7/5 tranny-5th-gear-syncro-parts.jpgproblem with ba7/5 tranny-5th-gear-components.jpgproblem with ba7/5 tranny-mainshaft5.jpgproblem with ba7/5 tranny-rear-cover.jpg Picture 4 is not my gearbox ,this what can happen,looking at pic 1, the bearing for 5th gear is upper left,if you have a puller,remove and replace this bearing and reassemble if you wish ,Part Number is #*5th gear inter shaft brg 10q.630/22.a.f386 SNR 38x20x12 roller brg seal 1 side only , My listing is txt this site cannot load it,the rest I have if you need them.
    If you wish to pull 5th syncro out let me know as they need to be matched to markings plus it can be assembled upside down ,it will work but jumped out on over run etc.
    Last edited by broomy; 20th November 2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: ad info

Pic 1 is pulling 5th gear brg on output shaft Pic2 is 5th gear selector and part of synchronizer Pic 3 is 5th gear brg spacer and shim plus syncro hub nearest to camera Pic 4 is a failure of Ist motion brg in a 5sp box -not mine very common. Pic 5 is Rear cover on right ,5th speed brg top left on gearbox.
    Hope this gives an idea of layout.

Fellow Frogger!

hi, thanks.
    so for the bottom line- the problematic bearing which makes noise and could ruin the tranny if neglected etc. is the one circled in red, (but it's 56X20X16 and not 38x20x12 as you wrote), and the one in yellow is the output shaft bearing :

problem with ba7/5 tranny-91098d1479611272-problem-ba7-5-tranny-pulling-5th-gear.jpg

now when you put the new one back in, do you install it over the shaft or in its recess in the rear cover?

Its possible I got the wrong size off the packet,I had no genuine number,only SNR non genuine. It as over 3 years ago,but I'll dig out a bearing tomorrow and measure it if you can bear with me.I've been wrong before.

To All,
    All good advice I'm sure but, did anyone else notice the filthy condition of the box before cover was removed?
    For your god's sake cleanliness before disassembly is paramount!
    cjl likes this.

Matey,you display an admiral amount of ignorance about Peugeots generally ,that fifth is undercoat sprayed on about 30 years ago..You are probably one of the adventurous types who pull things to bits ,wash it store it , post 2000 posts, THEN find 2 years later you have forgotten where it all goes,and its a load of rusty bits.
    You are one of the ramp captains that pissed me off years ago.
    If you have nothing to do except snipe,join a bowls club -- I'm trying to help this bloke naff off baz
    Wildebeest likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Guys, no need to fight, that was NOT my box, THIS is mine:
    problem with ba7/5 tranny-image.jpg

I got already an identical NSR bearing and a new oil seal. To tell the truth, I don't see that anything is bad with the old bearing, but just in case.
    The only issue is should I put the bearing over the shaft or in its recess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails problem with ba7/5 tranny-image.jpg  

"bearing over the shaft" 1st, that way you can see that the bearing is hard against the shaft shoulder.
    2pac likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Checked the bearing size today,I was wrong on the size, Part number correct,but that doesn't let me off the hook.I'm very sorry for that.
    As to fit bearing with cover off ,I can't help as that box was bought Second Hand 30 years old from a reliable person but with 200K+ I didn't want to risk it so pulled the rear cover to look at the most likely failure place,it looked, good but I still decided to check first motion spigot bearing,it was usable,but I replaced it and the ones that were the hardest working.Plus as there was apparent gear oil in the torque tube so replaced gearbox seals and diff seals too.
    Scotty would be the man to consult I feel,I have an idea he's done it. But the bearing in question was tight on the shaft AIR
    For those who showed concern for the gearbox condition,I'll att a pic finished.and thank you for your interest.problem with ba7/5 tranny-gearbox-fini-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by broomy View Post
    Matey,you display an admiral amount of ignorance about Peugeots generally ,that fifth is undercoat sprayed on about 30 years ago..You are probably one of the adventurous types who pull things to bits ,wash it store it , post 2000 posts, THEN find 2 years later you have forgotten where it all goes,and its a load of rusty bits.
    You are one of the ramp captains that pissed me off years ago.
    If you have nothing to do except snipe,join a bowls club -- I'm trying to help this bloke naff off baz
    "Matey" eh? That along with your further use of "admiral and captain". Have you a nautical background?

Now at 75 years of age and a goodly total of those spent 'in the trade' I think I can distinguish the difference between Proofcote and the accumulation of a few years crap. 2pac has later explained that the gearbox in the picture wasn't the one I remarked on. So that should be an end to that.

So far as being adventurous and pulling things apart, washing and storing, never. I would prefer to put things, as complete units away oily/dirty and covered, only cleaning them when required.

"Ramp captains", Now if you mean officious inspectors etc. I've never had any time for them either, knocking back an MOT inspectors job while in the UK in the '80's. I told them I didn't want to be a policeman.

As for playing bowls? Come on "Sailor" I'm not old enough!

Wildebeest.
    Beano, cjl and Demannu like this.

Thread Information