406 V6 and 4HP20 auto box concerns.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 V6 and 4HP20 auto box concerns.

Evening all; enquiries to the previous owner about the 'won't drive' auto gave the reason as an oil leak that lasted for approx 18 kms until the box ceased to move the vehicle. Total kms for that box are unknown as it was a used unit fitted about 380,000 k's ago. The plan today was to drain the compartment where the dipstick lives then add 1-2 lts more of new oil and test to see if it would drive and to then look for the leak. The 2.2 lts of oil wasn't too dark but smelt rather burnt and contained a dose of ferrous filings, so I'd figure that the torque converter will need attention and what else is probably in the lap of the gods.
    Does anyone know a fairly accurate figure as to how much oil should have drained had the box not had its leak to atmosphere, and hot exhaust, on the day it ceased to perform.? My desire is to get the car back on the road without over-capitalizing on repairs. Any ideas, or good knowledge, that may help. Perhaps some one has an old dead 4HP20 that needs a new home and could provide some necessary bits.

Advertisement

Thanks to all. Cheers

1000+ Posts

Fellow Frogger!

Morning seasink,
    Thanks for the very informative info links. Have scratched the surface a bit on researching the 4HP20 box and am finding that in some instances they give good service which is not what the word in 'Peugeot world' is. Many of those Fiat based Ducato motor homes had the original manual replaced with 4HP20's and I'm yet to hear of a failure, let alone the low k 406 g'box destructions. The lowest of which is 114k in a car owned by a Peug mechanic who, I would hope, had serviced it at the 60k figure mentioned in the new car 'owners guide.' And then there is mine that does 380k + before leaking itself to death.
    Thanks Paddy

Thread Information