308 first gear "thud"
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 308 first gear "thud"

We have a 2008 308 Peugeot diesel 1.6 hdi 6 speed tiptronic gearbox box. Car has done around 80,000 klm. We are very happy with it EXCEPT that when taking off from a stand still there is a thud prior to moving off. When the car is cold it is hardly noticeable, however when normal running temp has been achieved it is very noticeable and annoying. All other gear changes are very smooth. Sometimes the problem also occurs when taking off in reverse. To date we have changed the gearbox oil and also installed a new top engine mount neither which made any difference. Any suggestions or clues as to the cause? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

1.6 diesels don't come as automatics. The 2.0 litre diesel does however. These autos go into neutral when stationary in drive and depending on how heavily you hit the accelerator they change back into drive to take off. Does it still thud if you allow more time between lifting off the brake pedal before you accelerate? Worth a try before other checks.

Tadpole

Hello geedee, thank you for taking the time to reply, The gearbox is not an automatic but is a Tiptronic. "A Tiptronic transmission is an automated manual transmission that includes an option to switch out of automatic mode and upshift and downshift using paddles behind the steering wheel or the gear lever itself". I have tried your suggestion with no joy. The car appears to go into neutral when stationary and the engage when you accelerate. Having said that I am not certain as the indicator says that it is in 1st gear? Thanks anyway.

1000+ Posts

I think there is some terminology misunderstanding here. In my brochure "Tiptronic" refers to the 6 speed auto box on the top-of-range turbo petrol models. Some of the 1.6 diesels had the 6 speed EGC box with the well-known paddles at the steering wheel. It has automatic and sequential changing modes.

Is this about a thud when the EGC takes off?

Tadpole

Hello seasink, thank you for your input. Yes I believe that you are correct the gear box is an EGC. I have used the wrong terminology. Thanks for the education. ..... and yes it is as you say. The "thud" only occurs just as you take off in first gear and is only noticeable after the vehicle has reached normal running temperature.
    Last edited by tonimbuk; 18th November 2016 at 09:10 PM.

Thread Information