AL4 post service blues
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: AL4 post service blues

  1. #1
    Mjb
    Mjb is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5

    Default AL4 post service blues

    Hi all desperately looking for some advice with a 308sw (2008 110k) with auto problems. Was getting limp mode problems when the car was cold, I think when going from third to fourth. Restarting the car would make the problem go away for the rest of the day.
    Mechanic charged me over $800 to replace two solinoids . For the next four days the car drove the best it ever has, even the shudder problem going up steep hills was gone.
    But on the fifth day the car has started flaring badly when changing from first to second. The revs go up about 500rpm when changing, which isnt too bad when accelerating slowly and the shift happens at around 2200rpm but terible at say 3000rpm. Eitherway there are no errors.
    So, the mechanic says it's my fault and the gearbox needs a $4k overhaul. Ive research a million posts but it's hard to find a similar situation. The closest was a guy with the same behaviour which was because of temp sensor on the harness but the mechanic said the diag shows correct temps. That said Im not so sure about my mechanic.
    My thinking is that one of the new solinoids is dodgy or the software isnt right.

    Advertisement


    Can anyone suggest what I should do or try?

    Thanks
    MJB

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mangonui NZ
    Posts
    82

    Default

    have a look at my note '207 "knock/ rattle". May not be the same, but certainly I was going down the track of wondering if the box was sticking......now very positive & quick clean changing without "knock"......& all the diagnostics said there were NO faults. My daughter worked a service unit in UK for hyundai & reckons they forever had "no fault" diagnosis for customer complaints! perhaps in my case the 3 PSA "upgrades" knowingly fixed my problem but they dont want to publicly admit it. They are a practical small garage & also prescribed hard running regularly to shake the cobwebs & that replacement solenoids seemed "smoother" than originals. Im not much help...hang in there!

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Pug72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Which mechanic did you use? Try Jim Reddiex at Euroserv. He has a lot of experience with the AL4.

  4. #4
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,216

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Which mechanic did you use? Try Jim Reddiex at Euroserv. He has a lot of experience with the AL4.
    That would be Ian Reddiex, Jim is enjoying well earned retirement

    Before getting too far down the replacement box route I suggest another oil change (presuming the oil was changed when the new solenoids were replaced). To fully change the oil you may need 3 changes to clear the old oil. The correct oil is critical to these boxes, consensus here is that Penrite FS ATF is suitable and has proven to be the case with our AL4.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Roland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    727

    Default

    308s didn't have the AL4 gearbox as far as I know.

    They would have the Aisin AM6 6 speed gearbox.

    This is a far more reliable gearbox than the AL4!

    Both my 307s have the Aisin AM6 box and they are older than your 308.

    It may be that the wrong oil was used when you had the solenoids changed.

    Log into the Peugeot Service website and check on what is fitted to your car.

    Peugeot Service Box



    (or PM me the VIN number and I can look it up for you.)
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb View Post
    Hi all desperately looking for some advice with a 308sw (2008 110k) with auto problems. Was getting limp mode problems when the car was cold, I think when going from third to fourth. Restarting the car would make the problem go away for the rest of the day.
    Mechanic charged me over $800 to replace two solinoids . For the next four days the car drove the best it ever has, even the shudder problem going up steep hills was gone.
    But on the fifth day the car has started flaring badly when changing from first to second. The revs go up about 500rpm when changing, which isnt too bad when accelerating slowly and the shift happens at around 2200rpm but terible at say 3000rpm. Eitherway there are no errors.
    So, the mechanic says it's my fault and the gearbox needs a $4k overhaul. Ive research a million posts but it's hard to find a similar situation. The closest was a guy with the same behaviour which was because of temp sensor on the harness but the mechanic said the diag shows correct temps. That said Im not so sure about my mechanic.
    My thinking is that one of the new solinoids is dodgy or the software isnt right.

    Can anyone suggest what I should do or try?

    Thanks
    MJB
    our 307 goes in next week too replace both solenoids,,, I brought 2 thru ebay at $30 each free postage, they are the upgraded parts... its funny you look at one site on the net you can get them for $10 each if you buy a 100,, even come under the Peugeot part numbers

  7. #7
    Mjb
    Mjb is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hi Roland.

    its definitely a four speed auto.

    i registered for service box and it shows the gearbox valve assembly as T7F 2 25C 01F.

    cheers

  8. #8
    Mjb
    Mjb is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I'm annoyed I didn't have the time to order these in as I'd seen how cheap they were. My mechanic had warned me that these cheap online ones are hopeless or refurbished or blah blah blah. Perhaps the margin for him is serverly cut.

  9. #9
    Mjb
    Mjb is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hi Chris,

    ive read that oil changes are important but how hard is it to do and is oil a likely cause of flaring during gear changes? I'm amazed that the ecu doesn't throw any errors.

    cheers

  10. #10
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb View Post
    Hi Chris,

    ive read that oil changes are important but how hard is it to do and is oil a likely cause of flaring during gear changes? I'm amazed that the ecu doesn't throw any errors.

    cheers
    Much easier the second time, not that difficult if you are organised beforehand. A search should find the correct procedure and required tools.

    As to whether this will solve your problems all I can say is it's worth a shot. If you use Penrite FS ATF it's not a costly exercise. Not uncommon for service centres to only top up after the valve body has been removed to change out the solenoids, so who knows what the condition of the remaining oil is.

    Have a look at the zip file in this post
    Please re-post C5 AL4 transmission refilling guide

    Cheers
    Chris
    dimistyle likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    adelaide
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb View Post
    I'm annoyed I didn't have the time to order these in as I'd seen how cheap they were. My mechanic had warned me that these cheap online ones are hopeless or refurbished or blah blah blah. Perhaps the margin for him is serverly cut.
    its all bullshit my friend,, all the al4 parts are made in china, that's why you can find them there at ALibaba another good site aliexpress,, here's a example SUPER charge battery for your car made in Philippines, EXIDE out off the same factory but they change the label,, a lot off holden parts are coming out off Korea or china

  12. #12
    Mjb
    Mjb is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks Chiris, I'll give that a try but I'm suspicious that the problem happened so soon after changing the solinoids. I had also wondered if it was a programming problem with the ecu after the change. I'd read that you need to update the software after a change.
    cheers

  13. #13
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,216

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjb View Post
    Thanks Chiris, I'll give that a try but I'm suspicious that the problem happened so soon after changing the solinoids. I had also wondered if it was a programming problem with the ecu after the change. I'd read that you need to update the software after a change.
    cheers
    I tend to be a glass half full optimist

    You say the car ran fine for 4 days after the solenoid swap. I can't see how the box destroyed itself on the 5th day

    The software upgrade shouldn't be required on a 2008 car, I certainly didn't need an upgrade on our 2002 C5 and it was running the old style solenoids. With the help of Shanadoo (more the other way around, I mostly looked on) the solenoids were swapped for the new type, oil changed and car road tested. I suspect that whilst under warranty service the software is upgraded as a matter of course. A 2008 car should have the current software version?

    If after an oil change you do experience an improvement, great. . . drive for around 1500k and repeat, If not you really haven't lost much - but much to gain.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •