• 1 Post By SilverGTi_6
  • 1 Post By cam85
  • 1 Post By Anzactuck
  • 1 Post By Thommo_PUG406

Thread: S16 Pod Filter

Tadpole

Default S16 Pod Filter

G'day all,
    After close inspection of the air intake pipes on my S16, I've found some splits and holes in some of them. I'm thinking about ditching the factory intake altogether.
    I've been looking at the best options for pod filter fit up. It appears as though the pod will sit directly in the air stream from the radiator. This is obviously less than ideal. Just curious as to what other S16 owners have done in this space. Pics and advice would be great!

Advertisement

Sent from my C6903 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Yes it will hang down basically where the airbox is. It does pic up hot air when the car is stationary, the other thing you have to be careful about is going through water.

I had a plastic biscuit tin over mine for a while with some of the original piping and some new flexible stuff feeding it. This resulted in some cooler air getting to it. I've actually considered putting the original air box back on. I love the sound with the pod filter but I don't think it really makes any difference performance wise. some careful shielding and ducting could make a difference though.

Tony.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 14th November 2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice Tony.
    Yeah, I've read about being careful of driving through water.
    I also think the performance gain of a pod filter would be negligible. If you can somehow duct cooler air to it and keep the pod protected, it could work okay.
    Might have to muck around with some custom made parts to see what I can come up with.
    Thanks again.

I just checked the gallery and I found I had a picture of the biscuit tin It is long gone but I used to be able to put the lid back on if I needed to, but generally ran it without.

I think Ideally the thing to do would be to put in some sort of partition to stop hot air from the radiator from getting to the general area, and to also run a duct (possibly from the original pickup point, or maybe somewhere in the bumper) to get some cool air in at speed.

I used to have a temp sensor inside the actual filter, the biscuit tin and piping did make a difference when moving, the air temp was only slightly higher than ambient... Sitting at the lights idling however, the air being picked up quickly went to 50deg C!

Tony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S16 Pod Filter-airbox.jpg  
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

Thanks for the picture mate. Do you have any of the rest of the intake setup? Just so I can get an idea on how you done it.
    You're right a about the shielding. I was thinking I could perhaps use the existing mounting points for the air filter box to mount some kind of shield.
    Ducting cool air to it will be the key though!

Thanks

I don't think I have any other pictures, but pretty sure that the piping is in two pieces. I only used the top half which connects to the intake scoop. I then ran the flexible hose from the bottom of that to the tin. I don't remember but it was probably held in place with some duct tape (like the end in the picture).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

I don't think I have any other pictures, but pretty sure that the piping is in two pieces. I only used the top half which connects to the intake scoop. I then ran the flexible hose from the bottom of that to the tin. I don't remember but it was probably held in place with some duct tape (like the end in the picture).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

The piping is in Two pieces.
    I was thinking about how I could use the existing intake scoop and pipe cold air into the pod.
    See what I can come up with.

Thanks mate for the help!

No probs. WIll be interested to see what you come up with

Its been something I've thought about but not done anything (except the original buscuit tin).

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Just stick with the standard stuff. Its designed to work well as it is with the rest of the motor.

Although tempting to modify it the only real gain is noise.

I attached a pod filter to my xsara vts and lost a fair whack of low down grunt and couldnt notice any gain up top.

By all means give it a go, just dont expect any gain. Most probably losses in torque and response.

3A racing Performance filter is what you want. Its 35$ and out performs all the big brands. Ebay
    Last edited by cam85; 16th November 2016 at 12:37 PM.
    Thommo_PUG406 and leithant like this.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I got mine when the airbox got wrecked hitting a tall curb on Mt Victoria (diesel spill on the road)... 12 week wait for the new airbox, so got the pod as a temp fix.... I never put the new airbox in. It wouldn't be too hard to do it though to do a comparison, I've always thought that there was a much bigger difference in performance in winter compared to summer since I had the pod filter... My assumption is that what that means is that the performance in summer is worse than what it was with the original airbox. Not that the performance in winter is better with the pod filter than it was with the original airbox

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

The only reason I was pursuing the pod filter option was because the standard ducting is damaged. As mentioned, I think peugeot have done a good job with the standard ducting and getting cold air to the manifold. I may just end up repairing the ducting and putting a quality high flow filter on the standard air box if the pod isn't viable.
    From what I've been told, the pod will Make more noise than add any real power.
    I'll see what I end up with!
    Thanks again :-)

Correct.

The stardard filter is not a 'low flow' either fwiw.

See how you go with it none the less. Ive always liked tinkering and playing whoch is what its all about at the end of the day.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Tadpole

Thanks Cam,
    That's right, it's all about tinkering and having fun with them. Can be frustrating at times but you get that! It's a really good handling vehicle, very fun to drive. Keen to see what a couple of changes do to its performance.

I have a K&N pod filter on mine as well, replaced for the same reason as you Thommo. Sounds great and they are a cinch to fit. Didn't have an issue with water ingress while I was driving it.

I ran mine without any covers or additional piping, just facing down where the old airbox was.
    Thommo_PUG406 likes this.
    1994 306 S16 Diablo Red
    2007 307 HDI 1.6 Wagon
    2005 Clio 182 F1 #29

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice!
    Did you get the K&N filter kit off ebay? Or did you just buy the filter and fit it to the standard intake piping with no casing as you mentioned?
    What about performance differences?
    Just trying to gain all the info :-)

Dunno about the S16, but the K&N pod on the GTI6 engine sounds absolutely fantastic!

Bugger all power difference, but it was 100% worth it for that roar under full throttle!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

1000+ Posts

k&n ebay, please inform, need one too!
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Dont bother with K and N. There expensive and rate poorer in flow tests against the one I have mentioned above. For 35$ you cant really go wrong.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Ive experimented a fair bit lately. I attached a pod, and just rested it in the air-box with the top open. Nice sound, free revving. That was because I had a spare big $25 pod from some other project.
    Then I pulled the piping all out that ducted the air from the guard into the standard box, and I left just enough pipe to sit under the radiator as a sort of ram-scoop. seemed better than the original guard piping.
    I then got a $50 Pipercross panel filter. I found the part number on the pipercross website and found that on ebay cheaply. Just searching 206 gti + air filter etc brought up some absurd prices.
    Anyway the panel filter worked well, but only when I completely removed the original piping (after 15 years it was getting brittle and it was just generally small in diameter) -and enlarged the hole into the airbox- did I notice a good power delivery compared to standard.
    The bottom of the airbox is fairly low, and theres a well of open air below it pointing to the ground. I plan to make a modification or design some sort of pipe that just extends the airbox down anouther 10 or 20cm.
    You can hear the induction a bit now too, its subtle compared to a pod but its nice.

My point being if its just the piping below the airbox thats broken, just pull it all out and throw it away. If its the piping from the throttle body to the airbox, thats easy enough to replace.

Ive removed some sections of my exhaust though (de-cat, and other), so it's quite possible I just finally allowed the engine to draw the air it can draw. The original intake pipes in areas are smaller than the standard exhaust!
    .....................___............
    ..............___/_] [\ ..........
    .............(O)===(O)..........
    ....Peugeot 206 GTi 180....

1000+ Posts

Thanks Cam, got the recommended item, looks the goods!
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Anzactuck View Post
    Ive experimented a fair bit lately. I attached a pod, and just rested it in the air-box with the top open. Nice sound, free revving. That was because I had a spare big $25 pod from some other project.
    Then I pulled the piping all out that ducted the air from the guard into the standard box, and I left just enough pipe to sit under the radiator as a sort of ram-scoop. seemed better than the original guard piping.
    I then got a $50 Pipercross panel filter. I found the part number on the pipercross website and found that on ebay cheaply. Just searching 206 gti + air filter etc brought up some absurd prices.
    Anyway the panel filter worked well, but only when I completely removed the original piping (after 15 years it was getting brittle and it was just generally small in diameter) -and enlarged the hole into the airbox- did I notice a good power delivery compared to standard.
    The bottom of the airbox is fairly low, and theres a well of open air below it pointing to the ground. I plan to make a modification or design some sort of pipe that just extends the airbox down anouther 10 or 20cm.
    You can hear the induction a bit now too, its subtle compared to a pod but its nice.

My point being if its just the piping below the airbox thats broken, just pull it all out and throw it away. If its the piping from the throttle body to the airbox, thats easy enough to replace.

Ive removed some sections of my exhaust though (de-cat, and other), so it's quite possible I just finally allowed the engine to draw the air it can draw. The original intake pipes in areas are smaller than the standard exhaust!
    Thanks for the response! Do you have any pics of your current set up? A picture is worth a thousand words :-)
    Thanks again!

Wildy55 likes this.

I dont right now but I will take a photo tomorrow afternoon (as long as I remember haha)

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    .....................___............
    ..............___/_] [\ ..........
    .............(O)===(O)..........
    ....Peugeot 206 GTi 180....

Thread Information