Replacement radiator hose and best coolant for 505 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacement radiator hose and best coolant for 505 GTi

The radiator to water pump hose on my 1988 505 GTi gave up the ghost today. Two questions:

- First, any suggestions on where to get a replacement radiator hose. No luck so far in my couple of attempts (French Car Care and a dealer who is - touch wood - getting back to me).

- Second, thoughts on the best coolant. The info I've found so far is confusing and often contradictory.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.

Ingolf

Fellow Frogger!

Someone posted here not long ago that an Econovan top hose fits: P/N CH1727. I grabbed one from eBay and it looks about right, but haven't fitted it yet.

Have fun,

Rob.

Fellow Frogger!

Replacement radiator hose and best coolant for 505 GTi-505_i%2520groupe1_13h01.jpg

do you recognize the hose?

Ingolf,
    I have had over the years quite a number of peugeots and have some conclusions about about the radiator hoses and coolant. Try to get a quality replacement hose from a French manufacturer - don't use other hoses that are not as good.Remove the old hose and clean up the surface of the radiator and the water pump etc. Remember to have the heater line full on when you drain the coolant system and flush the radiator well if it has any muck etc in it. You might have to make a decision as to whether you include in the new radiator fluid Nulon's new antileak Du Pont product because given their age now the radiators might have a few small leaks anyway.
    The new coolant should be a 50% mix of glycol and demineralised water such as in Penrite's new long life premix. I can't recall whether there are valves that need to be closed securely once you have water at that point - it is tool long ago since I owned a GTI! The pressure cap providing that it still creates a seal needs to be put pack on and then retested one day later.
    Thanks John505.

I have a full set of nos radiator hoses if your interested pm me
    Current -
    65' 404 Sedan,
    88' 205 GTI/16V
    92' 505 Custom Turbo Wagon
    92' 205 SI
    88' 505 GTI Wagon - PARTING OUT PM ME

Gone -
    04' 206 RC (GTI180)
    2 X 405 STI,
    405 MI16
    98' 406 Coupe
    406 2l
    91' 205 SI
    306 Style,
    3 X 306 GTI6

Thanks Rob. With a bit of luck, Codman may have provided a solution.

2pac, no, I don't but as I said to Rob above, the problem may have been solved.

John505,

Thanks, your advice sounds good.

Forgive my ignorance but could you explain what you mean by "have the heater line full on"? Also, am I right in assuming by "pressure cap" you mean the cap on top of the radiator?

He means to simply turn on the heater. Not the fan, but the slide control.

There is a valve which shuts off and turns on coolant flow to the heater, transferring heat from the cooling system to the inside of the car.
    Coolant runs through the heater core inside the car and if you are draining the radiator some heaters may be "uphill" of this, and you want to have the residual coolant drain out of the heater inside the car.

If you are flushing the cooling system, you most definitely want the heater turned to the "on" position for the same reason. The heater core is part of the cooling system.

The pressure cap is usually the radiator cap, but in "ordinary" 505s there is a plastic overflow bottle in the engine bay and this has the pressure cap on it. I think it is the same with the GTI.

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator (in the SR and GR model, anyway), and I once broke it. Instead of the plug coming out the whole damn attachment came off and I had to remove the radiator and solder it back into place with a small blowtorch.
    They aren't getting any younger. Best put back the plug gently with a bit of plumbers teflon tape instead of tightening it up more tightly than that onto the copper washer.
    Last edited by Beano; 12th November 2016 at 10:14 PM.

Beano,

Brilliant mate, thanks.

Codman, I sent a PM yesterday but it doesn't seem to have gone through properly.

Your set of radiator hoses sounds great. What sort of price did you have in mind?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    The pressure cap is usually the radiator cap, but in "ordinary" 505s there is a plastic overflow bottle in the engine bay and this has the pressure cap on it. I think it is the same with the GTI.
    GTIs had the same hard/brittle plastic bottle that has the pressure cap.
    406 HDi

I'm starting to fret about this now that I think about it

My 31 year old 505 SR has the original radiator and pressure bottle with plastic pressure cap.

Ingolf,
    The fellow explained by what I meant when I said that "the heater line is on". Also the cap on the top of the radiator is just a cap but it needs to not be split or cracked and to achieve a seal. The plastics are not getting any younger I'm afraid.
    John505

John505,

Nor me. Soon as I get hold of the hose, I'll be trying to put all this good advice into practice. Thanks.

I took my old one into supercheap for a sample and went through their bin of hoses and found one that fitted fine no problems

Good thinking, signwilson. Much appreciated.

Thread Information