Peugeot 407 alternator problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Peugeot 407 alternator problems

Hi, I have a 2004 407 V6 SV sedan. Driving recently the battery sign appeared on the front dash. I thought the battery was the problem as it's 5 years old. On replacing the battery there was no charge from the alternator. The alternator itself is very robust in design and unlikely be the problem, I believe it may be the regulator. I'm informed it's very expensive to replace the alternator, has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, what is the solution. Appreciate your assistance. Regards, Bill

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Billeden View Post
    Hi, I have a 2004 407 V6 SV sedan. Driving recently the battery sign appeared on the front dash. I thought the battery was the problem as it's 5 years old. On replacing the battery there was no charge from the alternator. The alternator itself is very robust in design and unlikely be the problem, I believe it may be the regulator. I'm informed it's very expensive to replace the alternator, has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, what is the solution. Appreciate your assistance. Regards, Bill
    Alternators are fully serviceable item. Repairers replace them because of convenience (read laziness).

In your case I'd suspect the rotor brushes are worn, and that is the reason it not charging.

For a skilled auto elec it easy job to replace them. It will probably take longer to R & R alternator Than to fit new brushes.

Finding a skilled tradesman is most likely your greatest challenge.

Tadpole

Thank you for your contribution. I am unaware the alternators had brushes. The my understanding is that the rotor is a permanent magnet, the voltage is created via the 3 phase stator. I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Billeden View Post
    Thank you for your contribution. I am unaware the alternators had brushes. The my understanding is that the rotor is a permanent magnet, the voltage is created via the 3 phase stator. I could be wrong
    To make a generator work you need to create a rotating magnetic field between the rotor and stator.

In an alternator the magnetic field is produced in the rotor. The stator current is rectified by diodes.

In a dynamo the stator is magnetized and output taken from the rotor . Rectification is done by brush commutation on the rotor.

In an alternator the rotor current is controlled by the regulator to control the output voltage.

There are a pair of slip rings on the rotor, on the non driven end. And a pair of brushes on the rear end casing, usually integral with the regulator assembly.

The rotor can't be permag (as in a motor) because the excitation (rotor magnetization/ flux density/ rotor current) needs to controlled by the regulator to set the output voltage.

Here is a link to the Bosch K1 series repair page. This is a generic alternator and many other integral regulator alternators are very similar. Have a look at the circuit and exploded diagrams and you see what I'm getting at.

http://apps.bosch.com.au/AAExtranet_...n/altR11-0.pdf
    (this link will upload a pdf file - it may take a several seconds to comoplete)

Failure of rotor brushes is very common and sometimes brushes can replaced, with the alternator on the vehicle, by removing the brush/ regulator assembly. Bosch are like this.

Of course this depends of particular alternator and the available access. I'm up to speed to with Bosch and Lucas Alternators only.

If you are are relatively mechanically savvy, I'd have no concern about suggesting that you check out the brushes yourself.

Don't get tricked into replacing the entire machine for a pair of $5 brushes.
    Last edited by robmac; 5th November 2016 at 08:38 PM.

There are plenty of 406SVs that were thrown to wreckers due to the blown transmission. I bet there are plenty of alternators from them that haven't done a great deal of work too. Try our wreckers who advertise on this site and they should be able to get you a good one.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Default Peugeot 407 alternator problems

We had a problem with the alternator on my wife's 406 ST. The replacement part was almost $1000.00. New alternators are close to that cost (actually cheaper). I ended up getting a second hand one which only needed brushes. To make it really good. V6 and ST alternators are different but I guess the principle remains as far as cost.
    I suggest you get it checked out first by an auto electrician.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thread Information