206 GTI Windscreens
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Berridale
  • 1 Post By DRD180

Thread: 206 GTI Windscreens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mole Creek Tasmania
    Posts
    63

    Default 206 GTI Windscreens

    My 2003 206GTI has a nasty crack in the windscreen. Checked with the local windscreen guy and he says the screen has a UV layer, along with the rain sensing etc and cost to replace is $725. He also said that I could get a rain sensing screen without the UV layer for $425. Since the car is only third party insured, the cost is down to me. Does anyone have any idea how important the UV layer is?

    I suppose it's impossible to salvage the screen from my parts car?

    Thanks for any help

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    the famous 18E pug206gti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    11,055

    Icon6

    G'day,
    Is that the purple layer, [thermal] or similar, to reduce heat inside. You could probably find one at a wrecker.

    eg,

    Wrecking Peugeot 206 GTI
    regards,
    Les W.


    206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?








  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! DRD180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thasala Thailand, Alexandria NSW
    Posts
    296

    Default

    I have not used the UV (metallic) Screen for almost 6 years now and have not noticed any issues, but the roads I travel, I am also replacing my screen every 18 months due to stone chips and cracks. have you tried a wrecker? I know pickings might be a little slim down in Tasmania but just across the ditch is the following, advertising here..
    Another 206 GTi wreck# sorry just saw that you have a parts car.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimHowe View Post
    My 2003 206GTI has a nasty crack in the windscreen. Checked with the local windscreen guy and he says the screen has a UV layer, along with the rain sensing etc and cost to replace is $725. He also said that I could get a rain sensing screen without the UV layer for $425. Since the car is only third party insured, the cost is down to me. Does anyone have any idea how important the UV layer is?

    I suppose it's impossible to salvage the screen from my parts car?

    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by DRD180; 2nd November 2016 at 06:38 PM.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Pick N Payless Blacktown NSW has a GTI shell with good windscreen - if you call and ask them they'll give you a price.
    Currently:
    Mazda MX-5 (my third and the third generation NC).
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mole Creek Tasmania
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Hmm. Hadn't thought it would be feasible to use a screen from a donor car. I have a parts car, so I'll investigate that option.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    the famous 18E pug206gti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    11,055

    Icon6

    Quote Originally Posted by dj4llen View Post
    Pick N Payless Blacktown NSW has a GTI shell with good windscreen - if you call and ask them they'll give you a price.
    G'day,
    go back two posts...

    Is that the purple layer, [thermal] or similar, to reduce heat inside. You could probably find one at a wrecker.

    eg,

    Wrecking Peugeot 206 GTI
    regards,
    Les W.


    206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?








  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Yes, that's the very Pug I was referring to. :-)
    Currently:
    Mazda MX-5 (my third and the third generation NC).
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jerangle
    Posts
    784

    Default

    OK guys.
    Don't think it is easy to get a 206 screen out because it is not.
    Your problem is that the bonding is very strong .
    Then your problem is the bottom edge is bonded and you need the dash out before you have a hope of getting a blade in to separate the screen. From the engine side it is no better.
    The bond is petrol/acetone resistant.

    Ralph Moore Auto Glass, Mascot in Sydney does these screens at the best price.

    As i said the bottom edge is.............
    dj4llen likes this.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! DRD180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thasala Thailand, Alexandria NSW
    Posts
    296

    Default

    as with all windscreens I have removed, piano wire or something similar is enough to cut through the sealant, just use a specialist to clean and fit the new screen. never had to remove the dash on my 180 and its had 6 new screens since new.


    Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post
    OK guys.
    Don't think it is easy to get a 206 screen out because it is not.
    Your problem is that the bonding is very strong .
    Then your problem is the bottom edge is bonded and you need the dash out before you have a hope of getting a blade in to separate the screen. From the engine side it is no better.
    The bond is petrol/acetone resistant.

    Ralph Moore Auto Glass, Mascot in Sydney does these screens at the best price.

    As i said the bottom edge is.............

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Jerangle
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Piano wire didn't work for me.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mole Creek Tasmania
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Thanks for all the insight. RACT are offering to install an non-UV screen for $358 after member discount. I'm thinking I will go that way unless there's a good reason not to. I'd rather keep the parts car water tight for now, if possible.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! DRD180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thasala Thailand, Alexandria NSW
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Piano wire takes practice tho. Am out at pick n payless now and the screen on the 206 here is cracked.
    dj4llen likes this.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Linton.Victoria.
    Posts
    1,235

    Default screen

    Quote Originally Posted by DRD180 View Post
    Piano wire takes practice tho. Am out at pick n payless now and the screen on the 206 here is cracked.
    Call Windscreen Power in Ballarat....They have contacts all over the place..I have dealt with them for many years.They import screens.

    Cannot guarantee Tassie but highly likely they can steer you in the right direction.

    Very hard to remove a wet seal screen without breaking.

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,494

    Default

    Kim, as far as I know the athermic windscreen just reduces heat, but I only the best advantage would be in protecting the dash plastics.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •