306 s16 2lt 1994 5 speed gearbox
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wintermute

Thread: 306 s16 2lt 1994 5 speed gearbox

Tadpole

Default 306 s16 2lt 1994 5 speed gearbox

G'day all, wanting to know how to adjust the clutch on my 306 s16, 2lt build year 1994.
    I can't seem to find where you adjust the cable? the pedal has to be completely floored hard to change correctly.

I recently had the drive shaft seals done by a mechanic who went ahead with a job that was supposed to have the torque mount done as well but I was given the wrong part so he done the seals even though I would need to take the shafts out again ( I done this myself in the end, prick of a job) I used 75W90 semi synthetic and since seems to be stiff occasional. Is this the right oil? I was told it would be.

Advertisement

Also I'm fearing that the gearbox actually needs to be replaced or at least rebuilt, I know the synchro's for 3rd need doing which aparently can be done through the side plate and more gears are playing up every now an then. Is the box in the 1.8 of the same era the same as mine? I have found the 1.8 at the wreckers.

Where would I be able to get a recon box from or get one done? 5 speed manual I'm in Adelaide.

I only know about other models, but I really think you should fix the clutch cable first and get it operating properly, _then_ worry about the gearbox.
    Many of your symptoms may disappear with a properly-operating clutch.

Someone else more knowledgeable than me will be along soon, but I seem to recall certain models having self-adjusting clutches.
    You put those cars into reverse gear, with the handbrake on, then take your foot off the clutch and intentionally stall it....in reverse.

Yep the S16 has a self adjusting clutch, do as Beano suggested (stall it in reverse) and it will hopefully adjust itself.

The gearbox is a BE3, the ratios in a 1.8 box may not be the same as in the S16 but then again, they probably differ from car to car (of the same model) anyway from what I have read/been told

If you are thinking of doing the gearbox even more important IMO is the Diff. It is the weak link, and if it goes it will take the box with it. 306 S16 gearbox removal

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Tadpole

Cheers boys. will try the stall approach.
    Any idea where you drain the radiator?

75W80 is the correct gearbox fluid, but there are plenty of people here that use what you have. If you feel like it, you could throw in a tube of Nulon G70 It seems to work ok.

From memory, clutch cables are notoriously stiff on the S16 and GTi6. It's a difficult and convoluted run.

On the radiator, the original units had a small tap on the lower radiator pipe.

A quarter or half turn would open the drain, though you'd be advised to read up on the correct bleeding procedure before getting into this though.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Yep the S16 has a self adjusting clutch, do as Beano suggested (stall it in reverse) and it will hopefully adjust itself.

306 S16 gearbox removal

Tony.
    Does that work on the GTI6?

I would assume so (provided it has the same sort of self adjusting cable). I'm not sure why it works, But Adrien told me about it when I got my gearbox done and I've tried it a few times and it does the trick on the S16

Tony.
    dhaw likes this.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

Bit late to the party but I can confirm the GTi6 has the same adjustment device.

I've heard of the stalling in reverse method, but have always used a different one myself. You simply push the clutch in as far as you can, then slide your foot off to the side and let the pedal snap back. Repeat 2 or 3 times for good measure. Hasn't failed me yet!
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Thread Information