Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By Jill
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: 2001 Peugeot 307

Tadpole

Default 2001 Peugeot 307

Hatchback
    Hello my name is Jill and this is my first time on here. Can some one tell me where to check the oil in the auto transmission. I didn't,t get a book with the car so thank you for such an informative place for me to come to.

Advertisement

Sent from my MID-744 using aussiefrogs mobile app

I believe you have the non service required 4 speed AL4. How many kms on the odometer as these automatics should have an oil change every 60k. Welcome on board

Sent from my GT-I9195T using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Since Jill states in her heading that it's a 2001 hatchback, it's definitely not a T6, so Andrepug's 2nd link can be safely ignored in this case.

Jill, the gearbox/auto trans can vary with the engine (as well as year model), but in this case it's almost certain that your car has an AL4 transmission. Don't worry about not having the book - it tells you how to drive the car, but almost certainly would not have any info on auto trans maintenance...

Why do you think the fluid level needs checking? Is the auto trans misbehaving in some way? Unfortunately this auto doesn't have a very good reliability record, partly because, as dimistyle says, the manufacturers advertised it as 'sealed for life'. This is a complete nonsense, especially in hotter climates like Australia, and failure to change the fluid regularly will almost always shorten the life of the moving parts. This is a shame, as 307s seem to be otherwise reliable.

If you are having problems, I encourage you to describe them as thoroughly as possible - there are several people on this forum who should be able to accurately diagnose the cause, and what it's likely to cost to fix.

Cheers

Alec
    dimistyle likes this.

Tadpole

Thank you Alec. No the auto transmission is behaving well. I just thought it WO!uld be a good idea to check the oil level so thank you so much for your help

Sent from my MID-744 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    dimistyle likes this.

1000+ Posts

Great!

As you do the reading (use the forum search function, or just Google - there is a lot of information/discussion on AussieFrogs about theAL4), you will find that

a) The AL4 is very specific about what fluid it will accept

b) There is no dipstick

c) In a normal fluid change, only a portion of the ATF (auto trans fluid) is drained and replaced - this is common across most autos

If you have no evidence of the ATF having been checked/changed before, I would definitely recommend getting it changed ASAP. The level can really only be checked when refilling the box (overfill slightly, let the excess dribble out - when it stops the level is correct). Also, budget for doing the process 2-3 times in fairly quick succession, as this will get rid of a greater proportion of the old, dirty, fluid.

Remember - if the wrong fluid is used you will almost certainly make the situation worse than if you had done nothing...

Cheers

Alec
    dimistyle likes this.

Thread Information