Pug 306 refurbishment plan and will a 307 2.0L motor fit?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Pug 306 refurbishment plan and will a 307 2.0L motor fit?

Hello,

Background:
    I'm looking at buying a 2001 2.0L 306 manual (has rallye stickers) with nearly 260k km on the clock.
    Cosmetically it's good but a bit tired suspension-wise/mechanically. It's been well serviced, but I'd like to look at refreshing a good second motor to put in it and perk it up a little bit. It's ultimately a combination daily driver/tinkering toy/drop the kids at school so needs to be a bit of fun but still habitable. It won't be a track day car.

Advertisement

The list of things I'd look at doing (myself) are:
    Rear beam rebuild - lower the rear, maybe stiffer arb but not silly.
    New control arm bushes - are black poly bushes too harsh for a daily driver?
    Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks - any better options
    Eibach springs
    New brakes
    Refresh other mechanicals as required.
    Get the air-con working

So is a 307 2.0L motor interchangeable? The plan would be to get a motor, dismantle, inspect, new gaskets put it back together (maybe with a cam grind...)

Are there other bits that could be snaffled for a 306? suspension etc?

Cheers,

Chris

Don't do it! The xu series motor in the 306 is a much better engine than the ew series of the 307. 306s are great cars and I doubt the motor would be worn out enough to be worth the hassle. May have a few oil leaks but there generally pretty well lasting. If you want more power maybe try to find a 306 gti6 motor and fit that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Or just buy a Rallye with much lower k's to start with? eg 2001 Peugeot 306 Rallye Manual MY01

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Don't do it! The xu series motor in the 306 is a much better engine than the ew series of the 307. 306s are great cars and I doubt the motor would be worn out enough to be worth the hassle. May have a few oil leaks but there generally pretty well lasting. If you want more power maybe try to find a 306 gti6 motor and fit that.[/URL]
    Ok, so the 307 has a different motor... There was a 307 car with motor in bits going cheap - not worth the effort then?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Or just buy a Rallye with much lower k's to start with? eg 2001 Peugeot 306 Rallye Manual MY01
    Yes, I saw that 306 and I'd be looking at least at $5500 to buy it and bring it to Perth. The car I'm looking at is $2k, but cosmetically good and I've got about $2k to tinker with it - cheap 'n cheerful. There's a 306 XSI going for a bit more $$ which drives nicer but the bodywork/paint/trim is not so good. Mechanics I can do myself (and is half the fun). Bodywork I'm not so keen on.

Cheers,

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

I also suggest you don't change the engine, but not because the EW is worse than the XU series, just because there's no real point. It would be a bunch of hard work for little gain.
    If you want to hot up an XU engine, there's plenty of parts around to do that.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Thread Information