2006 407 SW auto gearbox -Gear change -sometimes "Clunky"
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PeterR

Thread: 2006 407 SW auto gearbox -Gear change -sometimes "Clunky"

Default 2006 407 SW auto gearbox -Gear change -sometimes "Clunky"

My recent purchase of a delightful 2006 407 SW wagon has just one problem. When cold the gear change is smooth, but after a comparatively short distance the gear change is sometimes, what I would describe as "Clunky". As far as I can determine the last service would have been 20,000 kms ago, if it was done. I would want to change the fluid and filters (how many?) but I would appreciate any comments, especially if you have experienced similar problems.

Advertisement

The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

1000+ Posts

6 speed or 4 speed? Robmac is referring to 4 speed (AL4) problems.

Just to clarify, we are talking about a 6 speed auto gearbox in the XFVJ model of a 2006 407 SW wagon. Is this an AL4 box or no ? Sorry to be repetitive as far as the threads are concerned, but I didn't get anywhere with my initial search hence my resort to a new thread. And I haven't had the car a week yet !

1000+ Posts

OK - yours must be a V6. Is it an SV? (ST is 4-cyl, SV is V6).

AL4s are a 4-speed box, only mated to 4-cyl engines. The 6-speed is the Aisin-Warner auto, sourced from Japan and apparently used in all V6 auto 407s (whereas I think V6 petrol Citroen C5s had the ZF 4HP20 up until about 2006 - another short-lived box).

The 6-speed is known as the AM6 - fluid should definitely be changed regularly - ignore any sealed-for-life nonsense - and it is extremely important to use the correct fluid. Here's a thread discussing same : C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic. Don't be put off by the AM6 in this thread being in a C5 - since 2006 the C5's have used the same box as your 407.

This Wikipedia thread gives a bit more general info (including the fluid specified). You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many cars use this box!

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    OK - yours must be a V6. Is it an SV? (ST is 4-cyl, SV is V6).

AL4s are a 4-speed box, only mated to 4-cyl engines. The 6-speed is the Aisin-Warner auto, sourced from Japan and apparently used in all V6 auto 407s (whereas I think V6 petrol Citroen C5s had the ZF 4HP20 up until about 2006 - another short-lived box).

The 6-speed is known as the AM6 - fluid should definitely be changed regularly - ignore any sealed-for-life nonsense - and it is extremely important to use the correct fluid. Here's a thread discussing same : C5 Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic. Don't be put off by the AM6 in this thread being in a C5 - since 2006 the C5's have used the same box as your 407.

This Wikipedia thread gives a bit more general info (including the fluid specified). You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many cars use this box!

Cheers

Alec
    I've got the same V6 and AM6. Yes, that sealed for life is nonsense. I have changed the Transmission oil few times (drains few litres every change).

Gear change has gone a lot smoother.

Fellow Frogger!

Is the gear change "flaring" and then "clunking". When my 407 V6 started to do that I was told that the solenoids that regulate the changes in the V6 407 need changing between 220,000 and 250,000 kms as they tend to fail and the car will eventually fail to proceed. The bloke who serviced my car has repaced the solenoid box three 407 V6 diesels in the last 6 to 8 months but no petrol models yet.

It is evidenced by a large clunk as it changes up a gear, sometimes 2nd to 3rd and others 3rd to 4th. I was quoted $2300+ for the dealer to supply and replace the solenoid box on my sedan so gave it, without fixing it, to my daughter-in-law, as she desperately needed a car, told her the problem and not to drive it too far or too long. It still "flares" and clunks but has not left her without any gears yet but we have been told it will happen. Car has done 270,000 kms so it will fail altogether soon but she is aware of impending doom. When it does we will just toss the car away and get her another one. Can buy another V6 petrol for not much more than it costs to fix so why not drive it 'till it drops?

I couldn't trust it as I drive to Sydney and Brisbane often enough so could not risk having a car with those sort of problems. Daughter-in-law just tootles around town and she loves the 407 so why not?

FLASH

In case you are interested in my journey concerning this problem, it is finally resolved and I have a wagon with a very smooth gear change, thanks to my good friend Balki, a fellow Forum member. Another friend suggested I look for "simple" things first and we discovered the RH engine mount was well worn and was replaced. To test it, we put the car in gear and with handbrake and foot brake on hard, pressed the accelerator. The engine moved forward about 100mm. -too much! Being a new car to me, I wanted as a priority to change all fluids. What was removed was in good condition and plenty of it. So, changing the fluid was not going to fix it. As B. had recently replaced, in a Citroen , the Valve Body of a V6, which was in good condition, but not perfect, we agreed to replace mine. With both components side by side it was noticed that one of the pistons was missing a pin,not restricting its movement. This was fixed and reassembled and it worked very well. It is now as it should be - smooth in all the changes.
    On another matter, B. also diuscovered that there were two bolts in the front suspension that were loose. If these had come out, it would have been disastrous, to say the least. So, QED !
    Armidillo likes this.

Thread Information