If It's Not One Thing It's Another (206 GTI)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By pugnut1
  • 2 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By The Gonz

Thread: If It's Not One Thing It's Another (206 GTI)

Fellow Frogger!

Default If It's Not One Thing It's Another (206 GTI)

OK, so the clutch suddenly went to the floor in the local shopping centre car park Sunday night. A little fluid leaking under the car.

Master or slave cylinder gone.

Advertisement

Buggar.

I'll have to get it towed because I don't want to do repairs in the shopping centre and I'm loathe to attempt hydraulics in any case.

Buggar again.

It it doesn't rain it pours, but I must rise above it... it's been a terrible year (not the car so much but for me generally).

1000+ Posts

Yes it's terrible when the dark clouds are directly overhead all the time. The only comfort is than sometime soon you can pass this on to someone else!!
    dj4llen likes this.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Quote Originally Posted by dj4llen View Post
    OK, so the clutch suddenly went to the floor in the local shopping centre car park Sunday night. A little fluid leaking under the car.

Master or slave cylinder gone.

Buggar.

I'll have to get it towed because I don't want to do repairs in the shopping centre and I'm loathe to attempt hydraulics in any case.

Buggar again.

It it doesn't rain it pours, but I must rise above it... it's been a terrible year (not the car so much but for me generally).
    Don't be wimp. Drive the car home without using the clutch.

Standard practice with 404 and 504 which have regular failures in clutch hydraulics.

Sad fact but true: cars have things go wrong with them and you are not alone with unreliability. Clutch hydraulics should be an easy fix.
    FIVEDOOR and dj4llen like this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Clutchless procedure. Yes something '04 and' 05 owners skill required. Can be a bit rough on synchros* but a bad ride is always better than a good walk!

*So I've been told.

Past experience with failed hydraulics on Leyland Hippo clutch. Loaded poids total 45 tons. Stop engine, put in lowest gear, operate starter. When mobile changed gears as normal.
    To reverse, stop engine, engage reverse, knock out of gear when reaching tipping bay.
    The boss didn't ask how I did it or he didn't want to know!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Don't be wimp. Drive the car home without using the clutch.

Standard practice with 404 and 504 which have regular failures in clutch hydraulics.

Sad fact but true: cars have things go wrong with them and you are not alone with unreliability. Clutch hydraulics should be an easy fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Clutchless procedure. Yes something '04 and' 05 owners skill required. Can be a bit rough on synchros* but a bad ride is always better than a good walk!

*So I've been told.

Past experience with failed hydraulics on Leyland Hippo clutch. Loaded poids total 45 tons. Stop engine, put in lowest gear, operate starter. When mobile changed gears as normal.
    To reverse, stop engine, engage reverse, knock out of gear when reaching tipping bay.
    The boss didn't ask how I did it or he didn't want to know!
    I would of just pushed the car out of the parking space and down what Wildebeest done with the truck.

When home get some new seals and brake fluid then reassemble and bleed.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Can be a bit rough on syncros* but a bad ride is always better than a good walk!
    Doesn't have to be rough on the syncros. With little patience and practice they can be as smooth as silk, one needs to find the sweet spot, to do so blip the throttle and let the revs drop and very gentle (don't force it) pressure against the gate, when the revs/speed are spot on it slips into gear like hot knife through butter, keep repeating until you find the sweet spot, after couple of changes you can get the speed right and it gets much quicker. Longest stint I have done is Byron Bay to Brisbane when I retrieved Dads car he had lent to my cousin when she was visiting from overseas. The only pain is starting and having to stop for red lights. To start, select first, engage starter motor and give it little gas
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Did that with an old Datsun 180B with no warning or prior experience. Start in first and do your own synchro at appropriate revs. Fun, actually. Men drive manuals. Real men don't need clutches.
    FIVEDOOR and dj4llen like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Well, the car has been towed to the local mechanic. Either I'll need a new clutch cylinder/s or the clutch its has gone AWOL after failing. The budget could do without a new clutch at the moment. :-?

Off thing is the car will no longer start. Battery is fine. Tried a jumper just in case. It's as though something is stopping the starter motor or the engine from turning. Tired to crank but gives up. Not the normal click-click-click low battery sound.

Anyone heard of sudden clutch failure causing other engine problems? Perhaps the Peugeot is just having a sulk until I get it back on the road?

It's as though the clutch has somehow jammed the flywheel except that the car till rolls freely in neutral.

Got a tow from a mate rather than pay $300 for a tow to take me few hundred metres to the local garage and I was surprised how light the steering still is (relatively speaking) without power steering. My old MX-5 without power steering was much tougher to turn at low speed.

Anyway, I'm happy with DIY but when the car doesn't want to move under its own power I feel that it's better to hand it over to someone with a hoist. Besides, I've never done clutch work before.

I'll keep you lot informed.

PS Love the clutch-less driving suggestions, but no.
    Currently:
    Mazda MX-5 (my third and the third generation NC).
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

[...]

It's as though the clutch has somehow jammed the flywheel except that the car till rolls freely in neutral.

[...]
    Of course it does. That's the point of neutral. The wheels are disconnected from the engine.

You should try to spin the engine by hand, just to check it moves, then check what's going on with the starter/flywheel gear mesh. Maybe the starter is stuck with the pinion thrown out. Rocking the car a bit in gear might release the pressure and allow the pinion to retract.

Well, you say money is thin, but then prefer to take it to the mechanics? A clutch job is easy but can be costly depending on how long it takes to take everything apart and put it back together.

And driving clutchless is a necessary skill if you want to stick with french cars.

Or german.

Or english.

Or italian, american, well, pretty much all of them.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 18th October 2016 at 12:33 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, tried the rocking. No dice. Just been doing some midnight research and I could start with the slave cylinder replacement myself but... done now... live and learn.

This forum is fantastic.
    Currently:
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

1000+ Posts

Not familiar with this model but if it has a concentric slave cylinder ,and it has collapsed, it could have jammed against the pressure plate ,gearbox out job ,pugs

Bush mechanic trick, seals leaking so matters not, any fluid will do including frog piss.

Will be dismantling to fix later, will get you home

Easy

Fellow Frogger!

:-)

Thankfully all that's wrong (they claim so far) is slave cylinder. $293 including Peugeot OEM and fluid flush and renewal. Cheaper than doing it myself.

Just be happy its an external slave cylinder - Renaults need the gearbox removed to replace a slave...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

So do 6 speed Pugs and Cits.

COL

Yep, tried the rocking. No dice. Just been doing some midnight research and I could start with the slave cylinder replacement myself but... done now... live and learn.

This forum is fantastic.
    If the starter motor is jammed up with the ring gear. Just remove the starter motor and see whats happening there, can also test starter motor out of car to see if it is good or not.

You can then also turn the motor over by hand to make sure that it is free to turn.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Stop engine, put in lowest gear, operate starter. When mobile changed gears as normal.
    In my megane 2, The start button will not engage the starter when the car is in gear, regardless of if the clutch is pushed or not.
    Makes stalling and restarting in traffic a rather stressful experience!!

Jo

Bummer.

Not only do they come up with more stuff that can fail, they also take away your options to get around problems.

We have a truck that self checks before start up and won't let you drive anywhere if everything isn't peachy keen (including indicator bulbs). It's german. Luckily it tells you what is wrong on the dash display (in english).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Ah...The advantages of the modern motorcar.
    OT. Include among this the imobiliser. The only thing they'll do is imobilise the owner!

The only thing they'll do is imobilise the owner!
    Wallet ?
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Update:

Well, that was fun. Clutch replaced. Never had a clutch go on me before, especially one where the pressure plate disintegrates jamming the flywheel.

Expensive little exercise: 12 months rego, new tyres and new clutch in two weeks. The clutch going was a sudden bit of bad luck but all's well now...

...On the road again...
    Last edited by dj4llen; 29th October 2016 at 02:15 PM.
    Currently:
    Previously:

Thread Information