Last trip to Toowoomba.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Last trip to Toowoomba.

Default Last trip to Toowoomba.

Last weekend, I went for a final trip up to Toowoomba to have a look around and see if there was anything worthwhile grabbing for the 203 restoration. Had mixed thoughts about what was and what could have been… The yard was full of wrecks, mainly Renaults and Peugeots and most beyond repair. Once retrievable, but time and weather have taken their toll. Yes, the proprietor could have done things differently in many ways, but clients/buyers also wanted things for nothing. The other reality is there just is not a huge market for old European marques.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	89990 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg 
Views:	948 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	89991 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	89994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	89995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1711.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	89996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	89997 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg 
Views:	878 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	90007 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	89998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg 
Views:	892 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	90001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1719.jpg 
Views:	911 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	90002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	90003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg 
Views:	883 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	90010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	90012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	90008 The cactus is a symbolic touch.

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg 
Views:	890 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	90014

Mike (Tippet), I recorded as many 404 ID plates as I could. Some numbers have been lost to the elements. There was maybe another three or four in the yard, but they were to over grown or the bonnets rusted closed.

Advertisement

Last trip to Toowoomba.-fullsizerender-1-.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1698.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-fullsizerender.jpgLast trip to Toowoomba.-img_1700.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1701.jpg
    Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1707.jpgLast trip to Toowoomba.-img_1708.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1716.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1715.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1725.jpg
    Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1730.jpg Last trip to Toowoomba.-img_1732.jpgLast trip to Toowoomba.-img_1734.jpg

It was a bit of a trip down memory lane as well, because hidden out the back under some trees was the 203 with the Rover (?) V8 under the bonnet. My kid brother (now 51) was navigating in it, the night it was wrapped around a gum tree whilst competing in The Wog and Frog inter club rally. The event was held in and around Charlie Moreland Park in Kenilworth State Forrest. It hit the tree just behind the ‘B’ pillar on the passenger side. There is a photo floating around somewhere taken from the front of the car with Terry standing in the impact zone. All you can see of him is his feet and head. He is lucky it didn’t impact 300mm further forward… You could see where it had been repaired, but to only suffer a similar fate later on.

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg 
Views:	878 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	90004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg 
Views:	922 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	90005

Never seen this product before?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	90017
    After the tomb raiders Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg 
Views:	810 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	90015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	90016
    Last edited by Dano; 16th October 2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Demannu, dimistyle, DeeCee and 3 others like this.

"Yes, the proprietor could have done things differently in many ways, but clients/buyers also wanted things for nothing"

Fact is that many buyers of parts wanted some sort of professionalism from the seller. Its a small world and he gained a certain reputation, second to none. Time and again I and others found themselves having to wait hours for some sort of service after making the trek up there following phone calls and then finding the fellow wanted top dollar value and seemed entirely reluctant to sell more than one item at a time. the last time i went there I was ripped off for some R18 Koni shocks that were in fact slightly bent though seemed ok. I'm still owed money for that. Time has moved on and now most of these parts cars will be scrapped more than likely.
    It is grievous waste.
    it is a consequence of a 'dog in the manger' coupled with 'chronically unable to prioritize' and 'poor communication' business model.
    True story.

thanks Dano for sharing this with us. very best wishes for your 203.

Well, the stock will become "dust to dust , ashes to ashes" , probably in longer time that many of the would be restorers.

And just like the intrepid restorers of advancing age, there is little to be gained on reflecting on what might have been or could have happened.

Or why the proprietor let the "future classics" deteriorate to scrap metal state.

Thanks all the same, Dano, for taking the time to show us some classic cars that many of us remember fondly from our youth.
    Dano likes this.

VIP Sponsor

203 has a Daimler V8.
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for taking the trouble Dano.....but oh what a waste when when many of us are labouring to keep these great old cars
    on the road or to bring them back to life!! Ah well, soldier on I guess. Cheers and keep up the good work. Deane.
    Dano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	90008
    A classic shot. How long has this car been sitting there, I wonder ?

Any parts still on that 505 or the 504, Dano ? like a diff, for instance ?

And what's the go with visiting and scavenging a few last parts ? Do the current owners mind, or require payment ?

I think in the collection of 404's at the yard is an early cream coloured sedan ('63?) with red interior. That was my first Peugeot during my Uni days. Originally Peugeot Grey, I spray painted it cream with some left over paint my Dad had and spent many years of enjoyable driving before upgrading to a 504. It has been sitting in the yard since the mid 1980's.

Neil

Fellow Frogger!

And how many tears of blood have you wept since Neil?

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post

And what's the go with visiting and scavenging a few last parts ? Do the current owners mind, or require payment ?
    The new owner has a courier business and has cleaned out the main shed to use. I think French Car Care in Brisbane has bought up most of the new stock. I talked to the new owner and he said he has sold many of the Peugeots, but still has a lot of Renaults. There are a few Saabs and various others as well. He said the average price he sold the Peugeots for was $500. So I would say yes he would require payment for parts, but I would expect he would be very fair, and I would guess would rather have the complete car gone.

The owner, John, said he would be there all day Saturday this week. I will be heading up with a car trailer Saturday morning to perhaps liberate something, but I don't know what it will be, or if I buy anything at all, until I get there.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

VIP Sponsor

What is happening to the V8 203 rally car?

Thanks Dan for getting those VINs for me. Soon to be gone, but now, not forgotten.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Graham,

When I spoke to John, he did not seem keen about selling that one. Not sure why? Its not in a good condition.

Previously, I had not listed John's details as I didn't have his permission. He is very reasonable to deal with, fair man.

John told me, Lew Partridge bought most of the Peugeot spares. There is still a limited assortment of new bits and pieces still there, mainly odd things. You would need to know what you are looking for, as there is no system to how it is/was stored. Many are now out of their boxes.

As for Renault, not sure what is there, I do know someone bought some of them...

There is a storage area/shed out the back, with lots of older model Renault doors and guards (all second hand) hanging under cover.

Cheers,

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 7th November 2016 at 09:38 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Let me know if he wants to sell, it has some history, although would need to be reshelled.

Graham will PM you

Hello all,

Just spoke to John of CW Couriers the new owner of Barry Stennett's old yard. He has given permission/has asked to publish his contact number.

It is 0488995124.

Cheers

Dano
    Last edited by Dano; 21st October 2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
    And how many tears of blood have you wept since Neil?
    Fortunately, I did acquire another nice 1970 404 after that as a second car which served us well before going to another owner. As a matter of interest, the 404 pictured with the racing number 5 on the door saw some track time with the owner of the business at Echo Valley hillclimb in Toowoomba and I believe at the dirt circuit at Millmerran during the late 70's and 80's. There also used to be a Ford Customline in the yard which was also used a circuit racer.

Neil
    DeeCee likes this.

Contact details for new owner, who may sell parts :

Contact detail - CWC Couriers Toowoomba (Barry Stennett's old yard)

Thanks Dano.

VIP Sponsor

I met Barry at Echo Valley in about 1993 when I was competing in a rally in a 504 Ti.

Thanks for posting up the pics Dano, one of the last of the old school wreckers. It looks like a real treasure trove of remaining cars and NOS parts!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I spent 5 hours looking through the yard and inside the various sheds today. I did bring a trailer, but did not buy a car. I did buy some parts, but only a little of it for me, mostly for friends. I bought a NOS set of pistons and sleeves for an R10, and second hand R16 front Konis, 4x R12 Driveshafts, 2x Early R16 Driveshafts, a pair of very good Kangaroo lights, a couple of sets of R16 rocker gear and some other oddments, all for a very reasonable price.

There are a lot more Peugeot new parts than Renault, of which there are little. I think you could spend a week there going through the boxes, and the sheds, and the cars, and still not have seen it all. Might be worth getting a rabies shot before entering. I did meet two friendly brushtail possums, but did think about the possibility of coming across a snake in the sheds/old van bodies used for storage. I doubt anyone has been in these outbuildings for many years, considering the old spider webs I broke through.

The owner has sold some Peugeots, but there are many left, mostly 504s incl LTI, some 505s, a couple of 604s, some 404s including 3 utes, a few 403s and 203s. A lot are beyond economic salvage. I mentioned the V8 203 and didn't seem adverse to selling it. It lives down the left back corner of the block under some trees. You would need to cut the back fence next to the rail line to retrieve it.

In Renaults there are many R10s(2x Round eye),R12s, R16s(all rectangular tailight I think). I think 2 x R20(1 series 2, 5 sp) 4 x R25. No R8s, 15/17, Dauphines, 4CVs. One complete R4 van with a reasonable hit in the front and significant rust.

There are many R16 gearboxes, heads, and some blocks. It is quite a sensory overload just going through the boxes and boxes of parts. There may be 500 new spark plugs in two styrofoam boxes, 3 x 10 packs of Golden Lodge, many Equiem(spelling) and Champion, some NGK.

So probably worth the visit for those of us with these vehicles. I expect I will go back.
    DeeCee likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

Ah, gentlemen, there is hope for us Francophiles yet with people like Dano and Alan continuing to treck into the wilderness on our behalf.Dano's initial voyages into 'The Land of the Lost' and the later expedition of Alan with his subsequent detailed reporting is to be commended.
    No doubt Graham Wallace will be sharpening his chainsaw now to get at the Daimler/203; a railway fence is a mere impediment! Nothing like a challenge is there Graham and if it is a mechanical one so much the better!
    Well done lads.....the spirit of Burke and Wills lives on.
    Dano likes this.

Good summary Alan,

Like yourself, I too suffered a bit of overload. Did you miss the God knows how many brake/clutch rubber kits there are on the shelves? Some unlabelled other with genuine Renault and Peugeot stickers attached.

As for snakes, many a boot lid or roof was banged pretty hard (couldn't damaged the cars any more), prior to opening or looking underneath. About two years ago the grass across the whole yard was waist deep.

Cheers

Dan

On my first trip up there a few weeks ago, I did score these two little gems.

The first one I assume would be quite rare, as it deals specifically/only with the original 203 model. As you can see in the second image, it was produced in 1949.

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	90308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	90307

The second one, deals only with the mechanical and electrical systems and the applicable replacement parts of the 203C model. The blueprint drawings are detailed and interesting.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	90306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	90305

As I was only looking for 404 and 203 bits and pieces, I didn't take a lot of notice about of what other manuals were up on the mezzanine floor. There was an assortment of genuine Peugeot and Renault ones lying around on the floor. When I returned two weeks ago, I couldn't see/find them anymore. They have either been taken/sold or placed into one of the many polystyrene boxes up on the mezzanine floor.

As there are no stairs up to the mezzanine, one has to climb up the racking to gain access.

Cheers

Dano

JealouS! please tell me you are going to able to make scans publicly available Dano?
    FIVEDOOR and DeeCee like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information