• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Warus
  • 1 Post By Warus

Thread: 205 glove box

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 glove box

Are the early series 1 glove boxes physically the same as the later ones other than colour? I have a perfect glove box in the box of spares but I'm not sure it will fit as most of the lower dash was busted off. It fits perfectly in the hole that's left behind though.

Also I have a lower dash piece that's black and I thought belonged to a later series also in perfect condition but when I put the glove box with it the catch does not line up. The glove box catch is offset to the right a bit and the dash part is centered and also has a small courtesy light on the right side. Is that a 205 piece or 405?

Advertisement
    MayheM likes this.

Hi, S1 dash is completely different. S2 & S3 are the same except for being different colours, S2 grey and S3 black. The glove boxes are not interchangeable between S1 to S2/3.
    What parts to you have spare? S1? or later?
    If you have a spare S1 glove box you'll have a queue to take it off your hands (myself included), rare as rocking horse droppings!

Default 205 glove box

Some pics from the web...

S1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Series 1 dash3.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	89957

S2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dash2.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	89958
    Last edited by CEyssens; 27th October 2016 at 12:36 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

No it's the higher version series 3 it seems. Found the remains of the original which is just the front face part and the good one is much higher. I have no lower dash on that side at all just a big hole so it roughly looked OK in there hence the query. You can see in the second photo how the catch is off centre to the right

Fellow Frogger!

That moment of terror after spending all week gluing together 20 pieces of glovebox into a reasonable looking piece to have it catch on your shirt as you walk past and it spins off the top of the tool box lid in slow motion towards the concrete floor. Luckily I caught it without snapping anything else.

There are 3 mounting screws across the front up into the dash pad that as usual have all snapped. I was thinking of gluing some washers in place and using small bolts to secure the pieces together. Has anyone else got a better idea to replicate the mounting holes?

Also has anyone tried the DIY flocking? My dash pad has some sort of stain in the tray part and I was thinking dye but then read about flocking which I though may hide some of the repairs.

Also did the series 1 share a dash with the Si or are they all later models? I need the piece around the clock as it's snapped and a part is missing.
    lion5 likes this.

Si dashes are all the same as s3 GTI.

Fellow Frogger!

That shrinks the supply pool down even more Stupid 80's plastic

Fellow Frogger!

Any suggestions on repairing these 3 mount points?

Under the dash pad on the passenger side where the lower dash screws into the dash pad there are 3 mounting points that were originally like little tabs of plastic with a hole in it that a metal clampwent around allowing the screw to hold the dash up in place. Each of the tab parts are broken off.

I was thinking of gluing washers around the holes of the lower section to provide a bit more strength to the fairy dust it's made from then using a small bolt and nut arrangement through each of the mounting holes to secure the 2 parts together but without the tabs of plastic there is nothing to mount into. Maybe one of those small metal L brackets that Bunnings have glued to the remaining plastic to reform the tab with a hole? Any other ideas that might allow the 2 sections to join together with a bit of strength?

Here is a shot looking up under the dash with the fuse panel held in place with cable ties. The Vinyl covering shows where the mounts should be but the plastic behind has snapped off. That screw and metal clamp is just on the vinyl and flaps about.

Thread Information