Tyres for Peugeot 407 SW wagon
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 4cvg

Thread: Tyres for Peugeot 407 SW wagon

Default Tyres for Peugeot 407 SW wagon

What are the best makes of tyres to run on a 2066 Peugeot 407 SW wagon? How does Pirelli rate ?

Advertisement

Wow. Still using tyres and wheels in 50 years! Weren't we promised hover cars by then?

Anyway, I have a pair of Pirellis on the front of my C5 wagon and I'm very happy with them. When the noisy chinese jobbies on the back wear out I reckon I'll get another pair of the P7's.

The purist in me would love to go Michelin, but recent experience with them (on an otherwise quiet Clio in the UK) seems to indicate they've got really noisy over various road surfaces. This is disappointing as I always used to run Michelin back when they were affordable and out performed every other tyre. (And were quiet) Doesn't seem to be the case any more in my humble opinion.

That's my 2 bob's worth. You'll find as many different opinions on tyres as there are posts made I suspect!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Have a look here for variations on this topic ; Tyre grip vs Longevity.. recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    What are the best makes of tyres to run on a 2066 Peugeot 407 SW wagon? How does Pirelli rate ?
    Most big manufactures sell a range of tyres.
    Look at the premium end of the range for the "best" and avoid the budget models.

Sometimes one brand will jump out as monumentally cheaper for a similar product.
    for my tyre choices over the last few years, bridgestone have been the clear winners on price, especially when they do their buy 4 get one free deal.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Wow. Still using tyres and wheels in 50 years! Weren't we promised hover cars by then?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Of course they have but this is Northern Tasmania, 2066 remember. They have to travel back to our time to source their vintage 'road car' tyres powered by petrolene (or whatever it was called) before the oil ran out.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

MIne are 215 55 17's, I assume yours are the same. I have successfully used both Micheling LC's andCONTINENTAL CONTIPREMIUMCONTACT 2

1000+ Posts

If you are coming across to Launceston on the 7th November for the Frogs & Wogs display at the Automobile Museum, then we could chat then. In the meantime, it would help to know the tyre size & your priorities (there's no such thing as the best tyre simpliciter there's only the best tyre at this & that; tyre performance parameters don't march in step).

cheers! Peter

Hi Peter! Thank you for this info. I have not been a member for a few years and therefore out of the loop. Kindly let me have more details. Kind regards, Sincerely, Peter (PeterR)

Fellow Frogger!

I run Michelin Primacy LC on my V6 407 (sport) waggon. It replaced a 407 (sport) sedan and have only owned the wagon for 16 to 18 months but when I got it it had new Bridgestones fitted.

I changed over to the Michelins the day after I got the waggon and have not regreted it one bit. Not a fanger but not the most sedentary driver either and, if it is anything like the 407 sedan I should get 60K to 70K out of them without any significant drop off in performance over the life of the tyre. I do between 30K and 40K a year mostly on highway stuff with a bit of town in between.

FLASH

Flash,
    Your quoted kilometerage is ideal for the dollar spent on Michelin. Most of us low mileage Michelin owners have found them rotting/cracking out from under.
    What has happened to the 'old firm'? In my 404 days the Michelin would outlast the car!
    I now have to settle for "as long as it's round, black and rubber" it will do.

Regards from Mrs 'beest.

Fellow Frogger!

I know what you mean about tyres not getting much use. Carolyn's 203 does less than 1.500 miles a year and I put two new Michelin XZXs 2 years ago following tread separation after running over a horse shoe nail. They were only 18 years old and getting harder as I watched them. Carolyn doesn't drive her car in the rain - only caught three times in the last 18 years so hardness not too critical but I would be happier if the ones on the rear were newer.

Bought two new XZXs for the front wheels out of England (quoted $380 + by Michelin Aus compared to just over $200 each, including shipping, from UK) and am thinking of getting three more to replace the 18+ years old two on the back and an even older one as a spare in the boot.

Good to hear you and your "Good Looking Missus" are still about Mate. You still dreaming of an Australia with a government led by Bob Menzies?

1000+ Posts

Hi Peter! Thank you for this info. I have not been a member for a few years and therefore out of the loop. Kindly let me have more details. Kind regards, Sincerely, Peter (PeterR)
    As I said, if there's any urgency then some advice as to size & your priorities would help.

There are two excellent performance tyres in 215/55-17 if that's your size. The new Pilot Sport 4 has tested very well in European magazine tests & if crisp response & wet & dry grip are your priorities then it's the best choice. Close behind it for crispnesss & dry grip is Bridgestone's RE 003 Adrenalin. It's also good in the wet.

Coming down a class from these to the so called premium touring tyres, the standouts as well-rounded, good in all disciplines, tyres are Continental's PremiumContact 5 & Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance. Both are class leaders in European tests & the choice between them would best be made on price. Continental, like Bridgestone, periodically offers "4 for the price of 3" deals & I expect the next one to begin in November. If I'm right, then that would favour the PC5.

In that same class, the Pirelli & Michelin offerings are relatively mediocre unless you value comfort & longevity above all things. The LC trades crisp response for comfort & has relatively poor wet grip. The Primacy 3 ST is crisper & better gripping in the dry but still mediocre in the wet. Pirelli's offering here is the P7 &, again, wet grip (as compounded for Australia) is mediocre. Note that none of there are "Chinese dreadful" dangerous but why get something mediocre when there are two splendid offerings in the size?

A good source of magazine test summaries on tyres is the below:

Tyres Articles - Tyre Reviews

Go to "Reviews - by brand" select the tyre you're interested in & then select the "all tests" tab & browse. I'd ignore overall rankings & focus on the disciplines that you prioritise.

But if you are deferring decisions until November the 7th, then feel welcome to join us and we can chat in more detail. A flyer is below & if you PM me with a regular email address, then I'll include you on my club email notification list.

cheers! Peter

Tyres for Peugeot 407 SW wagon-frogs-n-wogs-day-2016a.jpg

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I know what you mean about tyres not getting much use. Carolyn's 203 does less than 1.500 miles a year and I put two new Michelin XZXs 2 years ago following tread separation after running over a horse shoe nail. They were only 18 years old and getting harder as I watched them. Carolyn doesn't drive her car in the rain - only caught three times in the last 18 years so hardness not too critical but I would be happier if the ones on the rear were newer.

Bought two new XZXs for the front wheels out of England (quoted $380 + by Michelin Aus compared to just over $200 each, including shipping, from UK) and am thinking of getting three more to replace the 18+ years old two on the back and an even older one as a spare in the boot.

Good to hear you and your "Good Looking Missus" are still about Mate. You still dreaming of an Australia with a government led by Bob Menzies?
    Why are you fitting XZX? They're awful tyres by modern standards. Hankook make a 165/80-15 in the K715 pattern &, while no class leader, it would be vastly superior to the XZX on any parameter you care to mention. Add in the huge cost benefit (Jax lists them for $112) & the merit of them being a tubeless type (fine for the rims - long story) & they seem the obvious choice.

For a test on them, see the below (an old test but it's an oldish type; note the comparison with Continental's excellent PC2):

2011 European Summer Tyre Test 175 65 R14 - Tyre Reviews

&, from a different site on the same test:

ADAC summer tyres test (175/65R14; 3.2011)212 | Laneks

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

It is my wife's (Carolyn's) 203 and XZXs are her preference. I don't argue as they seem to suit the 203 very well.
    FLASH

"What are the best makes of tyres to run on a..."

Best??? Depends completely on what matters to you most. Performance? (Dry or wet?, Made road or off the bitumen?) Longevity? Price? Side wall strength and protection? Load bearing capacity? Braking? Cornering? Puncture resistance?

Depending on your responses to such questions the answer could be anything from Kuhmos to Michelin to Nangkings, to Uncle Tom Cobleys & all!

Probably even Pirellis if your combo of needs is right! It is really, really hard to answer questions like this without more info about your vehicle, how you use it, and how much you value price versus performance versus endurance etc.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    It is my wife's (Carolyn's) 203 and XZXs are her preference. I don't argue as they seem to suit the 203 very well.
    FLASH
    Aha! How about telling her that if she lets you fit the K715, then the money saved can be spent at her discretion?

As a footnote to my previous comments, one technical failing of the XZX is that it does not have a zero degree nylon overlay belt between tread & steel belts. The K715 has this. But why does this matter?

One difficulty with steel belted tyres is getting the steel belts to bond satisfactorily with the "rubber". (All sorts of things have been tried - like brass-coating the wire). As the "rubber" hardens (owing to aerobic & non-aerobic chemical changes) over time, whatever bond quality was achieved in manufacture is degraded. Add in centrifugal force from rotation (& the attendant tendency for the belt to grow in diameter more than the "rubber" on its inner side) & that stressor can break the bond & lead to belt separation.

Thanks to a Pirelli invention, the nylon overlay belt, that process can be inhibited by the nylon belt constraining the steel belt & resisting its diameter increase. So, less likelihood of a belt separation.

In my view, the major merit of the tyre change for those who actually drive in wet conditions is the vastly better capacity of the K715 to cope with an emergency stop or swerve in the wet.

cheers! Peter
    jo proffi and cjl like this.

Peter, I live at 171 Winspears Road, about 1.6 km away and you are welcome to look at the Goodyear EfficientGrip on my C5's 16 inch wheels. They are the second set and have done 6000km. The last set did heaps more kms than anything else on the car, are very quiet and have a good wet road rating (not that we get much rain in SE Australia - just joking). These tyres are available at Beaurepaire on the lefthand side of Formby Road on your way to the big city centre. 4cvg reckons they suit most applications and what he doesn'y know about tyres would fit on a valve cap.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

1000+ Posts

I said above:
    "As a footnote to my previous comments, one technical failing of the XZX is that it does not have a zero degree nylon overlay belt between tread & steel belts. The K715 has this. But why does this matter?"

I Djetted across to Melbourne for the French Car Festival & one of the displays was by Stuckey's. Predictably, I had a squiz at the display tyres. To my delight, I'm wrong about the XZX structure. Whatever its other failings, the ones now made by Michelin differ from the originals in having a nylon zero degree overlay ply. (So, for that matter, do the Xas & XVS types.)

In short, I withdraw that structural objection to them. (Which is not to recommend them - I don't, I recommend against them - but just to note that they are without one flaw I thought that they had.)

cheers! Peter

Thread Information