2010 407 Coupe: Parking Sensors extremely after installation of Pioneer head unit
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hypermiler

Thread: 2010 407 Coupe: Parking Sensors extremely after installation of Pioneer head unit

Default 2010 407 Coupe: Parking Sensors extremely after installation of Pioneer head unit

Hi
    I've just installed a Pioneer head unit in my 407 coupe, to replace the Alpine unit that was installed by the previous owner. I was absolutely stunned when I pulled the unit out of the console because harnesses had been cut, connector plug removed, wires spliced and soldered, with meters of insulation tape to secure it all. It was a total dog's breakfast and I was wondering if I'd opened up a can of worms (it was worthy of the double metaphor!) The previous change from the factory unit also required the installation of a Connects2 Steering Wheel Control unit. It's complex loom was also part of the wire hacking.

In summary, I was able to restore the original wiring condition and had to purchase a new SWC (an Aerpro item,which is effectively a rebranded Connects2 unit) and recreated the intended plug-and-play scenario. Installed it, tested it in the garage and everything with regards to the actual audio/radio/bluetooth etc worked OK.

A great piece of work methinks, however.....when I went to take it for a drive.....

The parking sensors are now deafeningly loud!!! There is a reference to that outcome on the Aerpro website (and I have a tech support enquiry lodged with them) and it is apparently because of the amplifier that is part of the coupe's audio system.

Advertisement

From Googling the web I've learned that this problem is not unique to the 407, nor Pugs in particular. Irrespective of the vehicle, the common denominator seems to be the addition or presence of an amplifier.

Has anyone else experienced (or heard about) this problem and, more importantly, managed a workaround solution? (this is just in case I don't get anything back from Aerpro tech support)

Thanks

Fellow Frogger!

You don't drive in reverse that often that it's the end of the world is it? Disable the parking sensors if it bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    You don't drive in reverse that often that it's the end of the world is it? Disable the parking sensors if it bothers you.
    I wish it was that simple, but there is the matter of the front sensors as well, and with the Coupe's long snout, they are very useful. But even with the sensor volume disabled, I also get a the beep when I pass through the Reverse gate to engage Drive. Oh, and by the way, when it goes off, it sounds like the end of the world!

Fellow Frogger!

Is it feeding the reversing sounds in the analog inputs or are they generated inside the Connects adaptor box? Disconnect the grey and brown analog connections going into the Connects box and see if the reversing sound disappears. If it does then you can put an attenuator (volume control) on those lines and trim the volume to taste.
    dj4llen likes this.
    406 HDi

Thread Information