307 AM6 sliping and banging into gear
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 AM6 sliping and banging into gear

Hi guys, first post here!

I am having trouble with my new to me 07 307 136bhp AM6 110000km. I have changed the ATF oil with valvoline full synthetic max life just after buying the car, the old oil was wery Black!!

Now the auto slips under load sometimes when changing down and bangs into gear, I am not sure if the new oil has made it do that or if it was already doing it beforehand?

Advertisement

The maxlife oil I got is rated for JSW 3399. Does anyone know if I have used the incorrect oil?
    Or could it be another problem altogether?

Thanks for reading.

Roj

1000+ Posts

The AM6 box, the French designation for the Aisin Seiki AWTF-80 SC, uses a unique fluid. Because of this it is supplied by dealers. Fortunately for us, as Pug dealers want your eldest daughter, we can go to other makers who use the transmission to buy it, such as Toyota Type IV

There are a few threads in AF about it.

In some markets Aisin sell the fluid directly under their label. Not here.
    Last edited by seasink; 8th October 2016 at 08:29 AM.

1000+ Posts

Welcome to Aussie Frogs! As seasink says, there are earlier threads discussing this very topic.

Changing the fluid was on paper the right thing to do - it seems there is no such thing as "sealed for life" (or shouldn't be anyway). Here's hoping that using the wrong fluid hasn't caused permanent damage.

Presumably you've only done one change? So a substantial amount amount of the original fluid would remain in the box (now diluted with incorrect fluid)? In any case, you will now need to drain all the fluid before refilling with correct fluid. Can't advise how - I'm no expert on autos .

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Electroboy translated the well-known French language how-to at AM6 Gearbox Oil Change

Tadpole

Hi thanks for the replys!

I made two changes so there is about 7L of the new incorrect oil in the box. It actually runs fine until you load it hard or use the manual.

Would doing 3 changes using Toyota Type IV oil be the best thing to do?

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Roj00 View Post
    Hi thanks for the replys!

I made two changes so there is about 7L of the new incorrect oil in the box. It actually runs fine until you load it hard or use the manual.

Would doing 3 changes using Toyota Type IV oil be the best thing to do?
    I would get 3 x 4 Litre containers of Toyota Type IV oil and do the 3 changes, and see if it improves the gear changes.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Tadpole

Hi guys

In the weekend I replaced the ATF again but with Toyota type IV and all seams well! It is even using less diesel now.

I was surprised how dirty the ATF was after a couple of weeks! on a positive note for putting the incorrect ATF in, now I have a super clean gearbox.

Thanks for the posts pointing me in the right direction!

Fellow Frogger!

Hopefully you haven't done any permanent damage having the wrong oil in the gearbox. I need to do both our 407's for peace of mind.

UFO

I've used Penrite Fully Synth in my C5 X7 for a few changes over the years and it's doing fine. Clicked over 200k km today.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information